Book(s) you are currently reading.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I forget. Was Smails anal about this?

Anal? I wouldn't call him that. Most of the time, if a thread got wildly off-track, he would remind folks of the Subject, and try to steer them back to it.

There were other times, if a thread repeatedly got off-track, or he had already posted a reminder to bring it back to the Subject, where he would show some frustration and put down those that were causing problems.

Ernie Ladd

Oct 31, 2021
Trying to quickly finish Vince Flynn's Executive Power (Rapp #3). I read the first 12 Mitch Rapp books but stopped after Flynn's passing. I decided to reread the first 12 books again and then slide into the Kyle Mills books in this series...

Rushing to finish this book to get to Connelly's new Bosch book, I think he's the best fiction author going right now.

I started reading Connelly’s Bosch books in order. I just started The Narrows. I had to read The Poet first (not a Bosch book) because The Narrows is a sequel.

Connelly is outstanding.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I caught Copenhagen on Amazon Prime the other week, about Heisenberg's visit to Bohr in 1941, and went back to this book. (Aside: it is still unclear to me exactly what was discussed in this meeting, in part because it wasn't until 2007 that Bohr's family released some unsent letters Bohr wrote to Heisenberg. It's clear, though, that if Rhodes' telling of the meeting is accurate, Heisenberg would have been shot if the Nazis had found out about this.) This is an awesome read, very highly recommend. Do yourself a favor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
The Mountains Song: book by a Vietnamese American about her growing up in Vietnam.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Robert e lee by Korda. Funny thing is I can’t remember if I have read this book years ago.3082D42D-4B69-4C10-9B72-DFEA121C8EEC.jpeg

4theglory54

Oct 16, 2021
"The Innocents Abroad", by Mark Twain.

Now in retirement, I have the time to read this classic just one or two short chapters at a time to fully appreciate the wit and imagery. Hard to believe it was written over 150 years ago.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

Now in retirement, I have the time to read this classic just one or two short chapters at a time to fully appreciate the wit and imagery. Hard to believe it was written over 150 years ago.
Twain was not a boring writer. At his best he is very funny.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I caught Copenhagen on Amazon Prime the other week, about Heisenberg's visit to Bohr in 1941, and went back to this book. (Aside: it is still unclear to me exactly what was discussed in this meeting, in part because it wasn't until 2007 that Bohr's family released some unsent letters Bohr wrote to Heisenberg. It's clear, though, that if Rhodes' telling of the meeting is accurate, Heisenberg would have been shot if the Nazis had found out about this.) This is an awesome read, very highly recommend. Do yourself a favor.

@Tom McAndrew You might appreciate this: I just recently finished Uncertainity, a biography of Heisenberg, and the release in 2007 of additional papers of Bohr’s dated this book significantly. I made the mistake of not checking to see if the very capable author of this book, David C Cassidy, had put out a revised edition incorporating these letters. He had. Damnit.

Also, Rhodes writes of Hans Bethe saying “that Heisenberg passed to Bohr a drawing of the experimental heavy water reactor he (Heisenberg) was working to build.” (It is possible that he was passing this drawing cynically and with Nazi approval. I don’t buy this.) Apparently this information came out late and postdates the first edition as well.

Last edited:

mfb5053

Oct 12, 2021
The Splendid and the Vile. Erik Larson’s book about England, Churchill, and the bombing of London.

Reactions: MacNit

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I just started 'Bourdain' an oral biography edited by his long time personal assistant, Laurie Woolever. I always enjoyed his show in spite of him. I'm hoping to get a better insight on the guy.

Reactions: Fortheglory612

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Helpful Hint: If anyone is ever looking for an out of print book try bookfinder.com. I've been using it for years and love it.

BookFinder.com is a one-stop ecommerce search engine that searches over 150 million books for sale—new, used, rare, out-of-print, and textbooks. We save you time and money by searching every major catalog online, and letting you know which booksellers are offering the best prices and selection. When you find a book you like, you can buy it directly from the original seller; we never charge a markup.

Nohow

Oct 25, 2021
An Ugly Truth, Inside Facebook’s Battle for Domination. Facebook is the devil’s tool and Zuckerberg is the devil.

Reactions: KKBundy

Fortheglory612

Nov 2, 2021
An Ugly Truth, Inside Facebook’s Battle for Domination. Facebook is the devil’s tool and Zuckerberg is the devil.
Haven’t read this but I might have to. I deleted Facebook years ago. It was not good for my emotional health. I’m one of the few women I know not on Facebook or instagram. I do miss out on certain things going on because of it but if it was really important I would know about it anyway through real life communication. I have considered joining under a fake name just so I can join my neighborhood group and maybe some of the Facebook marketplace
Groups but I just don’t want to go down that rabbit hole (the neighborhood ring app
Comments provide a years worth of entertainment in one week). I also do not want to see constant ads and requests to join many of the “MLM” businesses targeted towards women. Instead you are all stuck with me on here 😂

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
As usual the stuff I want is all expensive. Anyone ever read the theatrical novel from John carpenter's The Thing? Paperback from 1981 really hard to find now.

I recently read the original Who Goes There? Well actually the new version with extra chapters. That and the book with all the recent short stories based in The Thing universe. Going down Thing holes is fun.

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
@Tom McAndrew You might appreciate this: I just recently finished Uncertainity, a biography of Heisenberg, and the release in 2007 of additional papers of Bohr’s dated this book significantly. I made the mistake of not checking to see if the very capable author of this book, David C Cassidy, had put out a revised edition incorporating these letters. He had. Damnit.

Also, Rhodes writes of Hans Bethe saying “that Heisenberg passed to Bohr a drawing of the experimental heavy water reactor he (Heisenberg) was working to build.” (It is possible that he was passing this drawing cynically and with Nazi approval. I don’t buy this.) Apparently this information came out late and postdates the first edition as well.

Reactions: LionJim

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Just finished:

I read it again after twenty years and was extremely impressed by how it holds up. Weiner is a great voice for scientists; he did a fantastic job with the earlier The Beak of the Finch.

Now reading, another re-read. I'm really digging this.

6 volume history of England by Peter Ackroyd. Almost they with volume 1….fantastic writing!

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
6 volume history of England by Peter Ackroyd. Almost they with volume 1….fantastic writing!
That’s something I could get into. My dad had a set of Churchill’s History of the English Speaking Peoples and I regret not reading it.

My dad had a good library and I actually read quite a bit of it. He and his brothers, and my mother and her own siblings, were very literary inclined. Growing up, I read a lot of good lit and poetry.

Leo Ridens

Oct 12, 2021
Just finished:

I read it again after twenty years and was extremely impressed by how it holds up. Weiner is a great voice for scientists; he did a fantastic job with the earlier The Beak of the Finch.

I recently finished Roger Penrose's "Road to Reality" - 1149 pages of particle physics to cosmology, and everything in between, with much higher mathematics and heavily footnoted:

Road to Reality

I am now reading Matthew Stewart's "The Courtier and The Heretic; ; Leibniz, Spinoza, and the Fate of God in the Modern World":

The Courtier and the Heretic

I am not sure which hurts my head more, 21st Century physics or 17th Century philosophy; string theory or monads? Time for a stiff drink.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I recently finished Roger Penrose's "Road to Reality" - 1149 pages of particle physics to cosmology, and everything in between, with much higher mathematics and heavily footnoted:

Road to Reality

I am now reading Matthew Stewart's "The Courtier and The Heretic; ; Leibniz, Spinoza, and the Fate of God in the Modern World":

The Courtier and the Heretic

I am not sure which hurts my head more, 21st Century physics or 17th Century philosophy; string theory or monads? Time for a stiff drink.
Worth a look:

Reactions: Leo Ridens

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
LSHF father and I really got after the college hoops in my youth. He gave me this book a few weeks ago. It’s AWESOME, partly cause I remember watching these cats with father.

Reactions: Fortheglory612

Split T

Oct 8, 2021
Halfway through Amor Towles latest book, The Lincoln Highway. Was anxious for its release, but at this point not as impressed as I was with what I consider a great read, A Gentleman in Moscow. I also don’t believe it is as good as his other book Rules of Civility. This is not meant as a negative review, only that at this point in the book it has not met my expectations. On completion and reflection, I may change my mind.

View attachment 159807

Halfway through Amor Towles latest book, The Lincoln Highway. Was anxious for its release, but at this point not as impressed as I was with what I consider a great read, A Gentleman in Moscow. I also don’t believe it is as good as his other book Rules of Civility. This is not meant as a negative review, only that at this point in the book it has not met my expectations. On completion and reflection, I may change my mind.

View attachment 159807
On completion of this book, I find myself disappointed. I see that it's still in the NYT top ten and the only explanation is people are buying it as a Christmas gift.
I finished the last book of Baldacci's Atlee Pine series, Mercy, and recommend this 4-book collection.
Presently reading The Light of Days which is the true story of Jewish women resistance fighters during the era of the Holocaust. I find it difficult to read due to the Nazi killings and hostility. This is a book where the saying "Truth Hurts" applies. Spielberg has bought the motion picture option.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'll have to see if I can find it (the review) elsewhere. WaPo links never work for me, since I don't have a subscription.

I've seen Brands give two online presentations about this book. I wasn't all that enthralled from them, as he was making a big deal about things most devotees of the American Revolution would know in their sleep. That said, I'll probably get to it at some point in the next X number of years.

Much appreciated.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
That’s something I could get into. My dad had a set of Churchill’s History of the English Speaking Peoples and I regret not reading it.

My dad had a good library and I actually read quite a bit of it. He and his brothers, and my mother and her own siblings, were very literary inclined. Growing up, I read a lot of good lit and poetry.
Read that a while ago (excellent too)…this one is focused just on England.

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
Just finished:

Who has time to read a book?

ACGT

Oct 29, 2021

Among my favorite American writers. About twenty years ago I re-read Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer ... there was a smile on every page.

Reactions: 4theglory54

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017
Current ongoing efforts…

1Q84 by Haruki Mrakami

Sing to It by Amy Hempel; a true master of sparsity.

Here is the eponymous first story from her book…

At the end, he said, No metaphors! Nothing is like anything else. Except he said to me before he said that, make your hands a hammock for me. So there was one.

He said, Not even the rain—he quoted the poet—not even the rain has such small hands. So there was another.

At the end, I wanted to comfort him. But what I said was, Sing to it. The Arab proverb: When danger approaches, sing to it.

Except I said to him before I said that, No metaphors! No one is like anyone else. And he said, Please.

So—at the end, I made my hands a hammock for him. My arms the trees.
Huge fan of Murakami. Wind Up Bird Chronicles and Hard Boiled Detective Story are two of my favorite books.

Reactions: Midnighter