Chip Kelly extended for four years at UCLA

TahoeTrojan

Feb 7, 2018
Sesame Street Reaction GIF by HBO Max

Reactions: Alvaro Carrillo

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
Now he has lots of hires to make, good luck to him!
Fight On!

Dallas Schwartz

Jan 9, 2021
The Duckfarts bent over an grabbed ankles to get Lanning to sign on as the new HC once stinky shoe boy got a text msg askin if it was true that Chip was comin home...

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017

:LOL:

"No one is comparing Kelly’s tenure to those of Terry Donahue, Red Sanders or even Jim Mora. His 18-25 record is the worst for any coach who lasted four seasons at the school, edging the inglorious 21-29 mark Rick Neuheisel compiled from 2008-11. The Bruins also have never seriously contended for a Pac-12 South title under Kelly, finishing tied for second place with Arizona State this season after essentially being eliminated from contention before Halloween."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SouthbayTrojan91

djgcue

Aug 24, 2017
Great news!
I feel like they're conceding college football to their cross town rivals.
I was worried about the rumors of fUCLA going after Aranda or even Fickell.

Merlin4SC

Jun 23, 2021
and they got beat in hoops by the 10-6 Zeros last night. Sucks to be a bRuin this week / month / year. At one point not long ago, I had high hopes for hoops this year. Now I have no freakin idea what the hell happened to them but they are deteriorating fast.

Last edited:

BESCFAN

Aug 24, 2017
It took him 4 years to win 8 games in the pathetic Woke12. They can have him...forever I hope. My 2 fucla fan friends are fuming over this extension.

Reactions: GUSC

usc1011

Aug 24, 2017
Unfortunately, I have to disagree with the crowd. Its beginning to turn at the ruins. He is getting his type of recruits/transfers and the culture is improving. The 8-4 this year was a start.
Going to be some good games between us and them over the next few years.
As I've stated many times, USC needs the pac 12 to improve. Hate the ruins but if they help get this pitiful conference respected that is good.

Reactions: Legere33

heyrev

Aug 24, 2017
Unfortunately, I have to disagree with the crowd. Its beginning to turn at the ruins. He is getting his type of recruits/transfers and the culture is improving. The 8-4 this year was a start.
As I've stated many times, USC needs the pac 12 to improve. Hate the ruins but if they help get this pitiful conference respected that is good.
I tend to agree with you but Chip is really hard to figure out. The guy definitely can scheme well offensively. When his players execute they are going to put up points. But overall, Chip seems totally disinterested in recruiting, is a prickly personality that garners little if no buzz for their program, and can't seem to stabilize a staff on the defensive side to make them a consistent winner. Four more years?!? I don't see it.

TrojanMoondoggie

Aug 24, 2017
Considering there has to be a bottom dweller in every conference, I personally would rather it be ucla, year in/year out. ;)

That being said, they did turn somewhat of a corner last year, I agree. And the better the record is, the more players who will look at you.

Let's see what happens next year though.

Are his inconsistencies mentioned by some on here going to keep him with a respectable record but not a great one? Has he lost that Oregon mojo? Or is he going to be moving onward and upward with the bruins?

Someone on the boards here mentioned them as a potential 9 game winner next year because of their schedule. If they land themselves a good QB and some key recruits, can you add possibly one or 2 additional wins to that? If so, those who like ucla good will be getting their wish. Just like that, they'll be in the national conversation. Let's hope USC is too, sooner than later.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
I tend to agree with you but Chip is really hard to figure out. The guy definitely can scheme well offensively. When his players execute they are going to put up points. But overall, Chip seems totally disinterested in recruiting, is a prickly personality that garners little if no buzz for their program, and can't seem to stabilize a staff on the defensive side to make them a consistent winner. Four more years?!? I don't see it.

Does not seem you "tend to agree".
But I agree with everything you say after that sentence.

If he can't keep a staff and can't inspire his players and does not like to recruit.....well, then 8-4 seasons are going to be a lot more common than a 10-2 season. And then mix in the occasional losing season.

heyrev

Aug 24, 2017
Does not seem you "tend to agree".
But I agree with everything you say after that sentence.

If he can't keep a staff and can't inspire his players and does not like to recruit.....well, then 8-4 seasons are going to be a lot more common than a 10-2 season. And then mix in the occasional losing season.
OK, fair enough. Let's say I agree that Chip "seems" to have turned a corner, and he flashes as a really good coach. Where I disagree is in the confidence the poster inferred upon Chip's remaining tenure. He's just a bit of a mystery to me. He could just as easily go 2-10 again as improving on 8-4. That's why I think a 4-year extension is a poor decision. He certainly deserved another year--beyond that is too much of a gamble if I'm the AD.
Hope the clarifies...

Dallas Schwartz

Jan 9, 2021
This is huge for UCLA. He just needs time to set up his system and bring in his own coaches and recruits.
Well maybe in another 4 years he'll have his own recruits & coaches in tow... lol

Congrats bRuin fans; you're about to return to your rightful place amongst the irrelevant...

Reactions: TrojanMoondoggie

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Considering there has to be a bottom dweller in every conference, I personally would rather it be ucla, year in/year out. ;)

That being said, they did turn somewhat of a corner last year, I agree. And the better the record is, the more players who will look at you.

Let's see what happens next year though.

Are his inconsistencies mentioned by some on here going to keep him with a respectable record but not a great one? Has he lost that Oregon mojo? Or is he going to be moving onward and upward with the bruins?

Someone on the boards here mentioned them as a potential 9 game winner next year because of their schedule. If they land themselves a good QB and some key recruits, can you add possibly one or 2 additional wins to that? If so, those who like ucla good will be getting their wish. Just like that, they'll be in the national conversation. Let's hope USC is too, sooner than later.

Does winning 9 or 10 games because of a cupcake schedule make you good? I don't think so.
However, they could use that result on the recruiting trail.

The key is not what they do, it is what we do.
If USC can get back to form and also wins the head-to-head in 2022 we will be in great shape for 2023 and onwards. Then we won't give a rats *ss about what ugly does.

Who's High Pitch?

Sep 13, 2017
He has had a 4 year starter at QB and a lot of seniors/ transfers on offense. Very few elite programs have a QB that sticks around that long. I don't see the corner turned, but rather a mature roster and a horrible Pac 12.

TrojanMoondoggie

Aug 24, 2017
Does winning 9 or 10 games because of a cupcake schedule make you good? I don't think so.
However, they could use that result on the recruiting trail.

The key is not what they do, it is what we do.
If USC can get back to form and also wins the head-to-head in 2022 we will be in great shape for 2023 and onwards. Then we won't give a rats *ss about what ugly does.
It will indeed get the attention of recruits.
And ucla isn’t exactly some minor university on the national scene either.
A 10 win season puts them on the map regardless of who they beat to get there. In fact, many of the teams they would beat to get there are the same teams we would be beating.
And ucla doesn’t exactly shy away from ooc opponents either. They have some patsies like we do, but they also throw in some names.
As to what they’re doing or not doing, they’re in the same conference and division as us, so yes, it does kind of matter.
Do I care if they lose? No.
Do I care if they win? Only to the degree that it not get in our way of achieving the prize.
I’m not going to disassociate my observations completely though from what’s going on with our in town rival.
In the meantime, if they are the perennial cellar dweller, fine by me.

1969Trojan

Aug 24, 2017
Congratulations to Bruin Nation for this extension. His winning percentage of 42% at UCLA is not bad at all. If you are happy we are happy. The news is not earth-shattering like the hiring of CLR by Mr. Bohn but it's good news regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrojanMoondoggie

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
I like that. Another one: When your opponent's boat is sinking, throw him an anchor!
Literally just a Napoleon quote - although I recall something similar from Sun Tzu, but I don't feel like looking it up.

Reminds me of Obama's "Please continue, Governor" to Romney as he was putting his foot in his mouth at a debate, as well.
(And you could tell from Romney's reaction that had you asked either of them to describe what had just happened after, they both would have pulled out the same quote. You know, as literate students of history... an exceedingly rare quality in today's political and business landscape. But I digress.)

My other gem from the military world is the same quote from two very different thinkers:

"No plan for battle survives first contact with the enemy."
- Erwin Rommel (paraphrasing von Moltke the Elder's theory)

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."
- Mike Tyson

Barryg0791

Dec 4, 2021
Literally just a Napoleon quote - although I recall something similar from Sun Tzu, but I don't feel like looking it up.

Reminds me of Obama's "Please continue, Governor" to Romney as he was putting his foot in his mouth at a debate, as well.
(And you could tell from Romney's reaction that had you asked either of them to describe what had just happened after, they both would have pulled out the same quote. You know, as literate students of history... an exceedingly rare quality in today's political and business landscape. But I digress.)

My other gem from the military world is the same quote from two very different thinkers:

"No plan for battle survives first contact with the enemy."
- Erwin Rommel (paraphrasing von Moltke the Elder's theory)

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."
- Mike Tyson
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."...is by far my favorite!

Reactions: AnArchitect

jbreezy7

Jun 9, 2020
What’s funny is this is actually good for UGLY. Man, they’re utterly pointless!

Latest posts