Breaking: Oregon expected to remain in Pac 12

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Interesting development, as Oregon was the center of any further additions to the Big 10 from the Pac 12. It seems the Big 10 revenue offer wasn't enough to offset the burden of cross-country travel.

It also seems that neither side, Oregon or the Big 10, wanted to be seen as making a decision that would effectively kill a 108 year old rival conference.

If this report holds up, that grossly limits Big 10 expansion options.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Interesting development, as Oregon was the center of any further additions to the Big 10 from the Pac 12. It seems the Big 10 revenue offer wasn't enough to offset the burden of cross-country travel.

It also seems that neither side, Oregon or the Big 10, wanted to be seen as making a decision that would effectively kill a 108 year old rival conference.

It does limit them, but it may simply refocus them more on the east coast. And the offer was reportedly a 50% share of TV revenue for several years….which was still more than what they will get under the PACs new contract.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

That is very surprising. Where does that leave the P12?

Also, I don't buy the "we don't want to be seen killing a 108 year old entity". That sounds like something you say after negotiations broke down.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It does limit them, but it may simply refocus them more on the east coast. And the offer was reportedly a 50% share of TV revenue for several years….which was still more than what they will get under the PACs new contract.

Not sure what options are available. Neither FSU nor Clemson are in the AAU, which is a tacit requirement for Big 10 membership.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Any report on the meeting of Washington’s Board of Regents from last night?

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Not sure what options are available. Neither FSU nor Clemson are in the AAU, which is a tacit requirement for Big 10 membership.
I think the big targets are UNC, UVA and probably Miami and to a lesser extent Duke.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
That is very surprising. Where does that leave the P12?

Also, I don't buy the "we don't want to be seen killing a 108 year old entity". That sounds like something you say after negotiations broke down.

I doubt it was the driving factor, but it seems to have been a consideration. I don't think it would overridden the move if it just made too much financial sense, but it does not seem to have for either side.

Big 10 members were wary that the addition could actually decrease the per school payout. The revenue offer from the Big 10 to the Washington and Oregon (rumored to be $35-40 million), was not enough to offset the burden of cross-country travel. It seems the line of thinking may have been "Is it worth killing a 108 year old conference for this?" With what was on the table it doesn't appear side felt it was worth killing off the Pac 12.

Maybe it's not true, but I hope it is. It's the first semi-sane thing I've heard in regards to expansion.

Reactions: Lurker123

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Any report on the meeting of Washington’s Board of Regents from last night?

Not that I have read, but it doesn't appear the Big 10 will have interest in Washington without Oregon. Oregon was apparently the centerpiece to any other Pac 12 additions.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think the big targets are UNC, UVA and probable Miami and to a lesser extent Duke.

That would certainly strengthen their position as a basketball conference, relative to the SEC. I don't think they've won a title since MSU won one in 2000.

It doesn't really move the needle much for football.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Boy, this is a fluid situation.

Pac-12 failed to reach a GOR this morning which throws everything back up in the air.

It was rumored that Big 10 is offering in the neighborhood of $35-40 million to Oregon and Washington. Those schools figure travel would cost them an additional $10 million annually, which makes it close to a wash financially, hence the view this morning that the Pac-12 could be saved.

Now that no GOR was agreed to, it's anyone's guess. Big 10 ADs are leery of all the travel as well. And they acknowledge that adding Washington and Oregon likely would mean decreased revenue payouts per school.

However, the ACC and Pac-12 have been discussing a merger, and one anonymous athletic director expressed a desire to make things work, per Pete Nakos of On3.

“If we can help support the Pac-12, I’m all for it,” one ACC athletic director told On3, “college athletics needs the West Coast league.”

Latest posts