Carl Nichols...

croomandwhite

Aug 30, 2006
Anyone have any memories and/or stories from when Carl Nichols was playing bball here? He's speaking in McCool and I would like to pretend that I remember him, since I was approximately 6 while he was here.

croomandwhite

Aug 30, 2006
Anyone have any memories and/or stories from when Carl Nichols was playing bball here? He's speaking in McCool and I would like to pretend that I remember him, since I was approximately 6 while he was here.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Great guy, had several classes with him.

He was on our team that beat Shaq to share the SEC title in 1991... Ask him about that..

patdog

May 28, 2007
Carl signed with us when we were coming off of back-to-back 3-15 SEC seasons and left with an SEC title. But Shaq sat out that last game of the year at the Hump with an injury. We did beat them in Baton Rouge with him earlier in the year though. He was part of a special group of players who laid the foundation for all the success we've had in basketball since then.

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
they had the great Geert Hammink.

Seriously, LSU could have trotted out the college age Shaq, Chris Jackson, Bob Pettit, Pete Maravich, and Stanley Roberts, and we would have won that day. It was meant to be.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Geert Hammink. Now there's a name I haven't heard in oh, about 17 years now. Considering where we had been and that it had been almost 40 years since we had been to an NCAA tournament or had any real success at all in basketball, that day still ranks as one of my all-time favorite MSU moments. I'm not ashamed to say that a few tears rolled down my cheeks when that clock ticked down to 0:00.

I'm not sure if it was that year or the year before in Baton Rouge when we fouled Shaq 14 times to win the game. Two centers fouled out and freshman third stringer David Domingue picked up 4 fouls.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
UK was on probation.
But you can't take that away from our team.
I was there when we beat LSU and it was a great win.
UK finished one game ahead, not two.
Get your facts straight George..

1991 Mississippi State 13-5
LSU 13-5
Kentucky@ 14 4
@ Not eligible for championship

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
on massive probation. Almost got the death penalty in '89, thanks to Eddie Sutton. I think they finished 15-3. Might've been 14-4. Either way, they won the most games, but weren't eligible for the title. 90-91 was their last year of probation.

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
if I throw out some MSU bit of history, and you aren't quite sure that I'm right, you need to just go ahead and assume that I am. Because I am.

GuyD770

Feb 27, 2008
And I remember hearing a legend...

That Carl actually DUNKED, once upon a time...

I didn't believe it, either...

:)

CagerMania

Feb 27, 2008
"There's bedlam on the floor of the Humphrey Coliseum and you can wrap this one in Maroon and White!"

One of the greatest sound clips in State's history, along with "Grand Slam for Masters!".

Best Geert memory is that we used to chant '90210' at him to make fun of his haircut.

GuyD770

Feb 27, 2008
George Mikan? He did damn near everything else in the paint...

(If so, Thanks Google)

State82

Feb 27, 2008
That reminds me of a strange experience during his senior year. Went hunting in Katy, TX every year and while driving around downtown Houston, TX one Sat. night in January one of my buddies was scanning the radio in the car. All of a sudden I heard this old familiar voice....."And at center, the 6-8 senior from Flora, Cameron "Smoke" Burns". Now that was one hell of an AM frequency skip right there. Just a random thought when I saw his name mentioned.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
that is closed now, the one right next to campus and he was recruiting Othello Harrington. He yelled out "Do you know who this is?" while pointing out Othello and everyone screamed out in harmony. He pointed to himself and said "Do you know who I am?", a lone voice said "A has been!". I always thought that was why Othello went to Gtown.

Stuttgart

Apr 15, 2007
it snowed like 8-9" in Starkville. We beat LSU at the Hump and got a couple days off from class due to all the snow the next week. Good times.

SoccerDawg

Sep 19, 2007
and would watch practice for a cool down.

After practice one day...Carl came up and sat down behind me and started a conversation. Nothing much to remember...never saw him again...except on the court...but thought he was a genuine type guy.

Hope he is doing well.

DawgTeacher

Feb 24, 2008
Won't ever forget the poster a college guy had that read, "No slack for Cry Baby Shaq!" The picture of Nichols holding up the index finger in the mob of fans after the game used to be in all the media guides and programs (back when they had decent programs).

Mister Meoff

Feb 24, 2008
Biggest Bulldog fan you'll ever meet, and he keeps up with it, too. I think he's the president of the jackson area alumni association or something.

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
paper. Daddy Dale talking about Shaq's toughness:

That's Shaq. He not only competes, he plays in pain, better than anyone I ever coached. I remember having to fight him one time to keep him out of a game against Mississippi State. Turned out he had a hairline fracture in his leg.