Bama coach hotboard......

OptionBob

Oct 12, 2021
HMM All Saban Team?????

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ban-team-best-players-nick-saban-ever-coached

How well does an All Paterno team stack up?

I would say that aside from QB and DB, an all-time PSU/JoePa team would rate very well.

The only problem is the difficulty of comparing players from 1967-2011 with those from 2007-2023.

Some will want to judge based on whether players were 1st-round NFL draft picks without acknowledging that there were fewer selections in Round 1 during most of Joe's career. Furthermore, I subscribe to the bizarre notion that a player's NFL career is irrelevant to his college career. Guys like Ki-Jana Carter and Dennis Onkotz had promising careers cut short by injury, while others blossomed in the NFL much more successfully than they did in college (Franco Harris, for example).

Overall, during Joe's tenure, the OL, RB, DL, LB, and TE groups were outstanding over a period of years. There were even a few WRs who had solid NFL careers in times when passing was not so dominant.

My opinion is not meant in any way to diminish the superior talent Nick Saban developed during his time at Alabama. I just think players in Joe's career are worthy of due consideration.

NoSoup4U

Oct 14, 2021
I would say that aside from QB and DB, an all-time PSU/JoePa team would rate very well.

The only problem is the difficulty of comparing players from 1967-2011 with those from 2007-2023.

Some will want to judge based on whether players were 1st-round NFL draft picks without acknowledging that there were fewer selections in Round 1 during most of Joe's career. Furthermore, I subscribe to the bizarre notion that a player's NFL career is irrelevant to his college career. Guys like Ki-Jana Carter and Dennis Onkotz had promising careers cut short by injury, while others blossomed in the NFL much more successfully than they did in college (Franco Harris, for example).

Overall, during Joe's tenure, the OL, RB, DL, LB, and TE groups were outstanding over a period of years. There were even a few WRs who had solid NFL careers in times when passing was not so dominant.

My opinion is not meant in any way to diminish the superior talent Nick Saban developed during his time at Alabama. I just think players in Joe's career are worthy of due consideration.
I would think Kerry Collins is just as good as Bryce Young

Are Engram, Butler, Jackson as good as Smith, Jones, Cooper? I would think WR PSU is at a significant disadvantage but thats sign of the era they played

Other groups I would agree PSU would stack evenly where Bama has edge on DB PSU has the same edge on LB

Reactions: Ironman2

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Looks like @BW Lion is now a Bama fan.

It’s nice that you thought enough of me to include a tag.

I think the Bama job is bigger than Rhule but I can also see how their native fan base would prefer him over someone like ……Franklin😎

OptionBob

Oct 12, 2021

Are Engram, Butler, Jackson as good as Smith, Jones, Cooper? I would think WR PSU is at a significant disadvantage but thats sign of the era they played

Other groups I would agree PSU would stack evenly where Bama has edge on DB PSU has the same edge on LB
Good points. I was thinking at QB about Jalen Hurts and the guy at Miami whose name I can’t spell (Tua Something). Collins and John Hufnagel are about it for genuinely great college QBs, and I don’t mean this as a slight of Fusina or Clark. I think MIke Robinson was more leadership and determination than QB skilled.

As for WR, I think OJ McDuffie deserves a mention among Penn State’s better WRs. But your point is certainly valid about the WRs Alabama sends to the NFL.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021

Collins is and will be better than Young …BY is washing out.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Good points. I was thinking at QB about Jalen Hurts and the guy at Miami whose name I can’t spell (Tua Something). Collins and John Hufnagel are about it for genuinely great college QBs, and I don’t mean this as a slight of Fusina or Clark. I think MIke Robinson was more leadership and determination than QB skilled.

As for WR, I think OJ McDuffie deserves a mention among Penn State’s better WRs. But your point is certainly valid about the WRs Alabama sends to the NFL.
Blackledge was a great me QB. And so was Fusina. Both Davey O’brien winners?

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
It’s nice that you thought enough of me to include a tag.

I think the Bama job is bigger than Rhule but I can also see how their native fan base would prefer him over someone like ……Franklin😎
Feel sorry for the Tide. Eight more years!

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
It's going to be Rees.

A 31 year old who has only been an OC since 2020? Certainly possible if they really love him, but just doesn't seem on brand for Alabama who feels like they'd go after an established head coach.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
A 31 year old who has only been an OC since 2020? Certainly possible if they really love him, but just doesn't seem on brand for Alabama who feels like they'd go after an established head coach.
Just reporting the leaks.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Aside from Nick Saban (and Kirby Smart in this particular case, but he ain't leavin' UGa) every coach is a calculated risk. If their choice doesn't work out, welcome to the merry-go-round. Bama has been there before.
Urban Meyer? Now that would be entertaining!

LionsMD

Jan 29, 2022
It seems that Mike Norvell turned down Alabama and just executed a new contract extension to stay at FSU. Sounds like Kalen DeBoer is the next man up! Kind of embarrassing for Alabama to have this play out in the media and certain of their key players have jumped to the transfer portal already.

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
It seems that Mike Norvell turned down Alabama and just executed a new contract extension to stay at FSU. Sounds like Kalen DeBoer is the next man up! Kind of embarrassing for Alabama to have this play out in the media and certain of their key players have jumped to the transfer portal already.

Better jobs than Bama (IMO):

Georgia
Texas
LSU
Michigan
USC
....maybe Oregon

Push:

Ohio State
Penn State
Notre Dame
Florida State
Florida
....maybe Texas A&M

LionsMD

Jan 29, 2022
So much for all that discussion a year or two ago about Dabo Swinney being the heir apparent to Saban at Alabama. Makes you wonder whether Dabo said No to Alabama or Alabama never considered Dabo.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Norvell (and his agent) Franklin-ed FSU... a little. They (FSU) were happy to extend him anyway, coming off the 13-0 season, and looking to position themselves as a desirable add for another conference (as opposed to Franklin's extension after two seasons of 12-11 record).

DeBoer was Alabama's #1 guy from the get go.

Reactions: Midnighter

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
Better jobs than Bama (IMO):

Georgia
Texas
LSU
Michigan
USC
....maybe Oregon

Push:

Ohio State
Penn State
Notre Dame
Florida State
Florida
....maybe Texas A&M
How so would be my question to you? A&M has never won anything and thinks their elite, doesn't make it so, Oregon definitely not on that level either no matter what metric you use.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
If true smart man. Now with playoff stay in easier acc. Why wouldn’t you.

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
So much for all that discussion a year or two ago about Dabo Swinney being the heir apparent to Saban at Alabama. Makes you wonder whether Dabo said No to Alabama or Alabama never considered Dabo.
Dabo's buyout if he were to leave for Bama was ungodly, don't think he wants to lave anyway.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Two thoughts:

1.Any coach taking the Alabama job is certainly not lacking in confidence.

2. The days of a top program paying "only" 7 figures for a head coach are over.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Two thoughts:

1.Any coach taking the Alabama job is certainly not lacking in confidence.

2. The days of a top program paying "only" 7 figures for a head coach are over.
Yep.....but it's an amateur sport with a level playing field. All 120+ 1a schools can pay 10+ million a year for a HC. 7 figures is for the coordinators now....good assistants on the staff are making in the mid 6 figures, but it's about the education and fair play. LOL....I can only laugh now as I used to buy that BS in my younger days. Now you buy the best staff and buy the best recruits. If you aren't in on the spending war you aren't "consistently" going to appear in the top 5 very consistently. NIL has at least given schools a punchers chance and I think that is also what led to Saban's retirement. He lost the one clear cut advantage team Dodge had.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
How so would be my question to you? A&M has never won anything and thinks their elite, doesn't make it so, Oregon definitely not on that level either no matter what metric you use.

It varies from job to job, but these are, IMO, the most well equipped going forward. Saban was the GOAT - but also a relic. There isn’t going to be another one like him. Bama was already starting to show dents in the armor; they can’t compete with the money Oregon, Texas, and A&M have. They could sell their coach though - but he’s gone. He thrived when bagmen could do their thing - now everyone can do it. LSU is the only school in the country that has had three separate coaches win a NC in less than 20 years. Louisiana is extremely talent rich and the kids like to stay home. Michigan is the premier job in the North and USC is the same in the west - I think they’ll thrive after Williams is gone. And sorry - I don’t want to live in Tuscaloosa. I imagine most people don’t.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
It varies from job to job, but these are, IMO, the most well equipped going forward. Saban was the GOAT - but also a relic. There isn’t going to be another one like him. Bama was already starting to show dents in the armor; they can’t compete with the money Oregon, Texas, and A&M have. They could sell their coach though - but he’s gone. He thrived when bagmen could do their thing - now everyone can do it. LSU is the only school in the country that has had three separate coaches win a NC in less than 20 years. Louisiana is extremely talent rich and the kids like to stay home. Michigan is the premier job in the North and USC is the same in the west - I think they’ll thrive after Williams is gone. And sorry - I don’t want to live in Tuscaloosa. I imagine most people don’t.
Just like a lot of young people don’t want to live in State College. It’s an obstacle.

Reactions: WVilleLion23