Bama coach hotboard......

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Except for Big Game James.
Other folks have his name in there as well, but I don't see it. Then again some PSU fans think we are as talented as Bama and a few other schools which is so absurd. I imagine Dabo gets first look, but maybe he is settled into Clemson...who knows.

Reactions: PSUAVLNC

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Seems about right. Does Dabo ROLL back to T-Town?

Lanning en route to Tuscaloosa already per flight tracker's on X. All are probably good candidates, but I think Lanning, Dabo, Kiffin, and even Franklin would be my top choices. Franklin has something going for him that no other coach on that list has (though, could hurt him in Alabama I guess).

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Yep. Good for James. If all of the rumored interest is being generated by his agent (and nobody here knows that for sure), he has a competent agent who is helping CJF take care of his family. Living the American Dream! :)
I see it a different way...IF and that is a big IF that is just agent driven....he's looking out for his client. He also knows at Bama you don't have to fight everyone in your administration for years to get changes to occur. You want another staff member...done. You want more $$$'s for recruiting, done. Again I think he is way down on that list and I'm not sure it is just agent generated, but it wouldn't be a surprise because PSU is a stepping stone program for a BAMA right now. That is where PSU is at. Hell outside of 2-3 schools that is the case really.

PSU fights change and makes bad decisions, but has a fanbase who thinks they are entitled to MNC's without really competing for them in every aspect. Harsh truth IMO. It would be one thing if it was just JF who had to say some of this, but OB wasn't hiding this sentiment either and said as much. The hope is with Kraft that this changes, but you can see the reluctance to some of the modern NIL changes. You probably don't see that in T-Town or quite a few other schools. There probably hasn't been a PSU team in the last decade he was here that was more talented than Bama....then again most schools could say the same. For some reason some think it's just a 4th down call that is separating the programs....zoom out.

Last edited:

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
The agent of Franklin is at it again. Gotta give him credit with his strategy to try and generate interest for his client when there isn’t any.
This is where our new ad says if you want to interview for it go ahead. We gave you a ton and if you still want to money grub go ahead and lay your cards on the table. Unlike Barbour who gave the store away. There is something called loyalty!

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Nick Saban - Genius Coach:

Recruiting Rankings (Rivals) by year:

2007 - 10
2008 - 1
2009 - 1
2010 - 5
2011 - 1
2012 - 1
2013 - 1
2014 - 1
2015 - 2
2016 - 1
2017 - 1
2018 - 7
2019 - 2
2020 - 3
2021 - 1
2022 - 2
2023 - 1
2024 - 3

Average Ranking - 2.3

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
The agent of Franklin is at it again. Gotta give him credit with his strategy to try and generate interest for his client when there isn’t any.

Yep. Good for James. If all of the rumored interest is being generated by his agent (and nobody here knows that for sure), he has a competent agent who is helping CJF take care of his family. Living the American Dream! :)
The notion that an agent, by getting his client mentioned by the chattering class, can engineer a salary increase is absurd (unless the coach's AD is incompetent, which probably accounts for 70% of them). ADs have, or should have, ways of knowing whether there is genuine interest elsewhere.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
It was all his charming personality. ;)

Yup. Hi Derrick Henry!

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Remember they were not very good when he came in. He left lsu for it. Which is amazing.

Reactions: NittanyBuff

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
The notion that an agent, by getting his client mentioned by the chattering class, can engineer a salary increase is absurd (unless the coach's AD is incompetent, which probably accounts for 70% of them). ADs have, or should have, ways of knowing whether there is genuine interest elsewhere.
Half these lists are talking heads throwing ***t against the wall and see what sticks. I'm not sure the agents even had time to float those names really yet. Dabo with Bama ties is a no brainer for any list, but other than that you just take the top coaches and throw them on a list as Bama will do more to win than most schools and these coaches all know it.

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
No, he left the Dolphins for it. And when you can't hand pick the best players for your team, you have MSU-like results. So, back to Bama where bagmen and handouts aren't frowned upon.
Oh you are correct. Some coaches are nfl and some are college. Very few can do both and he couldn’t.

Reactions: Midnighter

WVilleLion23

Oct 27, 2022
I don’t think it will be Oregon HC, but that is just my opinion.

I think it will be Kiffin in the end.

if I was to channel by inner Bob, I hope Franklin goes there a wins a NC. I hate us! Is that correct? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Daveb9127

Nov 29, 2021
Tuscaloosa would have a meltdown if they hired JF. I'm good with Franklin being here, I actually like him, always have, negatives and all. But Alabama fans would be up in arms if that was the hire. Just my opinion. Kind of surprised I haven't seen too many put Urban on those lists, he's always mentioned when a big time job comes up. DeMeco Ryans has a good gig going with the Texans, but the lure of coming home would be a slight tug, I would think.

Oct 12, 2021
Most of these guys are cromulent choices. I’ve been dying to insert “cromulent” into a post for weeks.
Acceptable, adequate, satisfactory.

Frequently used humorously or ironically in recognition of its origin as an invented word in the television programme The Simpsons (see quot. 1996).
[Mrs. Krabappel] Embiggens? Hm, I never heard that word before I moved to Springfield. [Ms. Hoover] I don't know why. It's a perfectly cromulent word.
J. Collier et al., Simpsons (transcribed from TV programme) 7th Ser. Episode 16Citation details for J. Collier, Simpsons

Hopefully he can throw a few cromulent innings for this pitching staff, especially since Garrett is now out for a bit.
www.redreporter.com 25 May (Internet Archive Wayback Machine 6 June 2017)

An arbitrary formation; compare ‑ulent suffix.
Notes
Attributed to David X. Cohen by Bill Oakley in his commentary included in the 2005 DVD reissue of Series 7 of the U.S. animated sitcom The Simpsons (with reference to the episode cited in quot. 1996). Compare embiggen v.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Other folks have his name in there as well, but I don't see it. Then again some PSU fans think we are as talented as Bama and a few other schools which is so absurd. I imagine Dabo gets first look, but maybe he is settled into Clemson...who knows.
The conference consolidation and uncertainty in the ACC may factor into Dabo and Norvell pursuing the Bama job.

As of today, Bama and the SEC is a much better bet long term.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
I see it a different way...IF and that is a big IF that is just agent driven....he's looking out for his client. He also knows at Bama you don't have to fight everyone in your administration for years to get changes to occur. You want another staff member...done. You want more $$$'s for recruiting, done. Again I think he is way down on that list and I'm not sure it is just agent generated, but it wouldn't be a surprise because PSU is a stepping stone program for a BAMA right now. That is where PSU is at. Hell outside of 2-3 schools that is the case really.

PSU fights change and makes bad decisions, but has a fanbase who thinks they are entitled to MNC's without really competing for them in every aspect. Harsh truth IMO. It would be one thing if it was just JF who had to say some of this, but OB wasn't hiding this sentiment either and said as much. The hope is with Kraft that this changes, but you can see the reluctance to some of the modern NIL changes. You probably don't see that in T-Town or quite a few other schools. There probably hasn't been a PSU team in the last decade he was here that was more talented than Bama....then again most schools could say the same. For some reason some think it's just a 4th down call that is separating the programs....zoom out.
Was not that long ago, little Nicky called up Joe to delay a game to another year because PSU would slaughter Bama. Joe was toooo nice and agreed.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
No, he left the Dolphins for it. And when you can't hand pick the best players for your team, you have MSU-like results. So, back to Bama where bagmen and handouts aren't frowned upon.
FWIW:

Saban took over at MSU in the wake of the Geore Perles mess.

In four years, he had a 500 or better B10 record each year, and in year 5 had a top 10 team (the highest ranked MSU team since their epic squad in 1966)
At which point he bolted for greener pastures - and MSU didn't have another top 25 team for a decade (and three coaches) later.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
FWIW:

Saban took over at MSU in the wake of the Geore Perles mess.

In four years, he had a 500 or better B10 record each year, and in year 5 had a top 10 team (the highest ranked MSU team since their epic squad in 1966)
At which point he bolted for greener pastures - and MSU didn't have another top 25 team for a decade (and three coaches) later.

Right, but that was as good as it was going to get and he knew it.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I expect you are correct. But he significantly elevated that program nonetheless.
He did at LSU too as they weren't involved in NC's or SEC titles for a couple decades prior to his arrival. There is no doubt he can coach, but the resources and talent can take good coaches and make them great. They can also expose mediocre coaches that take those 3-4 jobs where the programs on are on top 5 cruise control and they under-perform. I get that it's a great job, but replacing him there is also a huge responsibility with a HUGE microscope.

Reactions: MacNit

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Sandy was the definition of incompetent.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Tuscaloosa would have a meltdown if they hired JF. I'm good with Franklin being here, I actually like him, always have, negatives and all. But Alabama fans would be up in arms if that was the hire. Just my opinion. Kind of surprised I haven't seen too many put Urban on those lists, he's always mentioned when a big time job comes up. DeMeco Ryans has a good gig going with the Texans, but the lure of coming home would be a slight tug, I would think.
Bama’s current fandom would never tolerate a Franklin. Pre-little Nicky, things were bleak…they would have welcomed him then.

Reactions: Daveb9127

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
I would not rule out 99 3/4 of the coaches at this point. Will be interesting to see which way they go (young vs. old, pro vs. college, up and coming vs. high win percentage) and you have to wonder if Saban gets a say or do the old white guys with dollars ultimately pick their guy?

We do know it won't be Harbaugh -- can't hire someone who is going to get a show cause.

And then there's the guys who passed thru and possibly impressed internally. Bill O'Brien, Kiffin, Sarkasian in addition to Lanning. I'm guessing Dabo and his agent take a long look. Lanning does the same.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Someone proven as a winner and mature. Bama job ain’t no joke. Imagine coming in after the goat. Like coming in after paterno, Bryant etc. good luck.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
It's going to be interesting to see the dominoes fall with this.....although I am holding out that they bring in Jimbo. Just for fun.
Jimbo would make sense. Just bring in another WV home boy and keep it going!

Meats Lab

Nov 13, 2023
Nick Saban - Genius Coach:

Recruiting Rankings (Rivals) by year:

2007 - 10
2008 - 1
2009 - 1
2010 - 5
2011 - 1
2012 - 1
2013 - 1
2014 - 1
2015 - 2
2016 - 1
2017 - 1
2018 - 7
2019 - 2
2020 - 3
2021 - 1
2022 - 2
2023 - 1
2024 - 3

Average Ranking - 2.3
It’s the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s
Not the X’s and the O’s

Reactions: Midnighter

NitneLiun

Aug 24, 2017
What is his angle? Does he really think he can get Penn State to extend Franklin's extension? That ain't gonna happen. We have an AD who doesn't have his head up his ***. Sandy Barbour is long gone.

Latest posts