Bowl projections

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004
So I’m seeing all sorts of potential destinations for our bowl game. Texas, Las Vegas, Gator, Music City, Reliaquest… even SI thinks we deserve to go back to the Liberty.
I know the argument that these are all in the same level now, but I can’t help myself from ranking them in some order of prestige. As in, it would look better to be in the Gator or Reliaquest vs the Las Vegas or Texas. Anyone else still think this way?

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
My thinking is this: Florida bowls> Las Vegas> Liberty, Music City, Birmingham, Shreveport. Opponent also matters to me. Playing Oregon in Vegas would trump playing Iowa in the Gator bowl for instance

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
We are going to the Gator or ReliaQuest. If SC wants the Gator vs Notre Dame, then we get Illinois in Tampa. If not we get ND in Jville. As I've posted in other threads, most of these Bowl projectors don't even know how the selection process works. Many also don't know the difference between us and Ole Miss. I wouldn't pay any attention to Sports Illustrated, Sporting News, Saturday Down South, even the two ESPN shills. Jerry Palm from CBS, 247(who updated last night from Sunday supposedly because they have bowl "intel" and and changed us from the Vegas toTampa vs Illinois), and Brett McMurphy from Action Sports. The others aren't worth looking at.

Reactions: bulldognation

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Tampa, Jacksonville, houston. Houston is the easiest drive for me, next is Jacksonville, then Tampa just because Tampa is a fun town.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Las Vegas is least of those bowls. Bad date, low payout. Would be worst case scenario.
Speaking of payouts, someone refresh my memory how that works. I know we all split the money but isn't it 70% of the payout that is split with the participating team getting to keep 30% of the payout?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
My .02. Music city is a better bowl than the Liberty. For fan experience.

USC is going to get whatever bowl they want over MSU. Because of fan attendance.

State just needs to go to Houston for the alumni base there. Otherwise, any location, State fans will poorly attend.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nobody really attends bowls anymore. Most of their money comes from TV. It's insane that bowls still get to choose based on who they want rather than who deserves it.

It's time to just raze them all once the playoff gets expanded. Of course, they won't, because they are TV filler. But they definitely need a more regulated way to choose who goes where. Not to mention the stupid requirement of being 'bowl eligible'. Just a relic of an old era.

No other division does this. The 12-team playoff will give you 11 games alone. There's 42 total bowls, which seems to keep climbing every year, so it's obvious no one is planning to cut them anytime soon. That's 31 bowls left over. Let the committee rate the bowls based on records, advanced metrics, SOS, etc. and then place teams logistically that make sense, for geography and good matchups. It's not rocket science.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Nobody really attends bowls anymore. Most of their money comes from TV. It's insane that bowls still get to choose based on who they want rather than who deserves it.

It's time to just raze them all once the playoff gets expanded. Of course, they won't, because they are TV filler. But they definitely need a more regulated way to choose who goes where. Not to mention the stupid requirement of being 'bowl eligible'. Just a relic of an old era.

No other division does this. The 12-team playoff will give you 11 games alone. There's 42 total bowls, which seems to keep climbing every year, so it's obvious no one is planning to cut them anytime soon. That's 31 bowls left over. Let the committee rate the bowls based on records, advanced metrics, SOS, etc. and then place teams logistically that make sense, for geography and good matchups. It's not rocket science.
They all should be ranked and get a draft position, positions 1-10 get to pick their opponents and then 11-20, until the Birmingham Bowl.
That way, they could rotate and some cities eventually could get a really bad *** bowl game that normally wouldn't. The NY6 bowls all should have playoff games every year.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
My .02. Music city is a better bowl than the Liberty. For fan experience.

USC is going to get whatever bowl they want over MSU. Because of fan attendance.

State just needs to go to Houston for the alumni base there. Otherwise, any location, State fans will poorly attend.
We will attend better this year than the last two. Beating Ole Miss always helps out bowl attendance.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I assume we're meaning the pool of six since Citrus is established above them and Birmingham/Gasparilla below.

I'd go:
Reliaquest (fka Outback)
Gator
Texas
Duke's (fka Belk)
Music City
Liberty
Las Vegas

Reliaquest and Gator - I feel like are just one rung below Citrus. That could just be a side effect of Reliaquest (and sometimes Gator) being traditionally SEC/Big Ten matchups.

Texas Bowl - could get higher. It's still a young bowl (2006) and has a really good payout. It feels very much like a 'regional' bowl though since their SEC choices have been former SWC and Big 12 members, LSU, and Vanderbilt.

Duke's - I like their presentation, their social media, and that they treated Dak's last game at Mississippi State being there as a big deal because it was. They're pretty close to the Texas Bowl in that they've tended to focus more on states that border the Carolinas.

Music City - I mean it's a fun bowl. Good venue. It's not overwhelming or underwhelming. It's... whelming.

Liberty - This could be familiarity breeds contempt. This was the first bowl game I ever attended as a child (Jackie's first bowl, the loss to Air Force). If the stadium gets an upgrade, maybe, but it's so close to home. It's also just a few years removed from being a Conference USA tie-in. State has played in it 4 times in my lifetime. Add that to the home and homes with Memphis and it doesn't feel as special as it should.

Las Vegas - I think has a chance to shoot up if they increase their payout and after a few years of having SEC teams play in the Death Star. They're just a few years removed from this being a Mountain West tie-in, so they'll need to shake that image before I see them as prestigious.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'm almost willing to guarantee we're in the Gator or Reliaquest against a boring *** team. SEC will give us a FL bowl with a turd opponent. But, win that sumbeach! That's all I really care about. Win and possibly get into the top 20. 9 wins and a top 20 will work for me.