Braswell in the portal

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Kind of surprising. I would've thought with Wimmer leaving that he had a solid shot at SS.
Braswell is one of the only ones showing serious development over the season and put himself in great position for next year. Relationship thing?

Reactions: Tngamecock

BT Gamecock

Joined Apr 17, 2009 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
Braswell is one of the only ones showing serious development over the season and put himself in great position for next year. Relationship thing?
Possibly... Maybe a bit hurt that he lost the job in the beginning and didn't really get serious playing time until the injuries kicked in.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I have no doubt someone will get better use out of him than we did. Not sure he would have made it back in the lineup if it werent for injuries. What was really bizarre is when he made it back in the lineup Kingston said it was the right move because he has been the best contact hitter on the team. Gotta say I was scratching my head on that one... the best contact hitter on the team has been sitting the bench. I know he had some things to work on but that was just weird.

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
I have no doubt someone will get better use out of him than we did. Not sure he would have made it back in the lineup if it werent for injuries. What was really bizarre is when he made it back in the lineup Kingston said it was the right move because he has been the best contact hitter on the team. Gotta say I was scratching my head on that one... the best contact hitter on the team has been sitting the bench. I know he had some things to work on but that was just weird.
He probably ran his analytical numbers again to find his mistake 😏🤭

Reactions: Blues man

1982cock

Jan 22, 2022
Really hate this but as to him starting at beginning of season think the numbers just squeezed him. He wasnt going to be in front of Wimmer, Lecroy, or McGillis unless going to put him at 2nd and let McGillis DH ( like we did at end of season). Still a valuable contributor Nonetheless, puzzling in that would likely be starting SS next year I would assume

accock

Jan 22, 2022
Possibly... Maybe a bit hurt that he lost the job in the beginning and didn't really get serious playing time until the injuries kicked in.
I had a feeling earlier in the season that he would hit the portal after being beat out at short.

USCClassof1974

Joined Apr 22, 2000
Jan 21, 2022
Not trying to connect dots that aren't there, but I believe Cannarella went to Clemson as a SS. That being said, I was a Braswell fan. Biggest issue for me was high strikeout numbers, but he wasn't alone in that category.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Not trying to connect dots that aren't there, but I believe Cannarella went to Clemson as a SS. That being said, I was a Braswell fan. Biggest issue for me was high strikeout numbers, but he wasn't alone in that category.
I believe his decision was made during the season.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
His range isn’t good enough, and doesn’t have speed. Doesn’t hit for power at all. Not sure where he’s going to land, but I’d be shocked if it were an sec level program.

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
His production doesn’t support that. Fiery competitor, sure. But if we have a hard time replacing him we’re in bigger trouble than we thought.
Hmmm... Maybe I'm wrong. I see him landing at another SEC school or a good ACC team. Probably beat us next year if we play against him.

We'll see.

Reactions: 92Pony

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Lawd have mercy, I thought this was about Dontavius Braswell. (yes, I know the portal isn't open, but rational thinking was out when I read the title)

Last edited:
Reactions: accock and 92Pony

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
There has to be an end of the season interview, maybe he just didn't hear that he was valued for the future, or maybe he was just ready to move on.
Wimmer did beat him out for the position and Wimmer is a good college SS, but I don't think he is a great college SS. Some times you just see the writing on the well, I assume.

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
Braswell was the better shortstop. I do not blame Braswell for leaving. Wimmer is good but Braswell showed that he is the better all around player. Wimmer I cannot tell you the number of times he swung at bad pitches outside down and low. Several times last year Wimmer stood at the plate and did not even swing the bat, just watche 3 strikes with no attempt to even swing the bat. Best for Wimmer. But in my humble opinion Braswell was the better shortstop and a better all around player than Wimmer. Just my 2 cents.

accock

Jan 22, 2022
Braswell was the better shortstop. I do not blame Braswell for leaving. Wimmer is good but Braswell showed that he is the better all around player. Wimmer I cannot tell you the number of times he swung at bad pitches outside down and low. Several times last year Wimmer stood at the plate and did not even swing the bat, just watche 3 strikes with no attempt to even swing the bat. Best for Wimmer. But in my humble opinion Braswell was the better shortstop and a better all around player than Wimmer. Just my 2 cents.
X

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Nah, Brazzy had a better arm, but that's about it. Wimmer was more athletic, better range, better glove, and a much better hitter. Not to bemoan the issue, but the fact that we're sitting here discussing how big a loss a career .271 hitter with 3 HRs is indicative of how far we've fallen as a program.

Reactions: USCEDGE

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
Hate to see that. He made some great defensive plays, got some big hits and can play short or second base. Wish him well also.

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
Hmmm... Maybe I'm wrong. I see him landing at another SEC school or a good ACC team. Probably beat us next year if we play against him.

We'll see.

Just as I thought. Not just a good team but a top team. Folks on here saying he wouldn't land on a high level team 👀.

And the second part will probably come true too, if we play them next year, they'll beat us, and he'll be part of it.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Just as I thought. Not just a good team but a top team. Folks on here saying he wouldn't land on a high level team 👀.

And the second part will probably come true too, if we play them next year, they'll beat us, and he'll be part of it.
He may or may not have anything to do with it. But if LSU makes an Omaha run next year, it ain't going to be b/c of Brazzy. This one is very puzzling.

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
He went to LSU. Meanwhile, we've got some very mediocre looking fellows coming in through the portal. The writing is on the wall. We just have to wait oh... probably two more years before Kingston exits.

muscleknight

Jan 20, 2022
I thought I heard an announcer say that the UF pitcher that smoked us transfered in from a smaller school?

athenscock3

Feb 7, 2022
Well at least we can find some consolation in the announcement on Phil’s site that Clemson fans are feeling pain too. He reports that Amick one of the key contributors to Clemson resurgence is entering the portal in a surprise move. The portal madness is an equal menace.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Well at least we can find some consolation in the announcement on Phil’s site that Clemson fans are feeling pain too. He reports that Amick one of the key contributors to Clemson resurgence is entering the portal in a surprise move. The portal madness is an equal menace.
WOW!! That kid was a stud, and a MAJOR reason for their turn around.

When you think about it, the portal is an absolute disaster for baseball. Scholarships are already at a premium. So most guys are paying something to go to school. That NIL money is a big factor in baseball. Potentially bigger than football. It's been said that Brazzy got a $200K NIL deal from LSU...go do your think big fella. I'm certainly happy we didn't match that.