College Majors

Interdisciplinary Studies Degree for Non-athletes

• Yes, I have one.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • No, I don't have one, but I know a feller.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Nope, never seen one in the wild.

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • A sphincter says what?

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I was looking up Will Rogers major at State and noticed it was the proverbial "Interdisciplinary Studies." I was wondering if anyone on the board has that degree or has come across any non athlete with that major.

When interviewing for a job and they ask what you majored in, do you just answer "stuff?"***

Too lazy to look it up, but if I remember isn't kind of build a bear workshop for a college degree? You just pick a few areas and make your own major? I always think of it as having a bad stigma, but looking back at my career if I could do it all again I would have benefited by taking about 18 hours each of Accounting, Civil Engineering, and some kind Project Management.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
There was something like that that was three minors. When I switched out of engineering, I thought about it because it sounded easy/fun, but I’m glad I didn’t. I don’t remember if stuff like Accounting and Engineering were available in it, but they might have been.

I took three accounting classes, though, and they’ve been very valuable.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
There's a rather famous old name from this board who never went more than a year in any major his 5 years at state. I *think* he has some sort of general degree because he absolutely killed in any class he was in, just didn't have the attention span.

Other than that, not seen anything in the wild. Of course, I think most people just say they graduated and don't say more.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Hey some of them have kinesiology degrees. Very useful in personal training and travel ball coaching***

Though might still be better to have a business degree - at least learn how to budget and turn a profit.

Reactions: 85Bears

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Looks like a buffet-style (something that would appeal to a lot of folks here) program.

Choose two or three of the following:

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
I know a guy who got his degree in this. If I am remembering right, it allowed you to graduate with a lower GPA than a business degree -- maybe with a 2.25 vs a 2.5 -- which is what led some people to change their major to this later in their college career. It certainly was never viewed as a way to get exposure to both engineering and accounting....

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I have a buddy who has his degree in this. He was on that 10 year graduation plan. In reality I think it took him about 12 years to complete his degree. A few breaks in there to work and attend other institutions. Some of those breaks were not by choice as his grades didn't allow him to continue. I think if I remember correctly he has credit from 2 or 3 jucos, Delta State, and State. Ultimately he did end up graduating from State.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I have a buddy who has his degree in this. He was on that 10 year graduation plan. In reality I think it took him about 12 years to complete his degree. A few breaks in there to work and attend other institutions. Some of those breaks were not by choice as his grades didn't allow him to continue. I think if I remember correctly he has credit from 2 or 3 jucos, Delta State, and State. Ultimately he did end up graduating from State.
And has he been able to make a decent living/career?

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I would have benefited by taking about 18 hours each of Accounting, Civil Engineering, and some kind Project Management.
What you’re describing here is basically a Management of Construction and Land Development degree. It’s kind of half business, half engineering. One of my best friends graduated with this degree and he earns a nice living as a project manager for a pipeline company.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Yes, I believe so. He works in sales, owns his own home, has a family, etc. They seem to live comfortably. We're not as close as we once were. Families, jobs, and I haven't lived in MS since 2010. So, based on the couple of times of year we talk and social media he seems to be doing well.
I suspected/hoped so.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I know a guy who got his degree in this. If I am remembering right, it allowed you to graduate with a lower GPA than a business degree -- maybe with a 2.25 vs a 2.5 -- which is what led some people to change their major to this later in their college career. It certainly was never viewed as a way to get exposure to both engineering and accounting....
Says on the website you can graduate with a 2.0.

It’s an academic participation trophy for athletes and anyone who just wants to party for 4-5 years. Nothing more.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I have a history degree. Not math, not spelling and definitely not grammar.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
What kind of coursework is actually on an interdisciplinary studies major's transcript after 4 years?

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

It’s an academic participation trophy for athletes and anyone who just wants to party for 4-5 years. Nothing more.

Doesn't that sort of dilute the degrees that most of us had to work hard for to earn? Or is it just something everybody knows was for athletes?

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
I know someone who has that with a concentration in Biology and Kinesiology. Lets you get into a bachelor's of nursing program without doing the associates route

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I was looking up Will Rogers major at State and noticed it was the proverbial "Interdisciplinary Studies." I was wondering if anyone on the board has that degree or has come across any non athlete with that major.

When interviewing for a job and they ask what you majored in, do you just answer "stuff?"***
I got one because I already had enough for a Marketing degree and could take a handful of classes to get Communications added on.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have done college totally differently and gotten a different major, but thats mostly because I went to MSU for the golf program that gives you a marketing degree and I dont play golf, much less teach and run a course.

My first job required a college degree and I have no idea why. It really didnt matter what the 17 you majored in- it was account management and solutions building, so it just required you to be creative, resourceful, and plan thru the steps of projects large and small.
No degree was really needed to be successful.

My current job, that I got a couple year ago, also requires a degree. I told them I have a combined Marketing and Communications degree, then talked about all the reasons why I would 17ing dominate at the job. At this point in life, if someone leading a job interview actually weighs my degree over experience, I dont want to work for them(based on what I do for work).

Interdisciplinary Studies is definitely a silly sounding degree. But I actually did more to get it than I otherwise had to do for a Marketing degree. I view it as a Marketing major and Communications minor.
To be clear though, I view a Marketing degree from the early 00s to be about the most worthless degree that has ever existed. With tech and how business and advertising has changed, what was learned was largely out of date/worthless within 2 year post college. The business classes were valuable for living and succeeding in life, but the marketing stuff? Nah.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
My understanding is Interdisciplinary Studies was originally developed for the 6th-year senior who put in (some) work and money and needed a shingle. Now it's mostly just a mechanism to check boxes for amateurism and student-athletes, with the help of universities, get to exploit its existence.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
While it earned a reputation as the "professional student" degree back in the 80' and 90s, my experience has been nonathletes seeking an interdisciplinary degree tend to be very high performers at the undergraduate level. Often they have a particular vocational goal in mind that benefits from some mix of disciplines - e.g. I had a student who focused on art, neuroscience, and biochem courses because they wanted to do research on the physiology of creativity- currently finishing her Ph.D.
Most of the time that can be accomplished with a double major or a major/minor combination, but if it is more than two disciplines, and you're trying to finish in 4 years, the interdisciplinary major can be a good option.

For athletes, it is often the only degree that can be reasonably accomplished in a 4 year span. Most science labs are 3 contact hours, and don't mix well with the practice and travel schedule of a D1 athlete. Interdisciplinary studies can allow a lot more flexibility in scheduling (and avoidance of some of the most demanding upper-division classes), so the student can actually finish the degree in schedule.

Finally, these degrees have had to be significantly reworked at most institutions in the last couple of years. The Obama admin went after Fed loan abuse with a vengeance. One rule that has finally been implemented after much delay is that anyone with a Fed student loan must have at least 12 hours a semester that are requirements for their degree program, and no, you can't just take a random mismatch of classes and claim an interdisciplinary degree.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yes, I believe so. He works in sales, owns his own home, has a family, etc. They seem to live comfortably. We're not as close as we once were. Families, jobs, and I haven't lived in MS since 2010. So, based on the couple of times of year we talk and social media he seems to be doing well.
That guy is my hero.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
For athletes, it is often the only degree that can be reasonably accomplished in a 4 year span. Most science labs are 3 contact hours, and don't mix well with the practice and travel schedule of a D1 athlete. Interdisciplinary studies can allow a lot more flexibility in scheduling (and avoidance of some of the most demanding upper-division classes), so the student can actually finish the degree in schedule.
Best sentence of an underrated paragraph.

What 2-3 programs would you recommend taking for an interdisciplinary degree?

Geosciences and General Business looks intriguing.

Looks like a buffet-style (something that would appeal to a lot of folks here) program.

Choose two or three of the following:

Reactions: Spotdawg
Aug 22, 2012
I know a former athlete that went that route to an Interdisciplinary studies degree. I think his main emphasis was Marketing.

I got the equivalent in a Business Administration degree. 18 hours in upper level Finance and then 15 in upper level Management with a minor in Economics. I took the pre business route through the Engineering college so I have a lot of hours.

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
Best sentence of an underrated paragraph.

It's very difficult to describe the amount of time and energy spent when your sport is in season. Football athletes practice practically year-round, and Basketball and Baseball athletes travel continuously. A classroom seems foreign after a while.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012

The average person changes careers about 6 times over the course of their working life. Not change jobs (the college educated male does that on average 12 times over their working life), change careers. So I tend to advise skill development over job training.

The so called "soft-skills" are the ones employers actually rank as most valuable for advancement - communication, critical thinking, leadership, teamwork, time management, work ethic, attitude. These are skills a student can develop if they're challenged and the prof sets high expectations, so that's how I approach things.

I teach a neuroscience course that undergrads ***** about endlessly when they're in it, but I hit every almost every one of those skills, and they tend to appreciate it after the fact (if they pass anyway). Want to develop time management and a healthy work ethic? Know you're going to have to recite 32 spinal nerves and 12 cranial nerves for the next exam. Want to work on your business communication? Take a class that requires you to research a complex topic and present it to the class in 5 minutes, and it counts for 1/3 of your grade.

Geosciences and business would be a great major/minor or double major I'd think because that student would get a mix of challenges - physical sciences, probably bench and field lab work, a good bit of math and stats in both, probably a communication course or two, etc. They'd also have been exposed to faculty and students with a wide set of interests, so I'd guess they would come out the other end with the ability to integrate and adapt to a variety of professional contexts.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Doesn't that sort of dilute the degrees that most of us had to work hard for to earn?
I definitely don't view my degree as having cheapened the degree of others at MSU.

I also don't view my degree as an academic participation trophy, at least I don't view it as that any more than I would view multiple other degrees I could have gotten ay MSU.

I spent much of college in a drunken stupor, but even then I still very clearly remember peers after all these years.
It isnt my degree that cheapens the degree of other MSU grads.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The average person changes careers about 6 times over the course of their working life. Not change jobs (the college educated male does that on average 12 times over their working life), change careers. So I tend to advise skill development over job training.

The so called "soft-skills" are the ones employers actually rank as most valuable for advancement - communication, critical thinking, leadership, teamwork, time management, work ethic, attitude. These are skills a student can develop if they're challenged and the prof sets high expectations, so that's how I approach things.

Agreed. Second paragraph especially.

Workforce training is good but people have to have critical thinking skills to apply what they learn.

I teach a neuroscience course that undergrads ***** about endlessly when they're in it, but I hit every almost every one of those skills, and they tend to appreciate it after the fact (if they pass anyway). Want to develop time management and a healthy work ethic? Know you're going to have to recite 32 spinal nerves and 12 cranial nerves for the next exam. Want to work on your business communication? Take a class that requires you to research a complex topic and present it to the class in 5 minutes, and it counts for 1/3 of your grade.

Sounds like a winner. I’ve dealt with undergrads and talk constantly about the importance of research and proper planning (yeah— you can do things at the last minute— but that ain’t great time management).

Geosciences and business would be a great major/minor or double major I'd think because that student would get a mix of challenges - physical sciences, probably bench and field lab work, a good bit of math and stats in both, probably a communication course or two, etc. They'd also have been exposed to faculty and students with a wide set of interests, so I'd guess they would come out the other end with the ability to integrate and adapt to a variety of professional contexts.

Yeah. That probably would have been good for me.

I kind of steered away from anything oil related because the local exploration economy had cratered in the early-mid 80s.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I'm waiting on there to be a muscle engineering degree at State soon.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
For me personally, I didn’t need some fancy ivory tower university to be educated. I got my knowledge from the streets. I graduated from the School of Hard Knocks. Went on to get my PHD (playa hater degree).

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I know someone who has that with a concentration in Biology and Kinesiology. Lets you get into a bachelor's of nursing program without doing the associates route
Pretty much what my niece did. She went to MSU for 2-3 years and took everything she could there then transferred to Brightwell/Wellbridge/"THE W" and got her nursing/RN degree. Then w/ her MSU hours plus her nursing hours MSU awarded her an Interdisciplinary Studies degree w/ emphasis on health care or something like that. It was more of a pride thing for her I think because her parents and siblings all had MSU degrees

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

That explains a lot about the recent “improvements” in athlete graduation rates. As I learned years ago from an accountant, people can make numbers look however they want them to look with a little behind the scenes magic

I’ll always love the college game, but there is so much about it that is absolutely sickening