Book(s) you are currently reading.

Rotzc

Oct 13, 2021
This has been a fantastic read. Gets a little too far into weeds at times but pretty interesting,

Capture.PNG

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Have always been a Walter Mosley fan, well his detective and mystery books, not so much his science fiction.🤷‍♂️
And love his Easy Rawlins character...
Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 8.47.10 AM.png

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Huge fan of Murakami. Wind Up Bird Chronicles and Hard Boiled Detective Story are two of my favorite books.

Just got ‘Killing Commendatore’ for my birthday. Also loved Wind Up Bird Chronicles and After Dark. Like a Japanese David Lynch (with a touch more cohesiveness).

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021

Classof09

Oct 12, 2021
I’m reading the Bosch series by Michael Connelly. Loved the Amazon Prime series and the books are quite good too.

Rotzc

Oct 13, 2021
I’m reading the Bosch series by Michael Connelly. Loved the Amazon Prime series and the books are quite good too.
The Jack McEvoy books are amazing. The Poet and The Scarecrow are both incredible.. Might be the best Connelly books. Bosch books are great also.

Classof09

Oct 12, 2021
The Jack McEvoy books are amazing. The Poet and The Scarecrow are both incredible.. Might be the best Connelly books. Bosch books are great also.
I will put them on the list. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: Rotzc

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The Life and Times of General Andrew Pickens

I recently completed this book. It was published in 2017, and while it was on my list, and in my pile, I didn't get to it until the past month. I thought it was excellent. In terms of South Carolina militia leaders during the American Revolution, Francis Marion (the Swamp Fox) and Thomas Sumter (the Gamecock) are more famous than Pickens. But Andrew Pickens probably had a bigger impact on the success of the patriots in the Southern theater than did Marion or Sumter. Plus, Pickens played a pivotal role after the American Revolution, mostly as the rare negotiator with the Native Americans that was not trying to cheat them. I highly recommend the book.

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
1644939095149.png

Just finished reading Countdown 1945, which details the Manhattan Project and takes a look into the lives of the politicians, those who developed the weapon, those who flew the Enola Gay, and a sample of civilians (both American and Japanese) who were affected by the event. It was very interesting and has become one of my favorite books. It reads more like a thriller than it does a historical account. Getting closer to the day the US dropped the bomb, you can feel the tension increasing. I thought it was very well done.

1644939357182.png

Also just started reading One Giant Leap about the moon landing mission. Very early into the book, but it I'm enjoying it. Lots of details packed in - can be a bit heavy at times.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Chatz5531

Oct 7, 2021
1644951863996.png Now on book 5 in this series. Pretty good fantasy series. Don't watch the Amazon series that was just put out. It's horrific. Afraid they're going to do to Tolkien's middle earth what they did to this.

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021
Just finished:

I read it again after twenty years and was extremely impressed by how it holds up. Weiner is a great voice for scientists; he did a fantastic job with the earlier The Beak of the Finch.

Now reading, another re-read. I'm really digging this.

The Honor Killing of David L. Branton, by Jonathan Branton.

Rotzc

Oct 13, 2021
I'm re-watching the Pacific.. Has anyone read Helmet for my Pillow or With the Old Breed? I'm currently listening to the audio book The Conquering Tide..

delcoLion

Nov 14, 2021
Currently reading: Ships of Oak - Guns of Iron by Ronald Utt. The War of 1812 and the arrival of the US Navy. I took sailing at PSU many years ago but didn’t stay with it so I have to constantly look up sailing terms so I can understand the scene that the author is creating but I like history and this is a good read.

Reactions: LionJim

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Read Plum Island and now into the second book by the same author, Nelson DeMille. The second is The Lion’s Game. Both books written well before 9/11 feature criminal investigations involving terrorism and portend some actual events which later occurred. The recurring lead character is a retired NYPD working as a special investigator.

I’ve also been reading some Sherlock Holmes mysteries which are always fun.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I just got back from the gym. The county mask mandate has been dropped and there were a lot of people I hadn't seen for a while. I got quite the eyeful.

This, and everything, brought to mind one of Yeats's last poems, written in 1938. (He died in January 1939, the year WWII began.) In fact, he arranged that this poem would be the final entry, 374/374, in his Collected Poems.

Politics​

BY WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS

'In our time the destiny of man presents its meanings in political terms.'
THOMAS MANN.

How can I, that girl standing there,
My attention fix
On Roman or on Russian
Or on Spanish politics,
Yet here's a travelled man that knows
What he talks about,
And there's a politician
That has both read and thought,
And maybe what they say is true
Of war and war's alarms,
But O that I were young again
And held her in my arms.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
I just got back from the gym. The county mask mandate has been dropped and there were a lot of people I hadn't seen for a while. I got quite the eyeful.

This, and everything, brought to mind one of Yeats's last poems, written in 1938. (He died in January 1939, the year WWII began.) In fact, he arranged that this poem would be the final entry, 374/374, in his Collected Poems.

Politics​

BY WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS

'In our time the destiny of man presents its meanings in political terms.'
THOMAS MANN.

How can I, that girl standing there,
My attention fix
On Roman or on Russian
Or on Spanish politics,
Yet here's a travelled man that knows
What he talks about,
And there's a politician
That has both read and thought,
And maybe what they say is true
Of war and war's alarms,
But O that I were young again
And held her in my arms.

It's interesting that you should mention Yeats. I thought of his poem Death the other day. My cat, who is 18 years old, and I (over 70) are both in the winter of our lives. Death comes closer. I try to prepare for it. She has no concept of it.

Death
by William Butler Yeats

Nor dread nor hope attend
A dying animal;
A man awaits his end
Dreading and hoping all;
Many times he died,
Many times rose again.
A great man in his pride
Confronting murderous men
Casts derision upon
Supersession of breath;
He knows death to the bone -
Man has created death.

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
I'm re-watching the Pacific.. Has anyone read Helmet for my Pillow or With the Old Breed? I'm currently listening to the audio book The Conquering Tide..
Purchased Pacific and have watched it numerous times. Read and enjoyed both books

Reactions: Rotzc

Mr. Potter

Oct 18, 2021
F.D.R. by Jean Edward Smith and Hitler's Last Hostages (Looted Art and the Soul of the Third Reich) by Mary M. Lane

Split T

Oct 8, 2021
Just finished Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr. Weak start, but a strong finish. Glad I didn't quit on it1646095315683.png

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
My current mood is pretty much set out in Nineteen Hundred and Nineteen, which Yeats wrote in the midst of the Irish War for Independence, 2nd and 4th stanzas.

We too had many pretty toys when young:
A law indifferent to blame or praise,
To bribe or threat; habits that made old wrong
Melt down, as it were wax in the sun's rays;
Public opinion ripening for so long
We thought it would outlive all future days.
O what fine thought we had because we thought
That the worst rogues and rascals had died out.

Now days are dragon-ridden, the nightmare
Rides upon sleep: a drunken soldiery
Can leave the mother, murdered at her door,
To crawl in her own blood, and go scot-free;
The night can sweat with terror as before
We pieced our thoughts into philosophy,
And planned to bring the world under a rule,
Who are but weasels fighting in a hole.

Reactions: Nohow