Big Tens

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Hmmm - can you confirm. I was there and no one I knew heard that as many of us where asking then and since. Also no mention on UM’s wrestling site. https://mgoblue.com/sports/wrestling/archives

If I didn't know it to be a fact, I would have indicated in the post to which you responded that it was speculation, or not yet announced, etc.

^^^ This was in a post I made in an earlier thread about the 2023 B1G Wrestling Championships. The thread actually started in Feb. 2022, before the 2022 B1G B1G Wrestling Championships. You can find my post (and the thread) at:

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Big 10's are my favorite tournament, as far as in attendance is concerned. It's two days of wrestling versus three, most often within a reasonable driving distance. There are at the most three mats going so you can actually follow the action (not up-to-eight where your head needs to be on a swivel). As far as seating, you're looking at the most low to mid 'teens in attendance, (not 20,000+) and avoiding nose bleed seats. Back in the day, you could find a group of unsold seats and your group could move around and stretch out. Lines are smaller for concessions and rest rooms. During break time, you can find decent tables and refreshments with out the long waits.

There's a camaraderie/ healthy animosity among opposing schools' fans, and you meet them in the most likely places. I've visited with Andrew Howe's dad back in the day, Mike Evans' mom, (she wasn't impressed), introduced myself to David Taylor's dad and thanked him for shepherding his son to PSU... At Big 10's there's just 14 teams to root for, Or against, so the casual fan isn't lost. Check out any in-season, post-season ranking and the top 25/33 are always filled with Big 10 kids. I do watch B1G wrestling week to week and the guys are easier to identify and follow. Inside, Iowa fans are easier to pick out and their team is easier to cheer against (that's probably my favorite part of this tournament). Just about every team fan can find something they dislike about Iowa... They wear those ugly black and yellow team colors and they're often heard yelling, 'He's staaalllinngg!'

I love NCAA's and everything about tit, but as far in-person is concerned, I'll take Big 10's any day of the week. Can't wait for the season to start.

Reactions: WV lion