Baseball Coach Hot Board

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Pollard and Haire In That order. Shouldnt go beyond that.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
If we are who we think we are, we should be pulling an Alabama football move and have our coach, a couple assistants who should be head coaches somewhere, and about 8 "analysts" who should also be head coaches somewhere....

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Lemonis. Sadly, he’s not going anywhere.
The guy had to have been given this season to prove he is not the problem. He hasn’t done that. Firing him last season would’ve been suicide for finding a legit coach.

We have made some progress this year, but the coaching can’t get out of its own way. That’s all on Lem, and he won’t survive if we barely limp into the postseason. If we can lose to these no talent clowns, the sky is the 17ing limit for the rest of the season.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The guy had to have been given this season to prove he is not the problem. He hasn’t done that. Firing him last season would’ve been suicide for finding a legit coach.

We have made some progress this year, but the coaching can’t get out of its own way. That’s all on Lem, and he won’t survive if we barely limp into the postseason. If we can lose to these no talent clowns, the sky is the 17ing limit for the rest of the season.
He was always the problem. Stupid to not hold the head coach responsible. We get what we deserve.

Last edited:

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Miss State Pays the most with the Largest crowds. The hiring field is all yours. Think big time names.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I think you have to kick the tires on Mingione, Butch(I know he's had a ****** year, but he's taken auburn to two World Series), Haire, Lane, and I'd try Vitello even. Make them say no, and we go from there.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think you have to kick the tires on Mingione, Butch(I know he's had a ****** year, but he's taken auburn to two World Series), Haire, Lane, and I'd try Vitello even. Make them say no, and we go from there.
Let’s just quit even mentioning Butch. May as well just keep Lemonis. Which is what we’re going to do anyway.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
Let’s just quit even mentioning Butch. May as well just keep Lemonis. Which is what we’re going to do anyway.
What's the issue with Butch besides this year?

Hell prior to last year and this year Mingione hadn't done anything. He still hasn't taken a team to the CWS neither has Lane nor has Haire or Pollard.

Butch isn't my first choice, but I think it'd be incredibly shortsighted to not at least talk to him.

patdog

May 28, 2007
What's the issue with Butch besides this year?

Hell prior to last year and this year Mingione hadn't done anything. He still hasn't taken a team to the CWS neither has Lane nor has Haire or Pollard.

Butch isn't my first choice, but I think it'd be incredibly shortsighted to not at least talk to him.
98-126 SEC record. Sub .600 overall record. It would be a very Mississippi State hire.

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
How can you keep this clown. Friday night game against the rebels he did not ask for review in time. Yes we won the game. But that stupidity very may have cost us a run and in a tight game that could have been the difference in winning or losin.

Finally after weeks of watching Larry struggle at the plate Lemonis finally decides to push him down the order. Really? That should’ve been done weeks ago.

Cheese let’s a player walk into being picked off third.

i could go on and on with the total screwups Lemonis has let happen just this year. He’s not getting it done and don’t think he is capable of getting it done.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
How can you keep this clown. Friday night game against the rebels he did not ask for review in time. Yes we won the game. But that stupidity very may have cost us a run and in a tight game that could have been the difference in winning or losin.

Finally after weeks of watching Larry struggle at the plate Lemonis finally decides to push him down the order. Really? That should’ve been done weeks ago.

Cheese let’s a player walk into being picked off third.

i could go on and on with the total screwups Lemonis has let happen just this year. He’s not getting it done and don’t think he is capable of getting it done.
He was given his chance to make changes, and he only picked Foxhall. And, he truly made a fine replacement there, but we just don’t have the arms we need.

We have lost at least 10 games so far simply due to inexcusable coaching. Sometimes your players don’t execute, whatever. But this coaching staff has singlehandedly blown this many games with bad fundamentals, baserunning, roster management. I’m probably under exaggerating. We ran our way out of a sweep against effing AIR FORCE, and I was there freezing my balls off watching.

It can’t be understated how shítty the team is who we just lost to. And, lardass got run ruled. Unless we start overachieving for once, there’s almost no chance he’s back next season.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mingione has turned some heads this year at a place hard to win.

I still say throw what you got at Vitello and make him say no
Agree with that. Have to try. Big d1ck move if it happens.

I’m at the point where we have to commit all we can muster to baseball if we want ti keep it. Or, we can talk about 2021 for the next 30 years like we did in 1985, make documentaries, etc.

Of course we have plenty of fans who want us to treat it like a club sport. So we will Miss Stake it up.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
it's easy to sit here and say who you want. but as we've learned with previous coaching searches in all MSU sports, who we get usually is at the polar opposite end of who we wanted.

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019

I’m at the point where we have to commit all we can muster to baseball if we want ti keep it. Or, we can talk about 2021 for the next 30 years like we did in 1985, make documentaries, etc.

Of course we have plenty of fans who want us to treat it like a club sport. So we will Miss Stake it up.
I hope those who think baseball should ONLY be a club sport are thrilled and doing a happy dance all over campus. You got your wish. Baseball at MSU is now terrible. And their money only should go to football crowd can be thrilled again to be a 6-6 team. Geesh

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would see if Mitch Canham at Oregon State has interest given where their athletic department is right now. If he says no, Pollard would be my choice. And Pollard may even be my first choice.
That is a good point but if they join the big west in baseball that is still a pretty good baseball conference not sure if they do that or go mountain west or wac. Better for baseball to be in big west but football other conference

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Sounds eerily similar to Lemonis being McDonnells recruiter and having success at a place that’s tough to win.
He's been there a long time and struggled for several seasons. However Kentucky wasn't too great when he got there. Lemonis took over for a guy at I didn't that had been doing okay if i remember correctly. I still remember it being a head scratcher when we hired him.

I mean he got a natty but so did bianco a year later so that doesn't have as much shine.

lemonis has proven he can't recruit his own team or develop it. He won with someone else's guys. Mingione is at least winning with his guys

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I hope those who think baseball should ONLY be a club sport are thrilled and doing a happy dance all over campus. You got your wish. Baseball at MSU is now terrible. And their money only should go to football crowd can be thrilled again to be a 6-6 team. Geesh
Yeah and no matter how much money we put in we will still rank mid tier at best on our best years. Baseball is something we can actually be good at if we invest in it and our athletic department does. College baseball is popular in the south east and in the west so if you win you do get some notoriety from it. Not as much as football or basketball but if we won that it would be a miracle considering where things are in both of those sports landscapes.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
That is a good point but if they join the big west in baseball that is still a pretty good baseball conference not sure if they do that or go mountain west or wac. Better for baseball to be in big west but football other conference
Canham is also an Oregon State alum who was on Pat Casey’s back to back national championship teams in 2006-2007. It would be a tough pull. But worth a shot. He’s only 39, was a minor league head coach for a few years before getting the OSU job in 2020. Hasn’t made it to Omaha yet but has been very good the last three years, they’re 29-5 this season.

Reactions: Irondawg

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
We have built the best baseball stadium in the south, spent thousands of dollars on bleachers, left field lofts, etc. etc. How can you NOT get the best baseball coach available to coach here? This shoe doesn’t fit Lemonis’s foot. AD, are you paying attention?

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

THIS ☝️☝️☝️

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
A. Those 2 were 2 of
Because he's been a head coach for an over a decade and has made the NCAA tournament twice.
  1. Those 2 were 2 of the last 3
  2. It was with La Tech for 7 years, a program that had been to just one NCAA tourney in the 26 previous years under 5 different HC's, none of whom had more winning seasons than losing. He had to build that program up
  3. Of those 7 seasons he produced winning records in 6, twice with over 40 wins. 40+ wins happened just once under the previous 5 HC's over their combined 26 seasons
  4. Prior to La Tech, his 1st job as a HC was at Northwestern State. Previous HC's there that didn't make an NCAA tourney include Dave Van Horn & John Cohen. Mitch Gaspard took them to just one in his 6 seasons. In their entire history they have made an NCAA tourney just 4 times. The HC prior to Lane had 1 winning record in his 5 seasons. Lane rebuilt that program, having just 1 losing season...his 1st, followed by 3 winning seasons, all with 30+ wins. He handed a vastly improved program over to the next HC who did make an NCAA tourney 2 seasons later, never to make it again in his following 5 seasons.
Let's not pretend it's fair to judge Lane the way you have, given both programs were rebuilds, and both programs vastly improved and quickly. At those 2 "powerhouse programs" he's had just 1 losing season at each. I'd say that's a job damn well done.

The man deserves recognition for what he has accomplished and deserves serious consideration. If he can get the results he has at those 2 programs with limited resources, imagine what he might be able to do at a program with virtually unlimited resources and support.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
A. Those 2 were 2 of

1. Those 2 were 2 of the last 3
  2. It was with La Tech for 7 years, a program that had been to just one NCAA tourney in the 26 previous years under 5 different HC's, none of whom had more winning seasons than losing. He had to build that program up
  3. Of those 7 seasons he produced winning records in 6, twice with over 40 wins. 40+ wins happened just once under the previous 5 HC's over their combined 26 seasons
  4. Prior to La Tech, his 1st job as a HC was at Northwestern State. Previous HC's there that didn't make an NCAA tourney include Dave Van Horn & John Cohen. Mitch Gaspard took them to just one in his 6 seasons. In their entire history they have made an NCAA tourney just 4 times. The HC prior to Lane had 1 winning record in his 5 seasons. Lane rebuilt that program, having just 1 losing season...his 1st, followed by 3 winning seasons, all with 30+ wins. He handed a vastly improved program over to the next HC who did make an NCAA tourney 2 seasons later, never to make it again in his following 5 seasons.
Let's not pretend it's fair to judge Lane the way you have, given both programs were rebuilds, and both programs vastly improved and quickly. At those 2 "powerhouse programs" he's had just 1 losing season at each. I'd say that's a job damn well done.

The man deserves recognition for what he has accomplished and deserves serious consideration. If he can get the results he has at those 2 programs with limited resources, imagine what he might be able to do at a program with virtually unlimited resources and support.
I’m not saying he’s a bad coach, I’m saying his resume is a pretty good ways down the list of realistic options.

I look at somebody like Pollard, who has gotten Duke to a Super Regional three times since 2018 and this year will make six NCAAT trips for them since 2016 after not appearing in the NCAAT a single time from 1961-2015. Burroughs just don’t really compare to someone like that.