Cal and Stanford

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
New rumblings regarding move to ACC but how does this improve a severe revenue gap and big dogs complaining about revenue splits.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Yeah, I heard one guy saying a move announced by the end of this week.

(Random internet rumor alert)

I just don't see how it helps. Those matchuos wouldn't move the needle for me at all. And the minor novelty affect would wear off real fast, especially for them to travel to the east coast for other sports.

I can't imagine espn forking over any more substantial money for adding two teams people don't really care about.

Edit: The only thing going is if the ACC tries to get more money for adding "big markets", but I don't buy it.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Stanford and Cal to the ACC makes as much sense as UCLA and SoCal to the Big 10.

It will be interesting to see if SMU is added after the other two are potentially added. One ACC source said SMU isn't a current priority since they can be added any time.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Edit: The only thing going is if the ACC tries to get more money for adding "big markets", but I don't buy it.

SMU is in a top 5 market nationally. It's a monster. Yes, SMU is not a priority for viewers in that market, but some say that doesn't really matter. You can bet, though, if they get in the ACC, there will be a big push by their DEEP-pocketed boosters to get more exposure. I think SMU could actually do quite well in the ACC.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
SMU is in a top 5 market nationally. It's a monster. Yes, SMU is not a priority for viewers in that market, but some say that doesn't really matter. You can bet, though, if they get in the ACC, there will be a big push by their DEEP-pocketed boosters to get more exposure. I think SMU could actually do quite well in the ACC.

The acc is the perfect conference for them to make a leap in. Get some boosters throwing cash around, beat a few cupcakes a year, build into a top 25 team.... yeah, I could see it.

But like with the other two, unless SMU brings tons of money because of households in "their" market, they aren't bringing in viewers. Because they don't draw eyeballs.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The acc is the perfect conference for them to make a leap in. Get some boosters throwing cash around, beat a few cupcakes a year, build into a top 25 team.... yeah, I could see it.

But like with the other two, unless SMU brings tons of money because of households in "their" market, they aren't bringing in viewers. Because they don't draw eyeballs.

It's been nearly 40 years since they had any relevance. They used to play a pretty stout schedule back in the 80s, matching up with Notre Dame, Texas, OU, Arkansas, A&M etc. If they start getting games against Clemson and FSU, I think that will be a draw. Just depends on if they can get people interested again in SMU football after 36 years.

How fun would it be to see the only program ever to be hit with the death penalty win the ACC? lol Please, oh, please!

Reactions: Lurker123

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
New rumblings regarding move to ACC but how does this improve a severe revenue gap and big dogs complaining about revenue splits.
Wonder how bad ND, GWB, and Condi REALLY want this to happen?? Perhaps we'll find out in the next 24-48 hrs.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
If the ACC really thought this could sway ND to join in football, I think they would do it in a millisecond. By the way, I've been out of the house today. From where are the rumblings coming?

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
If the ACC really thought this could sway ND to join in football, I think they would do it in a millisecond. By the way, I've been out of the house today. From where are the rumblings coming?
If ND was part of the deal, it would probably become very enticing, very quickly.

I doubt ND ever goes to the acc though.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
If ND was part of the deal, it would probably become very enticing, very quickly.

I doubt ND ever goes to the acc though.
ND would swing the deal unquestionably, but no argument from me about the likelihood of them joining the ACC.

Reactions: Lurker123

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
As long as ND is basically treated as a conference, there's no reason for them to join a conference. I don't actually mind ND like some do. I think they're a cool old school team and I'd love to go to a game there one day. But it's very odd to me that a special exception is carved out for them to allow them to remain independent. On the other hand, with the way all tradition is being destroyed, I sort of don't mind it.

But, yes, the ACC would wet themselves at the very notion of getting ND to join. It would easily be the most significant of all the realignment moves...by a logn shot...and instantly give permanent stability. But like all have said. Not happening.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

One guy posted on Twitter that Stanford and Cal have momentum in their favor. That's how it goes these days. Someone posts it on Twitter and then articles are written citing a "report". Some articles will then be written which reference a previous article that was it written. Since it's one news source referencing another news source, it seems more legit, until you find what the ultimate source is.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
One guy posted on Twitter that Stanford and Cal have momentum in their favor. That's how it goes these days. Someone posts it on Twitter and then articles are written citing a "report". Some articles will then be written which reference a previous article that was it written. Since it's one news source referencing another news source, it seems more legit, until you find what the ultimate source is.
Very true

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Stanford has supposedly informed remaining Pac 12 teams it would join the ACC for free (if invited).

They're in position to do so with a $37.8 billion endowment. The endowment could give $50 million/year (or 0.13% of the endowment) to offset not getting any TV revenue and not even scuff the surface of the endowment.