Cognac recommendations

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
I’m interested in trying some cognacs for an after dinner drink but need some suggestions as to what would be a good entry level bottle to start off with. I want something decent but don’t want to break the bank. I’m normally a bourbon or Irish whisky drinker. Can someone suggest something I should buy perhaps in the $50 or less per bottle range? Thanks

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
Ferrand Double Cask Reserve.

Aged in French oak barrels for 7-10 years, then blended w/ 20+ year old cognac and then aged in banyuls (French dessert wine) barrels. It will run you between $60-$80.

I feel like you really can't go wrong with any Ferrand or Chateau Labaude (technically an Armagnac) if you're a bourbon drinker.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Thanks- both a bit pricier than I was seeking. Any sub $50 worth buying?

Last edited:

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
I'm just getting started in the aged brandy, but I think Hine H Cognac VSOP, Pierre Ferrand 1840, Chateau Labaude 6 year are probably good places to start for a bourbon drinker. If you find that you enjoy those, feel free to circle back around to that Ferrand Double Cask. :)

FYI, I'm lumping cognac and armangac into the list here because theyre so closely related.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
I'm just getting started in the aged brandy, but I think Hine H Cognac VSOP, Pierre Ferrand 1840, Chateau Labaude 6 year are probably good places to start for a bourbon drinker. If you find that you enjoy those, feel free to circle back around to that Ferrand Double Cask. :)

FYI, I'm lumping cognac and armangac into the list here because theyre so closely related.
Will do - thanks

Reactions: MLU

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
1669223620254.jpeg
Got this bottle as a Birthday present today and look forward to giving it a taste tonight and maybe tomorrow evening to cap off the Thanksgiving dinner. It certainly comes in a handsome bottle.

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
View attachment 266680Got this bottle as a Birthday present today and look forward to giving it a taste tonight and maybe tomorrow evening to cap off the Thanksgiving dinner. It certainly comes in a handsome bottle.
That will make a nice Infinity Bottle when you're done. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
That will make a nice Infinity Bottle when you're done. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts.
I tried a taste tonight. I’d describe it as light on the tongue with a definite wine base with some mild astringency on the finish. It was very smooth overall and soothing. The most pronounced taste was one of vanilla with some hint of nuts and spices. I can see enjoying a bit as an after dinner drink or late at night neat before retiring to bed. There is still a little bite to it, more than I expected. It warms the tummy.

• Love
Reactions: MLU