Buy/Sell: A major motion picture will be made

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
about Sly Croom.

I'm buying. Not in the next couple of years but one day. The story is too perfect for some scriptwriter.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
about Sly Croom.

I'm buying. Not in the next couple of years but one day. The story is too perfect for some scriptwriter.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
more black coaches in the south are hired. Sort of a "he paved the way" type angle. As he said in the ESPN piece it was his duty to take the job so future generations would have a chance.

don't know about that, but it makes for a good story.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Especially after he wins the sec a couple of times, doesn't jump ship for mo' money, and stays with little ol' MSU because we gave him his shot.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
about this a couple of times already? Remember the Titans, Coach Carter?

And the For Sale sign in his yard will have some racial epithet on it complete with a scene of the Ku Klux Klan placing the sign in his yard.

But I'm going to sell unless Croom wins something like the SEC or even the NC. <Rosebowl bound baby!>

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
I could easily see him being 6-6 next season and 4-8 the next.

Who is going to make a movie about a man that had one winning season in 6 years?

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
along with the rest of us, easily saw him going 3-9 this past year, and he went 8-5.

So maybe predicting his ultimate failure isn't a great idea just yet.

Maybe you predicting anything isn't a great idea, with your track record since August.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
You really think Byrne would fire him after having one losing regular season after taking us to two bowls in a row?

(Assuming 6-6 gets us in the Indy Bowl, and for the heck of it let's say we lose and end up 6-7)

I don't think that would happen, and actually I think that would be pretty ****** of us.

orthodawg08

Feb 23, 2008
And for the most part we've been playing well since August, so, basically, he just preaches gloom and doom and woe is MSU athletics.

windcrysmary

Nov 11, 2007
on some key elements over the past few years...I'd like to see them correct themselves...

1st.. I'll never forget the black journalist at ESPN on the sports reporters story trying to downsell Croom's hiring saying "well don't forget this is the school that didnt' want to send their lilly white players to play in the NIT".... HUH!!!????
our athletic dept DEFIED the racist legislature and governor and SNUCK OUT to play the damn game you *******!!!! DUMBASS LYING *****!!!...(sorry.. never forgave espn for that and it still fires me up everytime I think of it)...

they also seem to forget about how we played black QB'S for the first time in the SEC...

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.. don't mix us up with the james meridith (God rest his soul) saga

ArrowDawg

Oct 10, 2006
....from this point on. There's no way it's a story if last season was a fluke, and it will be if our offense doesn't get worlds better.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
is for him to remove himself from the offense and just be the head coach. I think his stubborness is going to be the end of him. He may prove me wrong.

But if my scenario happens, which is just as likely as him winning, would definitely make people think.

How would firing him for one winning season and one bowl trip in 6 years (SC didnt get a bowl going 6-6, dont think we will either) be unfair?

ArrowDawg

Oct 10, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________And the For Sale sign in his yard will have some racial epithet on it complete with a scene of the Ku Klux Klan placing the sign in his yard._________________________________________________

Good point, even though it couldn't be further from the truth. The fact of the matter is that we weren't getting better, and fans do that kind of stuff to all coaches no matter their skin color. Hollywood, however, wouldn't think twice about another opportunity to paint MS in a racist light again.

B

BillBrasky10

As long as they dont call us Michigan State I will be allright.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
Ok well, let's say we go 6-6 and don't go to a bowl and then go 4-8.

Now remember he took over a 2-10 program about to go on probation that was the worst in the SEC at the time.

He then goes- 3-8 Lost to Maine, but beat Florida
3-8- beats Ole Miss
3-9- lose to Tulane, but beats Bama on the road.

Now the years we're really looking at:

8-5- beats Auburn on the road, UK on the road, Bama, and Ole Miss. Wins LB.
6-6- No bowl
4-8- No bowl

Looking at the last three seasons, it's pretty clear that the program has improved since he took over. You don't fire someone for improving your program- especially if you're Mississippi State. I mean really, What the Hell? His "last three seasons" are still basically 1 losing season, and there's no way to know what kind of teams we would have beaten those last two years. Even during his worst seasons, he still was able to manage to get his team to beat some pretty good teams in games that were essentially meaningless for MSU.

OK, now you're going to say that while we are improved overall in comparison to his first three seasons, we are also declining. That's true, and that would be something that's worrysome, and he would be on the hotseat for me anyway. But we need to let him coach one more year after that 4-8 season to see if he could turn it around. If he doesn't win after that season, then I would make a change.

Would you fire Steve Spurrier if he went 4-8 next year? He won the LB two years ago, and then went 6-6 last year. I know I wouldn't.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
as Croom has for MSU would be totally swept to the side in such a movie. Croom would be the winner and as twisted as it would be MSU would somehow come out the loser. I would be a lot more impressed with Croom if some other schools show some interest in him rather than some "B" movie company.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think he's already had the best season he'll ever have. And 8-5 doesn't get many major motion pictures made, even if you are the first minority coach in the SEC.

Three Putt

Nov 15, 2005
made one for everyone's favorite racist, Nolan Richardson?

I thought he blazed the trail for AA coaches in college basketball? Wouldn't that have made a good story?

Or did Nolan's overt racism cast him out of favor?

If so, it's a good lesson to learn, I reckon.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________And the For Sale sign in his yard will have some racial epithet on it complete with a scene of the Ku Klux Klan placing the sign in his yard._________________________________________________

I'm sure it will. I noticed that ESPN found the only Confederate flag that I've ever seen flying on our campus.

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
Did they not show the bronze bust of Confederate General Stephen D. Lee in the middle of the drill field?