OT: So would you fly on a Boeing plane these days?

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Headed to Memphis this summer for a church function. I am thinking about not flying Southwest, and booking with American Airlines because they use all Boeing planes, even though I have lots of points stored up on Southwest. Of course, I do realize that the likelihood of being murdered in Memphis is probably more likely than being on a plane crash on a Boeing plane. Still, there is that whole thing of recent whistleblowers suddenly dying.

I know one thing. I'm not staying at a Days Inn with this pesky little ad popping up.

Reactions: MSUGUY

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Headed to Memphis this summer for a church function. I am thinking about not flying Southwest, and booking with American Airlines because they use all Boeing planes, even though I have lots of points stored up on Southwest. Of course, I do realize that the likelihood of being murdered in Memphis is probably more likely than being on a plane crash on a Boeing plane. Still, there is that whole thing of recent whistleblowers suddenly dying.

I know one thing. I'm not staying at a Days Inn with this pesky little ad popping up.
Just pray about it. Have faith.

fredgarvin

Jun 26, 2010

Over 40% of American's narrowbody fleet is the 737. You're not any less safe flying Southwest.

Reactions: patdog

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

You're more likely to drown in a sink-hair-washing incident than perish on a Boeing plane operated by Southwest/American/etc.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
You’re more likely to find a signed blank check in the collection plate than being injured on a commercial airplane. The media is just sensationalizing Boeings issues for clicks.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I don't think most folks realize just how safe flying commercially has become. The last crash by a major American airline was November 2001 (not a typo).

Can you image the shtstorm and public outcry today if airlines were crashing jets and props at the rate they were back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s.
But to answer the original question, I’m on flight to somewhere about every month which is not that much compared to some frequent flyers but the Max 8 and 9 do make me a little nervous.
But I don’t like the CRJ’s or Embraer much better so I’ll take me chances and if it’s my time to go, well, it was a good ride.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Can you image the shtstorm and public outcry today if airlines were crashing jets and props at the rate they were back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s.
But to answer the original question, I’m on flight to somewhere about every month which is not that much compared to some frequent flyers but the Max 8 and 9 do make me a little nervous.
But I don’t like the CRJ’s or Embraer much better so I’ll take me chances and if it’s my time to go, well, it was a good ride.
FAA is great about safety, no doubt.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’ll be flying Boeing 3 of 4 legs of my trip next month. Most dangerous part of the trip will be driving to the airport.
Americans apparently don’t like logic. I’ve got 3 flights coming up in the next month, I don’t even remember who I booked with. It literally doesn’t matter.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've gotten to where I don't fly unless it's absolutely necessary. Not because of safety but because of the damn delays and cancellations, there's a shortage of all staff and they can't replace them all according to a SW pilot I know. Then there's also the take your hat belt and shoes off and put em back on, turn your phone laptop and tablet off and on, empty your pockets, come stand over here and twirl around the xray machine, blah blah blah. I went to a meeting 3 weeks ago and 6 flights were cancelled on Thursday night before they were to take off Friday. They blamed it on rain the day before on Wednesday and couldn't get them all home till Saturday. Thank goodness I had driven to that one. 17'em

Last edited:
Reactions: dorndawg and patdog

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Americans apparently don’t like logic. I’ve got 3 flights coming up in the next month, I don’t even remember who I booked with. It literally doesn’t matter.
Well it kinda does.
The big boys, Delta, American, United and SWest are all top notch in safety and customer service.
I don’t fly Spirit or Frontier and won’t - ever.
Allegiant may be pretty good (never flown them) and if you’re worried about Boeing jets, they only use Airbus.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I've gotten to where I don't fly unless it's absolutely necessary. Not because of safety but because of the damn delays and cancellations, there's a shortage of all staff and they can't replace them all according to a SW pilot I know. Then there's also the take your hat belt and shoes off and put em back on, turn your phone laptop and tablet off and on, empty your pockets, come stand over here and twirl around the xray machine, blah blah blah. I went to a meeting 3 weeks ago and 6 flights were cancelled on Thursday night before they were to take off Friday. They blamed it on rain r day before on Wednesday and couldn't get them all home till Saturday. Thank goodness I had driven to that one. 17'em
Totally agree. Next month will only be my 2nd flight since Covid. For all the reasons you mentioned.

Reactions: Spotdawg

patdog

May 28, 2007

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I’ll be flying Boeing 3 of 4 legs of my trip next month. Most dangerous part of the trip will be driving to the airport.
Second dangerous part is the landing. I was flying into Richmond Virgina a few years back, I was watching out the window, the shadow of the wheels, right before the wheels touching the plane took back off. My first thought was the wheels did not lock. I got a little worried. Then the pilot came on the speaker and said the plane that landed in front of our plane stop at the end of the runway and he did not think it would get out of the way, so he took back. Most accidents are pilot or airport mistakes. That could have ended bad. The landing always worries me. Take off and the flying does not.

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
Second dangerous part is the landing. I was flying into Richmond Virgina a few years back, I was watching out the window, the shadow of the wheels, right before the wheels touching the plane took back off. My first thought was the wheels did not lock. I got a little worried. Then the pilot came on the speaker and said the plane that landed in front of our plane stop at the end of the runway and he did not think it would get out of the way, so he took back. Most accidents are pilot or airport mistakes. That could have ended bad. The landing always worries me. Take off and the flying does not.
Take off is the most dangerous portion of any airplane flight.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Go arounds are free

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Which one has the plane where the door flies off? I want the exit row right behind it. That'll be the first flight where I don't get too hot and feel claustrophobic.

Reactions: dorndawg

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
On April 14th, while trying to land in Houston, the pilot touched down and immediately gunned it and took back off. It was a pretty unsettling several minutes while we circled around and landed safely on the second attempt. The pilot stated that the tower asked him to circle around again, but I’m pretty certain he missed his mark and was going to run out of runway if he had tried to land the first time. It seemed we hovered over the runway without touching down longer than normal that first attempt.

I’ve come to really not like flying. I used to enjoy it.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
If you die in plane crash, it most definitely was not a good ride.

But I get what you mean.

Reactions: dorndawg

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I've gotten to where I don't fly unless it's absolutely necessary. Not because of safety but because of the damn delays and cancellations, there's a shortage of all staff and they can't replace them all according to a SW pilot I know. Then there's also the take your hat belt and shoes off and put em back on, turn your phone laptop and tablet off and on, empty your pockets, come stand over here and twirl around the xray machine, blah blah blah. I went to a meeting 3 weeks ago and 6 flights were cancelled on Thursday night before they were to take off Friday. They blamed it on rain the day before on Wednesday and couldn't get them all home till Saturday. Thank goodness I had driven to that one. 17'em
Im Not flying again unless I have to. Getting through the airport is the main reason.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
If yall knew how close of a margin commercial aircraft operate in between critical Mach and a high speed stall, getting through the airport wouldn’t be a concern. However, if you take a look at the volume of aircraft perpetually operating in the national airspace and compare that to the number of times you hear about it on the news….it wouldn’t be a concern.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
On April 14th, while trying to land in Houston, the pilot touched down and immediately gunned it and took back off. It was a pretty unsettling several minutes while we circled around and landed safely on the second attempt. The pilot stated that the tower asked him to circle around again, but I’m pretty certain he missed his mark and was going to run out of runway if he had tried to land the first time. It seemed we hovered over the runway without touching down longer than normal that first attempt.

I’ve come to really not like flying. I used to enjoy it.
I did a touch and go flying into Portland Maine at night in a pea soup fog. That go around was unnerving to say the least. Definitely a sphincter tightening adventure.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Oops......next

From the article: "Drop your belongings, unbuckle, and head to the exits," is all that one passenger, Ashwin Menon, remembered hearing. Did she strip nakked and slide down the chute? Pics if so (if worthy, of course).

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Flying commercially is the safest way to travel effectively and it’s not close. Cars, boats, trains, motorcycles, private planes are all less efficient and/or less safe.
But traveling always brings risk and annoyances. Airports can be more annoying than all the others but even with delays are way safer.

I set my limits on traveling on my willingness to drive and my bank account. As my $$$ have grown and I age, I travel less but fly when it gets of any distance as money is less an issue and I am not paying for a family to fly.

Anyone chooses driving long distances over flying for safety reasons even in a Boeing are ignoring the facts. They may feel in control or more comfortable while driving but are way more likely to die doing so and often not anything they could have done to prevent an idiot from running over them.

Reactions: dog12

fang

Nov 29, 2010

I wouldn't (don't) have a problem with the older 737's, newer ones..........

Reactions: preacher_dawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

You are really struggling with this pre-destination thing!*** Seriously, I'm flying Southwest late this month. If I don't post ever again starting in June, I recommend you find an alternative.

• Haha

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
To all you guys that refuse to fly unless you have to, do you ever go on trips that are more than 1000 miles from your home? If so, then do you drive your car that distance? Or do you fly "because you have to?"

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
As my prospects don't look good right now for taking a big ole jet plane to anywhere (family health issues) anytime soon, I would love to hop on a Boeing or an Airbus, or whatever, to anywhere right now. That being said it's not unexpected and it is what it is. Life goes on, and we all have our duty that we are obligated to, and we would do purely for love if we weren't obligated to. If you don't agree with THAT......... well........

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Forget about which airline to fly...it's delays that mess up plans the fastest. And delays plague all airlines these days. Iberia (Spain) is the worst about delays.