Best Memories of Sarge Frye

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022
Ok, thank gawd flag was driving. Afternoon regional game vs unc. (We win series). Sitting behind the bases, loaded on vodka by 1.
The sun 🌞 & heat has no favorites. We win!
I win again, cause flag is driving back. Would have been in no condition.
That is my best memory.

I could go into Bass, but that was kinda routine.

which reminds me, 4 yrs gone.

Horseshoe04

Joined Jan 5, 2014
Jan 21, 2022
Peanuts, Third base line, the roof top, right field.
sneaking into the Softball bleachers cause the joint was packed

Reactions: Blues man

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
Favorite times at Sarge Frye were the third base hecklers behind the visiting team dugout. I remember playing Clemson and those hecklers gave Bill Wilhem so much it was unbelievable. I mean those guys were ruthless to say the least. Also another time when we played UNC they gave the UNC players and coaches so much during the game it was brutal. USC has tried to schedule a home and home with UNC but they refuse to play us.

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
Watching Earl Bass pitch was truly a lesson in pitching. For the posters who never got a chance to see Earl Bass and the boys play was truly on how to play the game of baseball. USC played ASU in the regionals one year at ASU I remember that ASU team had like four or five players on that team to go on to MLB. USC won that game in the ninth inning on a bunt single by Mark Van Bever. Bobby Richardson knew how to coach and his team played with such a swagger. I mean they were really good.

GuitarCock

Jan 25, 2022
Someone will have to help me with the details if I'm getting something wrong:

• Final regular season game at Sarge Frye
  • Versus Tennessee
  • Tie game
  • Ends with walk-off grand slam by Reese Havens
  • Ball went to right field and landed near train tracks, was never recovered

DrMickeySC

Jan 23, 2022
Nobody’s gonna mention being the only field in America with Squash courts down the first base line? 😂

Good stuff, though. I only saw a couple of games there but it was always a blast.

Pluffmud Cock

Joined Feb 22, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Loved going to games at the Sarge. Crowd was always crazy. Third base hecklers made Bill Wilhelm furious. Once he said he would never come back to play there. Great place to spend a sunny afternoon.

West Ashley Gamecock

Joined Jul 16, 2001
Jan 20, 2022
Watching Earl Bass pitch and Hank Small hit, Jeff Grantz field and Bobby Richardson coach as a student. Watching us rally in the 2000
Clemson game as the #1 team in the nation. Watching Kip Bouknight, the Killer B's, Drew Meyer, Trey Dyson, Yaron Peters, so many great players and coaches. Watching us rally in the 2002 Super Regionals in the top of the ninth against Miami. Watching us rally from way back against Georgia in the final game at Sarge Fyre. Also loved the Third Base Hecklers until the PC police disbanded them.

Jan 21, 2022
Too many to choice from... "World Famous 3rd Base Hecklers" dominated the heads of the opponents.. Buy me a beer and I will tell you stories that will curl your toes..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MrCockStrong

CaughtLookin

Joined Jan 16, 2021
Jan 22, 2022
Watching Earl Bass pitch and Hank Small hit, Jeff Grantz field and Bobby Richardson coach as a student. Watching us rally in the 2000
Clemson game as the #1 team in the nation. Watching Kip Bouknight, the Killer B's, Drew Meyer, Trey Dyson, Yaron Peters, so many great players and coaches. Watching us rally in the 2002 Super Regionals in the top of the ninth against Miami. Watching us rally from way back against Georgia in the final game at Sarge Fyre. Also loved the Third Base Hecklers until the PC police disbanded them.
ya know. Looking back I had no clue that was THE last game at Sarge. But i was there, until the end. Epic game!

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Favorite times at Sarge Frye were the third base hecklers behind the visiting team dugout. I remember playing Clemson and those hecklers gave Bill Wilhem so much it was unbelievable. I mean those guys were ruthless to say the least. Also another time when we played UNC they gave the UNC players and coaches so much during the game it was brutal. USC has tried to schedule a home and home with UNC but they refuse to play us.
Fair enough, but playing the Holes in an AAA ballpark is still good.

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
UGA was not the final game at Sarge Frye. That was 2007 and we hosted a Regional that season.. The final game was 2008 against UT. We were up the entire game until they tied it up in the top of the 9th. We walked it off with a 2 run HR in the bottom.

Last edited:

GuitarCock

Jan 25, 2022
Did a ball ever hit a window in the Roost?

Loved seeing people watching from the windows, as well as people standing on top of the softball stadium next door

USCBatgirl21

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
Did a ball ever hit a window in the Roost?

Loved seeing people watching from the windows, as well as people standing on top of the softball stadium next door
All the time. It would be funny watching the football players eating all that good food Mrs. K used to cook scatter when a foul ball came back and hit the windows in the cafeteria.

Reactions: GuitarCock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I recall going to only one game at the Sarge - I think it was a playoff game circa 1981.

I've only been to one game at Founders Park: the 2009 Sunday game vs LSU.

From Atlanta, I usually try to make it to a USC game in Athens and Auburn every year or two. Wish we would schedule a home-and-home with Georgia Tech; I'm a 15-20 minute drive to Russ Chandler Stadium.

GuitarCock

Jan 25, 2022
I recall going to only one game at the Sarge - I think it was a playoff game circa 1981.

I've only been to one game at Founders Park: the 2009 Sunday game vs LSU.

From Atlanta, I usually try to make it to a USC game in Athens and Auburn every year or two. Wish we would schedule a home-and-home with Georgia Tech; I'm a 15-20 minute drive to Russ Chandler Stadium.
Or play them in Braves Stadium! Hasn't Clemson done that?

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Or play them in Braves Stadium! Hasn't Clemson done that?
I don't think so.

Clemron plays a weekend ACC series vs the Bees most years, splitting between Doug Kingsmore, and the "Rusty C". This year's series is in Clemron.

They have an annual home-and-home vs the Dawgs. One midweek game at Foley Field in Athens, and one midweek game at Doug Kingsmore each season.

Over the past 20+ years, Georgia/Georgia Tech typically play three games against each other each season - one at Foley, one at the Rusty C, and the third at the Braves' stadium (sponsored in part by Children's Healthcare of Atlanta). It was usually three midweek games.

They've transitioned to a weekend series akin to us vs Clemron. The same weekend we play the Taters; it's the last weekend that each league has an open, non-league scheduling obligation. Remember, the ACC begins conference play in weekend 4 of the season (and each school gets one "off" weekend later in the season.), and the SEC begins conference play with weekend 5, i.e. every weekend of the regular season from 5 onwards is against an SEC opponent.

From the official Georgia Tech web site (https://ramblinwreck.com/baseball-unveils-2022-schedule/) regarding the Jackets' 2022 schedule:

Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate: The Yellow Jackets return to playing archrival Georgia in a three-game weekend series with Georgia Tech
hosting the Friday night matchup on March 4. The series then transitions to Athens on March 5 before concluding on Sunday for the
19th annual Spring Baseball Classic at Coolray Field, home of the Gwinnett Stripers, to benefit Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.

Coolray Field is located in the Atlanta suburban city of Lawrenceville. The Stripers are the Braves' AAA affiliate

Last edited:

Whiterockcock69

Joined Sep 12, 2010
Jan 31, 2022
Hecklers were awesome! Left/right, left-right. And back when they used to let the first Cocky on the field. John Rouch? Would drive Wilhelm nuts. One time he went over and kid-napped a Clemson bat girl. Had a three legged stool and a water bag and would milk cows at home plate. Another moment when skip Bouknight got into Jaclegg’s head. He was huddled at the mound with his players during a conference at the mound and Kip walked out to the foul line and stared at him. Jaclegg kept looking up and over at him. Jack didn’t like Kip very much after he beat them up at Clemson and told them he was gonna do it before the game. It was a running battle. So many great moments.

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
Hecklers were awesome! Left/right, left-right. And back when they used to let the first Cocky on the field. John Rouch? Would drive Wilhelm nuts. One time he went over and kid-napped a Clemson bat girl. Had a three legged stool and a water bag and would milk cows at home plate. Another moment when skip Bouknight got into Jaclegg’s head. He was huddled at the mound with his players during a conference at the mound and Kip walked out to the foul line and stared at him. Jaclegg kept looking up and over at him. Jack didn’t like Kip very much after he beat them up at Clemson and told them he was gonna do it before the game. It was a running battle. So many great moments.
Gotta love Kip. He did the same thing that John Roche did to Dean Smith. The UNC fans still hate us for what Roche did to Dean. Also I cannot believe I am saying this but what Rick Barnes said to Clemson is another one that will go down in the "book of memories"

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Gotta love Kip. He did the same thing that John Roche did to Dean Smith. The UNC fans still hate us for what Roche did to Dean. Also I cannot believe I am saying this but what Rick Barnes said to Clemson is another one that will go down in the "book of memories"
Looking is one thing; taking "decisive action" is another.

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
Enjoyed watching Kip. I also enjoy his observations announcing games. I understand some don't, but he does bring some good knowledge which I enjoy. Tells it like it is IMO.