Can anyone relate?

uscjunkie

Senior
Jan 27, 2022
1,052
761
113
I am 53 years old and I have loved Carolina football my whole life. I loved in too much at times. A loss would ruin my week, make me mad enough to scream at the TV, but yesterday I just found myself laughing. I didn’t feel the anger I used to when watching us embarrass ourselves on national tv. Yea I was still disappointed we lost, but it just felt normal. The more I thought about it, maybe that is the worst indictment you could give to a program is your apathy. My love affair with USC football feels more like an abusive relationship at this point! I have debated with people on here many times about firing coaches, hiring coaches, and the optimism that comes with both. It just feels like that dog that keeps chasing his tail; even if you catch it, then what? I don't have any solutions, just apathy.
 

Vegas13

Redshirt
Apr 5, 2008
31
24
3
I am 53 years old and I have loved Carolina football my whole life. I loved in too much at times. A loss would ruin my week, make me mad enough to scream at the TV, but yesterday I just found myself laughing. I didn’t feel the anger I used to when watching us embarrass ourselves on national tv. Yea I was still disappointed we lost, but it just felt normal. The more I thought about it, maybe that is the worst indictment you could give to a program is your apathy. My love affair with USC football feels more like an abusive relationship at this point! I have debated with people on here many times about firing coaches, hiring coaches, and the optimism that comes with both. It just feels like that dog that keeps chasing his tail; even if you catch it, then what? I don't have any solutions, just apathy.
I feel exactly the same. I used to follow recruiting and pull for each player even in the NFL. NIL has taken my player loyalty away because most of them show little loyalty to the program. Carolina football is extremely frustrating. I've been watching this mess for 45 years. I moved to Vegas a few years ago and it's somewhat refreshing that it's not front and center anymore. Even better, you hear nothing about Clemson or Dabo out here. I still hope, and I still watch, but it's just not fun. I've tried to quit on this team for good, but I can't. Like you, I have grown to expect this mess every season and I hope for better, but I've seen this over and over. At this point, after seeing the mess that we are, I scoreboard/stat watch to see what's going on. No use in wasting 3 hours on a terrible product. Thank God for the Braves!
 

Deathstar

Sophomore
Sep 6, 2026
194
157
43
I started losing interest last year. NIL means that the same 10 schools will likely contend to win the championship every year, kind of boring now not having any chance. With the same mediocre product on the field this year I have watched half of two games, I can find better things to do by halftime. All of my friends from Carolina that I am still in touch with feel the same way. Carolina is going to be losing fans and $$$. They better fix football and MBB fast. WBB is not going to pay all the bills for this athletic department and all of their small sports programs that depend on football $$$$.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,912
5,698
113
Apathy is a good way to describe it. NIL was a major, major contributor, but age is just as important, imo.

A little less tailgating, a little less alcohol, games become social events to have fun at rather than something that seems like a need.
 

Dabo's Weenie

Senior
Nov 30, 2024
880
949
93
I am 53 years old and I have loved Carolina football my whole life. I loved in too much at times. A loss would ruin my week, make me mad enough to scream at the TV, but yesterday I just found myself laughing. I didn’t feel the anger I used to when watching us embarrass ourselves on national tv. Yea I was still disappointed we lost, but it just felt normal. The more I thought about it, maybe that is the worst indictment you could give to a program is your apathy. My love affair with USC football feels more like an abusive relationship at this point! I have debated with people on here many times about firing coaches, hiring coaches, and the optimism that comes with both. It just feels like that dog that keeps chasing his tail; even if you catch it, then what? I don't have any solutions, just apathy.

There are benefits to that testosterone spigot being slowly turned off as we age.

Not many, but some. 😄
 
  • Like
Reactions: 92Pony

Anon1667100206

Redshirt
Dec 29, 2014
90
28
18
I am 53 years old and I have loved Carolina football my whole life. I loved in too much at times. A loss would ruin my week, make me mad enough to scream at the TV, but yesterday I just found myself laughing. I didn’t feel the anger I used to when watching us embarrass ourselves on national tv. Yea I was still disappointed we lost, but it just felt normal. The more I thought about it, maybe that is the worst indictment you could give to a program is your apathy. My love affair with USC football feels more like an abusive relationship at this point! I have debated with people on here many times about firing coaches, hiring coaches, and the optimism that comes with both. It just feels like that dog that keeps chasing his tail; even if you catch it, then what? I don't have any solutions, just apathy.
It is normal.
 

Evilchicken

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2019
1,318
1,044
113
I couldn’t care less about our football program. We have other teams that bring prestige to the university. #EquestrianChamps

😑
 
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Football Insider Report: What's gone wrong for South Carolina, Bama game thoughts, what's next?
  2. 02 GamecockCentral Football 10 takeaways from South Carolina's blowout loss to Alabama
  3. 03 GamecockCentral Beyond the box score: 20 observations from South Carolina's ugly loss to Alabama
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Football Recruiting Keeping up with South Carolina commitments: week 6
  5. 05 GamecockCentral Football South Carolina falls out of majority of national bowl projections following second loss