Cole Snyder

DHajekRC84

Heisman
Aug 9, 2001
30,708
19,816
0
If it makes sense to play other QBs, the coaching staff will do so. Presumably, the younger QBs are developing and getting better. So at some point, unless they are really bad at the other stuff required of QBs in Gleason's system, perhaps another QB will show enough to the coaches to earn more playing time.
Why do you think coaches are so perfect? There's a reason a bunch of them get fired every year. And as much as I like Greg , he has too from his last 2 gigs before 2.0.
 

mildone_rivals

Heisman
Dec 19, 2011
55,607
51,273
0
Why do you think coaches are so perfect? There's a reason a bunch of them get fired every year. And as much as I like Greg , he has too from his last 2 gigs before 2.0.
I didn’t say anything remotely close to “coaches are perfect“. Not even in the same hemisphere as that.

All coaches make all kinds of mistakes all the time. Just ask them.

But even at their most imperfect, D1 coaches have vastly more experience (99.9% of the time) and vastly more information (100% of the time) to decide who to play than any fan. Sports fans thinking they know better is one of the silliest gross misconceptions I ever hear. It’s a completely indefensible position.

Yeah, coaches gets fired all the time. But sports fans don’t even ever get hired. It’s no contest.
 

RUTGERS95

Heisman
Sep 28, 2005
36,164
52,984
113
I didn’t say anything remotely close to “coaches are perfect“. Not even in the same hemisphere as that.

All coaches make all kinds of mistakes all the time. Just ask them.

But even at their most imperfect, D1 coaches have vastly more experience (99.9% of the time) and vastly more information (100% of the time) to decide who to play than any fan. Sports fans thinking they know better is one of the silliest gross misconceptions I ever hear. It’s a completely indefensible position.

Yeah, coaches gets fired all the time. But sports fans don’t even ever get hired. It’s no contest.
they can also be too close or too biased to see what even a novice can see. This has ample evidence in history

cuts both ways

Never forget, 'I forgot I had him on the bench' lol
 

bethlehemfan

Heisman
Sep 6, 2003
15,333
16,809
113
Noah is inconsistent. When he’s good he’s pretty good. But when he’s bad we are non-functional. I wouldn’t mind seeing a little cole mixed in but I have no idea if it’s the right decision.
 

Calazzus

Freshman
Apr 25, 2012
79
73
18
I think some fans need to accept what’s going on here — GS is not trying to win 10 games because he knows we can’t. He’s trying to scrap together 6 and maybe 7, and he knows that for all of his limitations Vedral is the best option to do that. He generally takes care of the ball and he understands the value in living for another series.
I used to believe this until yesterday. He chucked up a few into double coverage and, that is not taking care of the ball.
 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,110
89,266
113
Noah is inconsistent. When he’s good he’s pretty good. But when he’s bad we are non-functional. I wouldn’t mind seeing a little cole mixed in but I have no idea if it’s the right decision.
Just re-watched the first half of Ohio State. Noah's first half was terrible. Overthrown balls, off-target, and he threw once pass in the flat to Pacheco, and don't know how he did not see Pacheco was going to get steamrolled.

He started out OK in the second half, throwing 3 short routes to Sanders, who did a great job in getting yards after the catch. His third INT was just awful. Deep ball that was horribly underthrown.

Snyder had a quicker release and was more on target with his throws, but he did not throw any long passes. Another thing that stood out, and granted it was not against Ohio State's starters, but Wright-Collins should have a bright future.
 

Shelby65

All-Conference
Apr 1, 2008
8,673
4,836
66
84 is right…coaches are often too stubborn, too invested, to unwilling to be second-guessed to make QB switch

In our case, it’s likely that Vedral is the QB only because of our read-option system.

It’s why Art left. It’s why Tom Savage left (backup to Sanu in 1.0s epic WildKnight system).
 

ScarletDog

All-Conference
May 7, 2007
2,132
2,253
113
I live Schiano (no homo) but he has a clear history of mismanaging the QB position. Vedral is a good kid and a good game manager but he cannot make the throws that enable this offense to keep a defense honest. I cannot believe we don’t have several pick sixes by now. Its too easy.
 

bitnez

All-American
Jan 18, 2006
6,683
7,633
113
Like I said the other day, albeit somewhat differently, Vedral doesn’t have a high ceiling but his floor is higher than the other options. And that floor can get us to 6-7 wins. So, while of course GS wants to win every game, he’s not risking 6-7 wins to develop these other guys hoping he can get to 9-10. We’re simply not at that level yet. And, let’s be clear, Wimstatt or Vedral will be our QB next year — not Simon nor Synder.
 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,110
89,266
113
Like I said the other day, albeit somewhat differently, Vedral doesn’t have a high ceiling but his floor is higher than the other options. And that floor can get us to 6-7 wins. So, while of course GS wants to win every game, he’s not risking 6-7 wins to develop these other guys hoping he can get to 9-10. We’re simply not at that level yet. And, let’s be clear, Wimstatt or Vedral will be our QB next year — not Simon nor Synder.
That's a fair take for next year.
What if Vedral has another sputtering performance against Michigan State, or one of the other upcoming games where we should have a chance to win? At what point do Greg and Sean sub in Snyder or Simon?
 

bitnez

All-American
Jan 18, 2006
6,683
7,633
113
That's a fair take for next year.
What if Vedral has another sputtering performance against Michigan State, or one of the other upcoming games where we should have a chance to win? At what point do Greg and Sean sub in Snyder or Simon?


We all know that historically GS is extremely loyal to his QB. And, while some disagree (and that’s ok), I believe GS knows OSU is simply at another level. So, I don’t think he’ll hold that against Vedral or anyone else. That’s a long way of saying it would be 2 more bad performances rather than just 1 before he starts to think about someone else.
 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,110
89,266
113
We all know that historically GS is extremely loyal to his QB. And, while some disagree (and that’s ok), I believe GS knows OSU is simply at another level. So, I don’t think he’ll hold that against Vedral or anyone else. That’s a long way of saying it would be 2 more bad performances rather than just 1 before he starts to think about someone else.
In a similar way, Bielema has steadfastly stood by Brandon Peters. The BTN crew was saying Art should get reps, and during their game, the announcers were saying Art had better stats. Since coming back from his injury, Peter has:
10/25 185yds 0 TD/1 INT in a loss to Maryland
14/26 100 yds, 0 TD/0INT in a loss to Purdue
10/19 78 yds with 1 TD in a victory over Charlotte

Those are some terrible numbers.
 

Boomer2828

Sophomore
Jun 4, 2018
105
107
0

If we look at Cole Snyder’s results on the field, even though we don’t have a large body of work, he simply drives the ball down the field and scores touchdowns almost every time he touches the ball….if I were the coaches, I would be sitting up and taking notes!!! #freesnyder
 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,110
89,266
113

If we look at Cole Snyder’s results on the field, even though we don’t have a large body of work, he simply drives the ball down the field and scores touchdowns almost every time he touches the ball….if I were the coaches, I would be sitting up and taking notes!!! #freesnyder

Cole Snyder has a dedicated group of coaches and followers from Western NY on Twitter.
Cole does move the ball downfield.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RSnyder22

DHajekRC84

Heisman
Aug 9, 2001
30,708
19,816
0
I didn’t say anything remotely close to “coaches are perfect“. Not even in the same hemisphere as that.

All coaches make all kinds of mistakes all the time. Just ask them.

But even at their most imperfect, D1 coaches have vastly more experience (99.9% of the time) and vastly more information (100% of the time) to decide who to play than any fan. Sports fans thinking they know better is one of the silliest gross misconceptions I ever hear. It’s a completely indefensible position.

Yeah, coaches gets fired all the time. But sports fans don’t even ever get hired. It’s no contest.
"If it makes sense to play other QBs, the coaching staff will do so."
That's your original comment i responded to. Not the statistics above.

Your point above.. "All coaches make all kinds of mistakes all the time. Just ask them. " doesn't support your first one.

I totally agree that coaches have the experience and information. I totally agree they make mistakes. That itself supports that they are not certain to make the correct decision with regard to the QB. You just said it yourself. 😀

To be clear, this history of Greg and QBs going all the way back to Chad Schwenk losing the job to a true frosh before the season started cause his daddy came to be the OC is my starting point you can add to the comments by others above.

Honestly as a coach I couldn't begin to do their job. But I've watched enough Rutgers Football for 48 years to know the historical struggles in quality QB play since McMahon save Senior years of Hart, Teel, and Nova.

OK coach, just shot me up and give Snyder some real reps. He can't get it done. So be it.
 

Shelby65

All-Conference
Apr 1, 2008
8,673
4,836
66
the thing is, ‘84, is that the 2 deep is practicing read option full-time each week and that’s not Snyder’s skill set. I’m sure he does get limited reps but he’d only be permitted a very limited set of plays. Schiano is Uber conservative even with the starter so imagine how little Snyder would be allowed to do in a game.
 

RUTGERS95

Heisman
Sep 28, 2005
36,164
52,984
113
the thing is, ‘84, is that the 2 deep is practicing read option full-time each week and that’s not Snyder’s skill set. I’m sure he does get limited reps but he’d only be permitted a very limited set of plays. Schiano is Uber conservative even with the starter so imagine how little Snyder would be allowed to do in a game.
why i said earlier he's a victim of the scheme bias. He should start regardless imho
 

Shelby65

All-Conference
Apr 1, 2008
8,673
4,836
66
95…but then you almost need to start over with practicing and implementing a different offense. Easier said then done.

And then switch back next year or the year after with Wimsatt ? Greg is all-in with this offense and therefore with Vedral this year.

Scheme bias ? 100 %. ‘84 is right that coaches, and in this case Schiano, aren’t always 100% focused on winning the next game. Being only 2 years into an 8 year deal gives him lots of room for losing in the short term.
 
Last edited:

RUShea

All-Conference
Jan 31, 2017
1,095
1,990
113
I'd buy the "he doesn't fit the scheme" position more if we had Lamar Jackson at QB. I think Vedral's running prowess is a bit overrated. Snyder seems more athletic than folks give him credit for.
And I LOVED getting under center and running a sneak on 4th in short.
 

Rokodesh

Heisman
Aug 30, 2007
16,268
13,710
73
The key is arm strength. All these sideline screen throws --- Vedrals ball takes ten minutes to get there and our receiver is taken down right away much of the time. Snider comes in and zips the ball to the same spots and the YAC is significant. And for Christ's sake look at what Youngblood can do. Word is he doesn't run great patterns. Who cares...throw him the bubble and let him go.
I can't believe we don't play Youngblood more often. The kid is fast as **** and the defense can't defend both him and AC in the open field. Instead we run 4 yard passes to Langan which are going to be tackled almost immediately.
 

Yeah Baby

All-American
Aug 14, 2001
19,261
6,466
0
I saw a QB under pressure with no passing lanes and nobody coming free down the field. I do like Snyder’s arm but he would have been in the same boat in the first half. If he can help us win games I am all for seeing more of him.
 

GSGS

Heisman
Aug 2, 2001
29,196
23,475
113
Given Vedral's limitations, he needs to be more accurate on his short throws. When his throws make the WR or RB have to stretch for the ball, it gives the D time to react and often eliminates the YAC that are necessary to make the play successful. Snyder seemed to be more accurate on the short passes.
 

GoodOl'Rutgers

Heisman
Sep 11, 2006
123,974
19,586
0
We played Vedral DEEEP into those early victories.... why? We just saw what Snyder could do. Why didn't we get to see that earlier? Why didn't we get to see that to start the 2nd half?

I think if we can get the answers to those questions we might find out why it seems we only have one QB and will live of die with him.
 

Colbert17!

Heisman
Aug 30, 2014
17,492
18,949
113
Heard someone once say that every American man thinks that he can do two things.

1. Coach sports
2. Grill
 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,110
89,266
113
Rutgers, always a backup QB away from a national championship. So frustrating.
Not a single post in this thread intimated such a scenario. The general theme is why wouldn't a backup QB get more meaningful reps early in the game when the starting QB has clear limitations and is struggling in a game, especially when one has demonstrated ability on multiple occasions.
 

willisneverrana43

All-American
Jul 26, 2001
11,065
7,046
113
I’ll agree with you on that. But you should agree with me on my point, which is that barely has a time existed when there isn’t a thread on this board about the backup quarterback. The biggest rooting cliche of all is ever present here. I’m not saying that Vedral doesn’t have drawbacks. He’s got several, some big. But I’ll defer to the coaches on whether the ever-changing guy (of whom they’ve seen only glimpses) that fans on this board want to take-over the job should actually take-over the job. And I don’t accept “well just try something” as an answer.
 

zappaa

Heisman
Jul 27, 2001
75,691
92,781
103
I’ll agree with you on that. But you should agree with me on my point, which is that barely has a time existed when there isn’t a thread on this board about the backup quarterback. The biggest rooting cliche of all is ever present here. I’m not saying that Vedral doesn’t have drawbacks. He’s got several, some big. But I’ll defer to the coaches on whether the ever-changing guy (of whom they’ve seen only glimpses) that fans on this board want to take-over the job should actually take-over the job. And I don’t accept “well just try something” as an answer.
Nine times out of ten, when the back up gets a chance to play against a first team defense, early or when the outcome hasn’t been decided.
We all see why the back up is the back up

It’s a real shame because we can’t run a real offense around here.
Just think how much you’d love to have the Temple QB…yup, the same one we pummeled.
 
Last edited:

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,110
89,266
113
I’ll agree with you on that. But you should agree with me on my point, which is that barely has a time existed when there isn’t a thread on this board about the backup quarterback. The biggest rooting cliche of all is ever present here. I’m not saying that Vedral doesn’t have drawbacks. He’s got several, some big. But I’ll defer to the coaches on whether the ever-changing guy (of whom they’ve seen only glimpses) that fans on this board want to take-over the job should actually take-over the job. And I don’t accept “well just try something” as an answer.
Don't have time to look up each case, but willing to bet this is a common theme for all teams.
Wisconsin fans are questioning Mertz.
Illinois fans have to be questioning Peters.

This has not been the year of great QBs in the B1G.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Steve91562

Steve91562

All-American
Oct 23, 2007
6,219
9,227
77
I live Schiano (no homo) but he has a clear history of mismanaging the QB position. Vedral is a good kid and a good game manager but he cannot make the throws that enable this offense to keep a defense honest. I cannot believe we don’t have several pick sixes by now. Its too easy.
Honestly, the QB is probably the OC's call. Snyder has better physical tools, Vedral had a bad day (really bad), but Snyder played when Ohio St. foot was clearly off the accelerator. Ha, ha, the game was over in like ten minutes. Someone wrote that Teel as a commentator mentioned (the famous double hearsay) that Snyder's passes were one read options. Still ... there is the eyeball test, and given RU's history of QB mismanagement ...
 

willisneverrana43

All-American
Jul 26, 2001
11,065
7,046
113
Don't have time to look up each case, but willing to bet this is a common theme for all teams.
Wisconsin fans are questioning Mertz.
Illinois fans have to be questioning Peters.

This has not been the year of great QBs in the B1G.
Yes, we agree that it's the thing that lots and lots of fan bases do. Here, we've got a guy who in his career has thrown for 20 something yards and run for maybe 1, and fans on message boards believe that the coach should play him instead. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Now, if Schiano and Gleeson, after seeing the kid in practice and/or the position room, decide to start Evan Snyder Simon Cole, OK. They have a better basis to make that decision than the internet. And I know that coaches get things wrong, but it's hard not to chuckle when fans think 5 passes in a blowout make them right. Schiano and Gleeson have consistently moved other players up the depth chart based principally on practice performance, most recently on the OLine. So I'll credit that rather than the incessant internet hum of fans calling for the latest backup QB.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mildone_rivals

yesrutgers01

Heisman
Nov 9, 2008
122,815
38,630
113
2nd string and first string mix most likely.

I doubt they travel with their 3rd string defense.

Visiting teams can't bring their entire team on away games.

Snyder had better throwing mechanics and velocity on his balls and accuracy than Vedral has shown all season.

He is slower than Vedral so would be more of a liability when asked to run though, but not by much when you factor in Vedral's passing ability.
Curious on this travel. When my son RS’d in 05, he traveled to all the away games.
 

HeavenUniv.

Heisman
Sep 21, 2004
135,536
16,405
0
Why do you think coaches are so perfect? There's a reason a bunch of them get fired every year. And as much as I like Greg , he has too from his last 2 gigs before 2.0.
Didn’t he leave the Patriots on his own?
 

Knight Shift

Heisman
May 19, 2011
91,110
89,266
113
Yes, we agree that it's the thing that lots and lots of fan bases do. Here, we've got a guy who in his career has thrown for 20 something yards and run for maybe 1, and fans on message boards believe that the coach should play him instead. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Now, if Schiano and Gleeson, after seeing the kid in practice and/or the position room, decide to start Evan Snyder Simon Cole, OK. They have a better basis to make that decision than the internet. And I know that coaches get things wrong, but it's hard not to chuckle when fans think 5 passes in a blowout make them right. Schiano and Gleeson have consistently moved other players up the depth chart based principally on practice performance, most recently on the OLine. So I'll credit that rather than the incessant internet hum of fans calling for the latest backup QB.
Got it, but what some here (and me) are advocating is to maybe pull the plug earlier on Vedral in a game where he is struggling and the game is out of hand. The OP said: "I'd like to see the coaches use Snyder more and add him to the mix"

Snyder's stats are better than 20 something yards :

Cole Snyder 2021:
Passing: 9/10, 63 yards, 1TD
Career:
Passing: 12/13, 100 yds, 1 TD

Not sure anyone said Snyder or Simon should start. That is all. Will give Vedral a lot of credit--he gained some yards on a few punishing runs. He certainly reads the defense very well.

You may remember that Chas Dodd was forced into action in 2010 in the Tulane game and did OK after Savage was injured, but then he took over the starting job.

Anyway, maybe we are just picking nits.

 

willisneverrana43

All-American
Jul 26, 2001
11,065
7,046
113
Got it, but what some here (and me) are advocating is to maybe pull the plug earlier on Vedral in a game where he is struggling and the game is out of hand. The OP said: "I'd like to see the coaches use Snyder more and add him to the mix"

Snyder's stats are better than 20 something yards :

Cole Snyder 2021:
Passing: 9/10, 63 yards, 1TD
Career:
Passing: 12/13, 100 yds, 1 TD

Not sure anyone said Snyder or Simon should start. That is all. Will give Vedral a lot of credit--he gained some yards on a few punishing runs. He certainly reads the defense very well.

You may remember that Chas Dodd was forced into action in 2010 in the Tulane game and did OK after Savage was injured, but then he took over the starting job.

Anyway, maybe we are just picking nits.

This is usually the retreat position for those who push for the backup QB. OK, so don’t start him but just play him more. But it’s really just the same argument, an argument to get to see the guy he hasn’t seen much and thinks is better. You never hear these fans make the same argument about all the other positions. It’s always the fixation on the QB. So now the fan knows more about the proper balance between continuity of the offensive personnel and getting the backups work in an actual game. Of course, these same fans in some different argument will claim that a group playing together for a long time creates long-term benefits. But here, that isn’t so important. Why? Same reason as always. The backup QB syndrome.

But, unlike the fans, the coaches get to see these players all the time in practice. They promote some of them based on that, and not others. Right now, Cole Evan Snyder Simon is among the not others. So be it.

The ultimate problem may be that we don’t yet have better personnel, or that the better personnel may not be ready yet. Or maybe Snyder Evan Cole Simon isn’t quite ready yet, or Vedral has been good enough against anyone but OSU. And maybe the backup will get a shot later this year, maybe even sooner this year.

But these coaches have already been promoting players based on practice performances and have openly stated that they want to improve the roster to compete in B1G games. So I’ll take that decision making process on starters and playing time over the ever-present backup QB complaints from the internet.
 
The Knight Report

Latest

  1. 01 The Knight Report How to watch Rutgers / Indiana; Pregame Info, Spread, More: Gameday Central
  2. 02 The Knight Report Join The Knight Report TODAY and get it for 60% off!
  3. 03 On3 Football How to Watch College Football: TV schedule, start times, streaming info for Week 5 games
  4. 04 The Knight Report Rutgers Football Friday Injury Report: Latest Updates ahead of the Indiana game
  5. 05 The Knight Report Staff Predictions for Rutgers Football versus Indiana