Cerantola?...

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,827
2,956
113
Last two games were double digit blowouts where the coaching staff declined to give Cerantola any mound time. On tuesday we put two guys on the hill that burned through 7 runs and will never see the field in any remotely meaningful situation.

That seemed to me like two prime and relatively safe opportunities to give Eric some reps that he sorely needs if he has any chance to help us out later this year.

What do all make of this? Is this a sign that he's pretty much done? Is he even on the SEC roster?
 

Willow Grove Dawg

All-American
Nov 3, 2016
8,408
6,097
113
Unfortunately it seems like every time we put him on the mound in a meaningful situation that his draft stock suffers.
 

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,612
7,829
113
Was wondering that myself. To go from weekend starter to non-existent reeks of a little turbulence between him and the coaching staff, but that’s 100% guessing on my part. I am wondering if he basically told Lemonis that if he’s not going to start, he’ll just prep for his pro career.
 

missouridawg

Junior
Oct 6, 2009
9,406
308
83
I wonder if they put some ground rules on him that he has to pass in practice before he can see the field again. I'm sure he's working his tail off in practice, but until he reaches some type of control milestone, they're not going to let him throw in a game.

It doesn't make a ton of sense to not try and get him some innings in those blowouts.
 

DirtyDog

Redshirt
Aug 24, 2012
520
14
18
I saw him go to the bullpen from the dugout during the Arkansas State game, but he never entered the game to pitch. Not sure if they just warmed him up for some bullpen time or he didn't look good and they went a different direction with their sequence of pitching.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,171
5,714
113
Was wondering that myself. To go from weekend starter to non-existent reeks of a little turbulence between him and the coaching staff, but that’s 100% guessing on my part. I am wondering if he basically told Lemonis that if he’s not going to start, he’ll just prep for his pro career.

Doesn't have to be turbulence. He's not helping his draft stock when he goes out there. He and staff may have discussed his future plans and if he's going pro this summer regardless, maybe they mutually decided that the best approach is for him to practice. Doing well in spot duty against some midweeks isn't going to help his draft status. And isn't going to help MSU unless something clicks that allows him to get enough control that he can help us as a third starter or long reliever. If he were coming back for next year, I think you keep trying him out. If he's leaving, I still hate to give up on him, but I can see the argument that we have to solidify roles for this year and also get young pitchers innings for development, and hoping something clicks between now and the SEC tournament is probably not a good bet.
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,686
24,540
113
It's disappointing that he hasn't pitched in either of the last two games. I wonder what his bullpens have looked like lately. Maybe he's not earning the innings in practice.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
We have like 25 pitchers and are trying to get a ton of different guys work. He’s just been the odd man out lately.
 

PirateDawg

Redshirt
Jan 9, 2020
1,751
0
0
I wonder if the pitch that almost took a batter's head off has anything to do with the decision. I can't imagine what it would feel like even with a helmet on to get hit with a 98 MPH fast ball!
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,114
10,631
113
 

bruiser.sixpack

Redshirt
Aug 13, 2009
7,346
0
0
I saw him go to the bullpen from the dugout during the Arkansas State game, but he never entered the game to pitch. Not sure if they just warmed him up for some bullpen time or he didn't look good and they went a different direction with their sequence of pitching.

Think about that for a minute. Or maybe just 10 seconds. IF they went in a different direction in the 9th, they certainly pulled a Lloyd Christmas and wound up back in eastern Kansas. Those guys couldn’t get anybody out.
 

Eleven Bravo

Junior
Aug 31, 2018
625
283
63
I’m a little surprised that anyone is wanting him to pitch at this point after all the things that were said about him after his last few outings. I mean, if the guy really “sucks” as bad as many have stated, why are some still acting like they are interested in seeing him again.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,690
12,393
113
I am too. I won't ever say he sucks, he doesn't deserve that. But, they've worked w/ him for almost 2 full seasons now and a partial one. He's been through almost two full off seasons which include Spring and Fall training. Presumably he has pitched in the summer leagues somewhere and had coaching there too. I don't care if he can throw the ball through a damn brick wall, if he can't throw it for a strike it does nobody any good, whatsoever.

His freshman season got everybody excited. He was 3-0. Those 3 victories were against Jackson St, AR-Pine Bluff and Grambling for heavens sake. We have a stable full of pitchers every year that can start against those 3 and we'll outscore them almost every time as long as we have somebody throwing it over the plate. That start against MS Valley St two seasons ago was atrocious. He got 1 out, ONE, in the first inning. He walked 3 and hit 1 before the coaches tapped him out w/ the bases loaded and them with a lead.

Maybe he will click w/ someone that can see what he's doing wrong and correct that. He's bound to have some head issues too w/ self doubt that will have to be worked out too. I just don't feel like our staff has the time to devote to it in the midst of a season. If he stays around by all means work with him but we can't afford to experiment in games anymore.
 
Last edited:

PirateDawg

Redshirt
Jan 9, 2020
1,751
0
0
I still hold out hope that he will get his pitching under control. Personally, I think it is more mental than physical. I just think he gets to amped up and the wild comes out. Meditation might help or, as someone stated, sacrificing a chicken before the games he pitches.
 

WrapItDog

Senior
Aug 23, 2012
4,335
791
113
His freshman season got everybody excited. He was 3-0. Those 3 victories were against Jackson St, AR-Pine Bluff and Grambling for heavens sake.

He pitched the final 2 innings allowing 1 hit and 0 waiks against LSU in a 12-2 loss in the SEC tournament. Kyle Peterson was like who the hell is this guy his stuff is outstanding. Where has he been all season. Why haven't we seen him before.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Who Controls the Skies?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Complementary team football is what they're doing really well": Alabama HC Kalen DeBoer on Mississippi State matchup
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football SEC Nation returns to Starkville, beginning with Friday Finebaum show
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Players to Know
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting No. 16 Mississippi State hosts Alabama with a 2027 flip target, two elite QBs and other top prospects visiting