Best/easiest/cheapest TV setup for tailgate?

Paulsitive

May 10, 2022
Gonna make my first attempt at full TV setup for a tailgate this season. What's the best method? Thinking of a portable generator and using the phone as a Hotspot for the smart TV, but not sure how reliable the internet will be. Any help?

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
Honestly, I'd take your phone out there for the UGA game and test it's hotspot connections with maybe a laptop or the like first.

Reactions: ToddFlanders

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Gonna make my first attempt at full TV setup for a tailgate this season. What's the best method? Thinking of a portable generator and using the phone as a Hotspot for the smart TV, but not sure how reliable the internet will be. Any help?

You'll definitely want to make sure you can run the tv's off of a phone hotspot. My internet went out a few weeks ago and I couldn't get any of my smart tv's to lock onto the hotspot. It could have just been my issue, but I couldn't fix it.

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
You'll definitely want to make sure you can run the tv's off of a phone hotspot. My internet went out a few weeks ago and I couldn't get any of my smart tv's to lock onto the hotspot. It could have just been my issue, but I couldn't fix it.
Definitely test the TVs at home too. Good advice.

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
Yeah I'll definitely be testing the TV with the phone Hotspot.

How about power wise? Do I absolutely need a portable generator?
That's something you probably need to research too. I don't know if portable battery packs would have enough juice in them to sustain a TV for that many hours. We have one that is great for crockpots and radios but haven't tried a TV. Enough folks around us have TVs that we don't worry about it.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
A setup using rear-projected video to an acrylic screen might work. Front projection would be defeated by ambient light if gametime is before sundown.

Captain_Obvious

Feb 18, 2022

There are good battery options like jackery. But the ones that pull enough juice for TVs are usually as expensive as generators.

I haven’t checked in a few years but you used to be able to rent quiet generators from places like Sunbelt for around $30

Tmac061

Joined Aug 29, 2019
Jan 18, 2022

No, marine battery and inverter much cheaper. We used two marine batteries to power all our tailgates. Ran lights in both tents, two TV’s, couple of fans for early games and even a crockpot. Never ran low on power!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: msc1992