Beamer calls out student section

gamecocks94

Jan 18, 2022
They should’ve been called out. I’d be a little more understanding if the game was in hand either way, but it clearly wasn’t. One thing I think the university should consider is taking away one of the upper east sections. Last night was another perfect example of why I feel that way.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Exposes the myth of the "loyal Carolina fans" so many people love to talk about.

Reactions: Fur Face

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
Memo to Students… The Free Palestine Rallies and Pro-Hamas marches can wait till’ Sunday. Get your butts back in the bleachers and support my CoCkS!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Prestonyte

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
To be fair, when you go 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 4 and out, 3 and out 6 and out (for 0 yards) on 6 consecutive drives, it’s hard to keep people engaged.

We only had 3 good offensive series the entire night and 2 of those were our first 2 drives. Offense was MIA for the vast majority of the game.

Reactions: boduke

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
To be fair, when you go 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 4 and out, 3 and out 6 and out (for 0 yards) on 6 consecutive drives, it’s hard to keep people engaged.

We only had 3 good offensive series the entire night and 2 of those were our first 2 drives. Offense was MIA for the vast majority of the game.
Bottom line. We won. Based on your posts, you don't believe we played well on either side of the ball. You are wrong. We stayed until the end. Leaving because the offense is struggling in a close game is just dumb.

Gamecock98!

Dec 13, 2022
They are coming down from their high, they have to go and get it back up.
Yeah, the buzz wears off and they get sleepy
What were they so anxious to leave for? The pro-Hamas march can wait till’ Sunday. Get your butts back in the bleachers!

I agree with Beamer on this one!
Most 18-21 year olds are not big CFB fans like we are here. They don’t have it in their heart yet.

Reactions: TheRoo

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Bottom line. We won. Based on your posts, you don't believe we played well on either side of the ball. You are wrong. We stayed until the end. Leaving because the offense is struggling in a close game is just dumb.
I’ve said in numerous posts that our D played well.

The offense was crap.

You are right about one thing: we did win. It was a close game, but it was a close game between 2 pretty bad teams. It’s not like UGA and Bama going head to head in a close game.

If I were there I would have stayed and I watched the whole game start to finish, but I can understand given our season-long struggles how some fans might have bailed.

Fur Face

Nov 17, 2023
That seems to have been a issue for as long as I can remember.
C'mon, Frat Rats wearing suits & ties, Sorority wenches dressed to the nines don't even think about leaving their alcohol related tailgates and heading toward their seats until the game starts. Usually they're in place with about 7 minutes left in the first quarter.

But the true Pageantry doesn't begin until after Carolina's first possession of the third quarter. Then The Carolina Procession takes place. Whether it's to piss or puke, the place empties out in no time at all.

Of course, the excuse has always been that they have to go to church in the morning.

• Haha
Reactions: cockthehammer

Hobcawcreekcock

Joined Dec 10, 2000 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 22, 2022
I’ll say this, unless the have was a lopsided loss for Carolina, in my days as a student (77-82), we never left early. Our in-stadium ‘presentation’ has NEVER been BETTER. Some folks have yo leave early for various reasons. A semi mass exodus in a close game doesn’t make much sense as an 18-23 year old!!!

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I’ll say this, unless the have was a lopsided loss for Carolina, in my days as a student (77-82), we never left early. Our in-stadium ‘presentation’ has NEVER been BETTER. Some folks have yo leave early for various reasons. A semi mass exodus in a close game doesn’t make much sense as an 18-23 year old!!!
A close game where you’re playing well has a different feel than a close game where you’re playing poorly though

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I have no idea why somebody would leave early in a tight and undecided game, but I don't think those that left owe anything to anybody. It's their ticket and their entertainment - they must have thought wherever they were going was more entertaining than the rest of the game. I don't agree with them, but that's their call to make and Beamer's and the program's task to change their minds. Perhaps a bunch of people who left early last night regretted it and will be less likely to do so in the future.

uscjunkie

Jan 27, 2022
I’ve said in numerous posts that our D played well.

The offense was crap.

You are right about one thing: we did win. It was a close game, but it was a close game between 2 pretty bad teams. It’s not like UGA and Bama going head to head in a close game.

If I were there I would have stayed and I watched the whole game start to finish, but I can understand given our season-long struggles how some fans might have bailed.
Well if you feel the team has struggled all season and that gives you reason to leave early, that begs the question why go at all? Leave the tickets to real fans instead of the fair weather attendees.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
But it was a night game. I thought….nm.

I don't believe you've ever been accused of thinking.

Case in point: I repeatedly said being a night game was one of many factors. If that was a noon game, we likely lose it though.

TheRoo

Joined Nov 3, 2021
Feb 6, 2022
Yeah, the buzz wears off and they get sleepy

Most 18-21 year olds are not big CFB fans like we are here. They don’t have it in their heart yet.
I agree. College students are in the prime of their lives. They aren't overly concerned about a matchup between two mediocre teams at the end of a season. It's a social event to most of them. The party eventually moves elsewhere on a Saturday Night.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Maybe they should have separate sections for in-state students and out-of-state students

Big JC

May 12, 2023
troll tater, hello
Not a tater, a realist. I've been watching Carolina games for a long time and the whole "most loyal fans in the world" and "we fill the place up even when we aren't good" mantra simply aren't true. I've seen many games with many thousands of empty seats at kickoff and many more with a half full stadium to start the second half. Carolina fans are about like most other program's fans. When the team is doing well, expectations are high and the game is a big game, the place will be packed and loud at kickoff and as long as the game stays close enough that there is hope for a win, will stay full. Otherwise; if the game is a nothing game, the team isn't having a good season or the opponent is up by three scores, the place isn't full at kickoff or starts emptying out early in the third quarter.

Fur Face

Nov 17, 2023
I agree. College students are in the prime of their lives. They aren't overly concerned about a matchup between two mediocre teams at the end of a season. It's a social event to most of them. The party eventually moves elsewhere on a Saturday Night.

About 40-50 years ago, there was a cartoon in Playboy magazine. The view was from outside what was obviously a college dorm room. Inside the room was a guy and 'co-ed' bumping uglies. The caption, coming from a radio on the student's desk summed it up perfectly.

"The Color, The Splendor, COLLEGE FOOTBALL! What better way to spend a Saturday afternoon?"

a tip-of the-hat to Chris Schenkel.

Reactions: TheRoo

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Not a tater, a realist. I've been watching Carolina games for a long time and the whole "most loyal fans in the world" and "we fill the place up even when we aren't good" mantra simply aren't true. I've seen many games with many thousands of empty seats at kickoff and many more with a half full stadium to start the second half. Carolina fans are about like most other program's fans. When the team is doing well, expectations are high and the game is a big game, the place will be packed and loud at kickoff and as long as the game stays close enough that there is hope for a win, will stay full. Otherwise; if the game is a nothing game, the team isn't having a good season or the opponent is up by three scores, the place isn't full at kickoff or starts emptying out early in the third quarter.
What you are describing is a relatively recent phenomenon at Carolina. For most of my memory, they did show up in huge numbers - far larger numbers then the play on the field would normally warrant. When they switched to an NFL-like ticket model with the YES program, it drove a lot of the longtime season ticket-holding families away. Sure, the university raised a lot more ticket revenue, but they never replaced the lost loyalty with the same level of loyalty from the newer and deeper pockets.

Our fan base is less unusual than it used to be, but I still disagree with your assessment that they are "about like most other program's fans." Our 5-year average attendance is 17th nationally even though we have not been ANYWHERE CLOSE to 17th in on-field performance. The 5 programs directly in front of us are Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Florida, all of whom have at least played in a NY6 bowl during that span.

I have no idea why so many students would leave such a close game early, but coaches have to be careful calling out fanbases for their lack of support. At the end of the day, the reason why seats are empty is ALWAYS because the would-be occupier of that seat doesn't like what you are selling enough to be there.

Jaykid28

Jan 24, 2022
BS, you are troll.....with your ID, dead give away

Big JC

May 12, 2023
BS, you are troll.....with your ID, dead give away
I have tried numerous times to change my ID but cannot. I was originally BigJC but one day I was suddenly "Anon....". I have tried for months to change back but the system will not let me.

Reactions: Jaykid28

Jaykid28

Jan 24, 2022
I have tried numerous times to change my ID but cannot. I was originally BigJC but one day I was suddenly "Anon....". I have tried for months to change back but the system will not let me.
My bad then. I apoligize and see your points and actually agree with you.