Battleship Texas

BattleshipTexas

Jan 23, 2022

Reactions: KingWard

ClemsonBloz

Joined Dec 26, 2006
Jan 29, 2022
Its awesome to see her moving again,, and that she made it to the drydock! Absolute bucket list visit for me.

BattleshipTexas

Jan 23, 2022
@BattleshipTexas - What are the long-term plans for the ship? What is the extent of the work to be done?
I think they are going to take most of a year working on her in dry dock. Her final resting place hasn't been decided. Several places are vying for her. She won't be going back to the old spot, as it is deemed too remote and hard to get to for tourists. My bet is downtown Galveston will win out, near the boardwalk. But Corpus Christi, Beaumont, and Baytown are all in the running. Baytown has the most enthusiasm, i.e. offering financial incentives, but several old wells would need to be capped to accommodate. Galveston was offering SeaWolf Park, where there is already a WWII submarine and destroyer berthed. That is also a bit too remote, the Foundation wants closer to the Galveston boardwalk. Beaumont got started later than the others, but still has a chance. Corpus Christi already has the Lexington (aircraft carrier) and would dock the Battleship nearby. They aren't trying as hard.

Reactions: KingWard