Book(s) you are currently reading.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Just finished:

I read it again after twenty years and was extremely impressed by how it holds up. Weiner is a great voice for scientists; he did a fantastic job with the earlier The Beak of the Finch.

Now reading, another re-read. I'm really digging this.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Current ongoing efforts…

1Q84 by Haruki Mrakami

Sing to It by Amy Hempel; a true master of sparsity.

Here is the eponymous first story from her book…

At the end, he said, No metaphors! Nothing is like anything else. Except he said to me before he said that, make your hands a hammock for me. So there was one.

He said, Not even the rain—he quoted the poet—not even the rain has such small hands. So there was another.

At the end, I wanted to comfort him. But what I said was, Sing to it. The Arab proverb: When danger approaches, sing to it.

Except I said to him before I said that, No metaphors! No one is like anyone else. And he said, Please.

So—at the end, I made my hands a hammock for him. My arms the trees.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

I recently completed this book (Revolutionary Surgeons: Patriots and Loyalists on the Cutting Edge), and found it interesting. It's written by Dr. Per-Olof Hasselgren. He's not a historian, but he's a long-time professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School.

The book is actually 10 chapters about surgeons from the period of the American Revolution. Some of them were patriots, and some of them were loyalists, and one or two of them switched sides before or during the Revolutionary War.

I thought the book was at its best when it gave specific details about how surgery was conducted during the American Revolution, and about the various struggles the surgeons suffered. In fact, I would have preferred if that was the central focus of the book.

The weakness of using chapters to discuss specific surgeons (all aspects of their lives), is that three of the surgeons (Joseph Warren, Benjamin Rush, and Benjamin Church) have been the subject of serious biographies in the past 10-15 years (all of which I've read), so there wasn't a lot in those chapters that I didn't know.

As a surgery professor, the author is on very firm ground when he writes about surgical techniques from that era (and offering small info on how things have evolved since then). As a non-historian, he gets into some trouble when writing about all aspects of the 10 respective doctors with regards to the American Revolution. There are a handful of small mistakes in the book with regards to the Rev War; all pretty minor things that I suspect most readers would not even notice.

It's a relatively quick read, and for those not well versed on the specific surgeons the book focuses on, or on surgical techniques in the American Revolution, I would recommend it.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I need some good news books. Everything is boring now.

I want some good sci-fi. I was reading the Coyote chronicles and it was good, especially how they barely escaped a brutal fascist dictatorship on Earth. Compelling stuff these days

Now I'm reading GOT and I feel like a hipster that missed the boat.

BornALion

Oct 6, 2021

I want some good sci-fi. I was reading the Coyote chronicles and it was good, especially how they barely escaped a brutal fascist dictatorship on Earth. Compelling stuff these days

Check out the Templar Series by Paul Christopher. Not Sci-Fi but great reads throughout.

Reactions: ODShowtime
Oct 15, 2021

Here is some good sci-fi although it is a bit dated. Analog magazine starting from 1930:

https://www.freesfonline.net/Magazines2.html

Reactions: ODShowtime

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Glad this was brought back over here. I have read some great books from this thread. Thank you!

The week before the move, I tried to think of the threads I thought should be continued. Alas, that was a crazy week for me in other parts of my life, so there are several threads I had not yet restarted, so to speak. This was definitely one I wanted to continue, and i’m glad @LionJim made the effort to resurrect it.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Just finished:

I read it again after twenty years and was extremely impressed by how it holds up. Weiner is a great voice for scientists; he did a fantastic job with the earlier The Beak of the Finch.

Now reading, another re-read. I'm really digging this.

Just finished Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House. Cant believe I never read it but it was very good. I was also rooting for the House, I thought all the characters were jerks. LOL.
Next up is Harlem Shuffle.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Just finished Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House. Cant believe I never read it but it was very good. I was also rooting for the House, I thought all the characters were jerks. LOL.
Next up is Harlem Shuffle.

Same Shirley Jackson as ‘The Lottery’?

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Same Shirley Jackson as ‘The Lottery’?
Yes. The book is excellent, the way she describes the house itself and how unsettling it is. I need to check out the Netflix series. I'm not sure how closely it aligns, if at all, with the novel. I vaguely remember the movie from the 60's and IIRC it was pretty close.

Reactions: Midnighter

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
This author is a good friend of mine and he is, without question, the most brilliant person I've ever met and the list of people I've met is long and distinguished. Pete holds his Catholic faith near and dear and most of his writings include something about Catholicism but that shouldn't turn anyone away. He has an entire series of science fiction as well as many other scholarly works. Pete has his BS and MS in Computer Science from Lehigh University and his Phd from Rensselaer.

I'm currently reading.

1636586792026.png

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
This author is a good friend of mine and he is, without question, the most brilliant person I've ever met and the list of people I've met is long and distinguished. Pete holds his Catholic faith near and dear and most of his writings include something about Catholicism but that shouldn't turn anyone away. He has an entire series of science fiction as well as many other scholarly works. Pete has his BS and MS in Computer Science from Lehigh University and his Phd from Rensselaer.

I'm currently reading.

View attachment 159723

will ferrell anchorman GIF

;)

Rotzc

Oct 13, 2021
Trying to quickly finish Vince Flynn's Executive Power (Rapp #3). I read the first 12 Mitch Rapp books but stopped after Flynn's passing. I decided to reread the first 12 books again and then slide into the Kyle Mills books in this series...

Rushing to finish this book to get to Connelly's new Bosch book, I think he's the best fiction author going right now.

lemonears

Oct 31, 2021
Michener's Best -- Tales of the South Pacific

I read this book about every 3 years. Probably have read it about 20 times. Never fail to enjoy it.

Reactions: NedFromYork

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I have his first two and haven't read anything from him. Is it on level with Thor's or Child's stuff?
yeah, but this may be a series with a few before this one. I should look into that

im a dope:
my dad always gives me a giant bag of fun novels when I visit, he should have told me it was a series :D

Last edited:

Split T

Oct 8, 2021
Halfway through Amor Towles latest book, The Lincoln Highway. Was anxious for its release, but at this point not as impressed as I was with what I consider a great read, A Gentleman in Moscow. I also don’t believe it is as good as his other book Rules of Civility. This is not meant as a negative review, only that at this point in the book it has not met my expectations. On completion and reflection, I may change my mind.

1636645129685.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitwit

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
Fear by Bob Woodward.
Am just one vignette into it, and I am already fearful. ( I.e. exiting the Korea- America Defense treaty because he is mad at our trade deficit with them. Oh my.

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
Has anyone tried Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties By Tom O'Neill?

I heard O'Neill interviewed and about this project.

Reactions: CBird

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Has anyone tried Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties By Tom O'Neill?

I heard O'Neill interviewed and about this project.
I tried and it was pretty interesting for about the first 1/3 of the book, especially the 6º of separation of all the famous people involved. But he goes down some rabbit holes that
even the QAnon people were going "uh what?"

Latest posts