Continued GARBAGE OOC scheduling from Penn State (& James Franklin)

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
And in subsequent years, OSU has Texas, Alabama, and UGa. PSU has who?
That was not my point. But in the future PSU doesn't have anyone one the schedule.
The speed in which conferences (and CFB) are changing I'm not sure games scheduled 2 or more years out will even take place. There is a chance some modifications will take place.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
That was not my point. But in the future PSU doesn't have anyone one the schedule.
The speed in which conferences (and CFB) are changing I'm not sure games scheduled 2 or more years out will even take place. There is a chance some modifications will take place.
They'll be played. Some teams have a goal of winning the national championship, not simply making the playoff.

Reactions: Ironman2

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
They'll be played. Some teams have a goal of winning the national championship, not simply making the playoff.
I think it could be possible that only the B1G and SEC are completing with each other. (Maybe new teams will be added or other changes) This will basically be a new league. Maybe 50 (or less) teams total.

The others will complete at a different level.

Reactions: LionJim and LB99

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I think it could be possible that only the B1G and SEC are completing with each other. (Maybe new teams will be added or other changes) This will basically be a new league. Maybe 50 (or less) teams total.

The others will complete at a different level.
There are 67 teams in the P4. Sankey and Pettiti have already been disabused of the notion that they're calling the shots.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
There are 67 teams in the P4. Sankey and Pettiti have already been disabused of the notion that they're calling the shots.
I don't think all 67 teams will survive at the highest level.
I also think schools in the SEC and B1G will be some of those that do not survive.
This is now all about money. Every team that plays will have to justify their taking of their share of revenue. Is the TV (streaming) contract positively impacted by Maryland, Rutger, Miss St. and Vandy playing? If not, why share revenue?
I am guessing in the ACC teams like Pitt (sob), GT, Cuse, BC are not bringing eyes to TV. Why share revenue?
In the Big12 teams like CenFL, IowaSt, Kansas, Cincinnati are the same. Why share revenue?
I'm sure I missed some teams.
The long term revenue brought by the teams is going to have to be greater than the long term revenue share. Otherwise the teams that are bringing in the revenue are not going to want to share it. Why partner with someone for equal share that does not provide equal value?
You are correct that the TV broadcasts are calling the shots, not the commissioners. Soon the Presidents (and ADs) of the Universities will be wanting to know how they are going to pay for their athletic departments. If the pie cannot increase, but the number of slices can decrease the less profitable teams will be cut out.

I think this is where CFB is going (I hope I am wrong).

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I also think schools in the SEC and B1G will be some of those that do not survive.
This is now all about money. Every team that plays will have to justify their taking of their share of revenue. Is the TV (streaming) contract positively impacted by Maryland, Rutger, Miss St. and Vandy playing? If not, why share revenue?
I am guessing in the ACC teams like Pitt (sob), GT, Cuse, BC are not bringing eyes to TV. Why share revenue?
In the Big12 teams like CenFL, IowaSt, Kansas, Cincinnati are the same. Why share revenue?
The long term revenue brought by the teams is going to have to be greater than the long term revenue share. Otherwise the teams that are bringing in the revenue are not going to want to share it. Why partner with someone for equal share that does not provide equal value?
You are correct that the TV broadcasts are calling the shots, not the commissioners. Soon the Presidents (and ADs) of the Universities will be wanting to know how they are going to pay for their athletic departments. If the pie cannot increase, but the number of slices can decrease the less profitable teams will be cut out.

Except they are all locked into conference agreements. Harder to expel a member than for one to leave of it's own volition (see Maryland. Clemson, FSU).

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Except they are all locked into conference agreements. Harder to expel a member than for one to leave of it's own volition (see Maryland. Clemson, FSU).
Harder is not impossible.
Money talks agreements can be broken, negotiated away, etc.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Harder is not impossible.
Money talks agreements can be broken, negotiated away, etc.
If the guys running the conferences want to wake up with lawsuits streaming out of their asses, s'il vous plait.

Lawyer for Vanderbilt: Mr. Sankey, you maintain that Vanderbilt was expelled from your conference because it doesn't bring enough revenue. Prove it. BTW, where in the SEC's bylaws does it state that not bringing in money is grounds for expulsion?

If you think that the boys from Vandy don't have the resolve or money to take on the SEC for like forever, you've picked a fight with the wrong dog. And they'd be more than happy to inv ite another one or two schools along just for the ride.

Here's another perspective. How do you think the president of a school on the kicking side would enjoy getting tarred and feathered in the media on a regular basis for what he or she is doing to "higher education?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Monty2007

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
If the guys running the conferences want to wake up with lawsuits streaming out of their asses, s'il vous plait.

Lawyer for Vanderbilt: Mr. Sankey, you maintain that Vanderbilt was expelled from your conference because it doesn't bring enough revenue. Prove it. BTW, where in the SEC's bylaws does it state that not bringing in money is grounds for expulsion?

If you think that the boys from Vandy don't have the resolve or money to take on the SEC for like forever, you've picked a fight with the wrong dog. And they'd be more than happy to inv ite another one or two schools along just for the ride.

Here's another perspective. How do you think the president of a school on the kicking side would enjoy getting tarred and feathered in the media on a regular basis for what he or she is doing to "higher education?"
What if the "big guys" just leave a la Pac12? Sure the B1G will have Rutger and Maryland and some others. Good luck with the next TV contract negotiations with the CW.
Lawyer from Vanderbilt: Mr. Sankey, thank you for being the commissioner for the SEC, whose remembers are Vanderbilt and... yep just Vanderbilt. I sure hope you, Mr. Sankey do not get hired by that new conference called the College Football Premier League or whatever they are calling themselves. We would hate to lose you.

The cost of the lawsuits is part of the calculus.

The tarred and feathered part is probably the only reason this has not already happened. It really didn't impact the PAC12 presidents at all.

"Education" will have little to nothing to do with it. Somewhat like it does now, but worse. The presidents will be laughing on their way to cash the checks. Except for the Vanderbilt-types which will be looking like someone who got stood up for the prom.

It's great that you don't think anything like this will happen, but I think it will (and again, I hope I'm wrong).

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
What if the "big guys" just leave a la Pac12? Sure the B1G will have Rutger and Maryland and some others. Good luck with the next TV contract negotiations with the CW.
Lawyer from Vanderbilt: Mr. Sankey, thank you for being the commissioner for the SEC, whose remembers are Vanderbilt and... yep just Vanderbilt. I sure hope you, Mr. Sankey do not get hired by that new conference called the College Football Premier League or whatever they are calling themselves. We would hate to lose you.

The cost of the lawsuits is part of the calculus.

The tarred and feathered part is probably the only reason this has not already happened. It really didn't impact the PAC12 presidents at all.

"Education" will have little to nothing to do with it. Somewhat like it does now, but worse. The presidents will be laughing on their way to cash the checks. Except for the Vanderbilt-types which will be looking like someone who got stood up for the prom.

It's great that you don't think anything like this will happen, but I think it will (and again, I hope I'm wrong).
Sure, the defectors will leave all of that trademarking and branding behind and the TV guys won't care one iota.

And maybe the president of Ole Miss won't hear it from the governor or state legislature in Jackson.

And maybe the Chancellor of Pitt or the president of GT won't call their counterparts at ACC schools and say something along the lines of, "you know, all of that collaboration done between the faculty of our institutions? Well, we're doing it with someone else."

Last edited:

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Sure, the defectors will leave all of that trademarking and branding behind and the TV guys won't care one iota.

And maybe the president of Ole Miss won't hear it from the governor or state legislature in Jackson.

And maybe the Chancellor of Pitt or the president of GT won't call their counterparts at ACC schools and say something along the lines of, "you know, all of that collaboration done between the faculty of our institutions? Well, we're doing it with someone else."
Yes, all of those things will happen, then they will count the zeros on the contracts and determine if it is worth it. Just Like when it happened in the PAC12.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Yes, all of those things will happen, then they will count the zeros on the contracts and determine if it is worth it. Just Like when it happened in the PAC12.
Schools aren't getting thrown out of conferences. What's more likely is that some leave because they don't want to compete with the pigs anymore.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Schools aren't getting thrown out of conferences. What's more likely is that some leave because they don't want to compete with the pigs anymore.
Or the pigs will form their own conference to stop splitting the pie with the parasites.

To me, there is very little difference between throwing a handful of schools out and leaving a handful of schools with the old conference logo on their jerseys and all the "big guys" playing in their own new league.

Schools leaving because they are not competitive is what happened before. That could happen again, but I think it will be too slow. The "big guys" leaving will be faster.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021

I fear you may be right. The media partners now essentially run the SEC and Big 10. They will flex their influence as hard as possible to drive profit, it's almost like we have VC's running a sport with the sole interest of profit above everything else. That's a travesty considering these athletics programs are attached to institutions of higher learning and in most cases, public universities who's mission should have little to do with profitability. There would be lawsuits as others suggested, but one way to get the conferences to vote out members with a supermajority is to threaten the whole conference with a smaller media deal unless a couple of programs are excluded, essentially a bribe. That may motivate enough big programs to vote out those that don't attract viewers and money, and the schools at risk of getting booted would have little say in the matter if they don't have the votes.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
I see that as less likely when those schools stand to lose tens of millions in annual revenue by leaving. People will put up with a lot of stuff they don't really desire if you pay them a fortune to do it.

BostonNit

Oct 27, 2021
Anyone provide a link to prove that Franklin is responsible for PSU scheduling FIU?
I'm pretty sure the head coach of a major D1 football power is not even at the table when scheduling is done by the administrators. I'm sure the AD just tells him "you'll play what I get you and you'll like it!"

Or maybe I'm wrong and the HC has *direct" input. 🤔

Reactions: PSUFTG2

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
It's bad enough OSU & UM don't want white out games, do you think a Georgia, Oklahoma, or Clemson would agree to it.

Tennessee, never returned the favor, Virginia and Va Tech backed out, Alabama put us on pause, so it's not cut and dry.

Whose left ? Hungry group of 5 school like App. St. can destroy a season the same way a Penn State can ruin a Georgia type
team. Adding a top 5 non conference in my opinion is insane if you want any chance of making the playoffs. The same people
complaining about scheduling will complain about a lower tier NY 6 bowl or worse, and if that's if you make one of those bowls
the sit outs will cost PSU like it did against Ole Miss and Arkansas.

This year a brutal schedule @ WVU, Wisc, USC, and late Nov @ Minn. plus UCLA, UW, Ohio St at home. The voters are never
for PSU ( do your research) and 1 -2 loss teams probably cost another NC or 2.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I see that as less likely when those schools stand to lose tens of millions in annual revenue by leaving. People will put up with a lot of stuff they don't really desire if you pay them a fortune to do it.
Except in most cases none of that revenue benefits the school outside of the athletic department. And there are lots of athletic departments that lose money. So instead of trying and largely failing to compete with the pigs, scale it back to something along the lines of an Ivy League model. Savings of time and the elimination of the corrupting influences just might be worth it.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
It's bad enough OSU & UM don't want white out games, do you think a Georgia, Oklahoma, or Clemson would agree to it.

Tennessee, never returned the favor, Virginia and Va Tech backed out, Alabama put us on pause, so it's not cut and dry.

Whose left ? Hungry group of 5 school like App. St. can destroy a season the same way a Penn State can ruin a Georgia type
team. Adding a top 5 non conference in my opinion is insane if you want any chance of making the playoffs. The same people
complaining about scheduling will complain about a lower tier NY 6 bowl or worse, and if that's if you make one of those bowls

This year a brutal schedule @ WVU, Wisc, USC, and late Nov @ Minn. plus UCLA, UW, Ohio St at home. The voters are never
PSU and UTk haven't had a home-and-home match since the 70s. VaTech had ample reason not to come to PSU. As for UVa backing out? You can thank Uncle fester for that one.

Reactions: Bob78

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
I'm pretty sure the head coach of a major D1 football power is not even at the table when scheduling is done by the administrators. I'm sure the AD just tells him "you'll play what I get you and you'll like it!"

And none of those administrators got any input from the posters on this board! Disgusting!!’

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

Not exactly. AD and HC discuss the kinds of teams both would like to schedule. AD makes inquiries as to what teams are available when. HC gives preferences and the AD takes it from there.

AD communicating and managing the process along lines you outline is soon an unemployed AD.

BostonNit

Oct 27, 2021
Not exactly. AD and HC discuss the kinds of teams both would like to schedule. AD makes inquiries as to what teams are available when. HC gives preferences and the AD takes it from there.

AD communicating and managing the process along lines you outline is soon an unemployed AD.
You need to turn your sarcasm detector on. :)

Reactions: PSUFBFAN

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023

Serious question:
Why, do you think, OSU and Michigan have no trouble setting up h-h with Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama (among others)?

And USC with Ole Miss, ND, and LSU
UCLA with Georgia and LSU
UW with Tennessee - and Oregon with Oklahoma State and Baylor (even though both of those schools are also maintaining "rivalry" games w Oregon State and Washington State)
MSU with ND - Maryland with VaTech and UVA - Nebraska with Colorado, Tennessee, and Oklahoma - Wisconsin with Alabama, ND, Pitt, and Utah - Purdue with ND and UNC?

Probably a rhetorical question, as everyone knows why. It is a deliberate decision to maximize opportunities for "W"s. Penn State is not, certainly, the only program that chooses that option.
Personally, it is of little to no concern for me (so long as folks are willing to continue to write out checks and fill the stadium) - and some folks may love it, others hate it. But it is what it is.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Serious question:
Why, do you think, OSU and Michigan have no trouble setting up h-h with Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama (among others)?

UW with Tennessee - and Oregon with Oklahoma State and Baylor (even though both of those schools are also maintaining "rivalry" games w Oregon State and Washington State)
MSU with ND - Maryland with VaTech and UVA - Nebraska with Colorado, Tennessee, and Oklahoma - Wisconsin with Alabama, ND, Pitt, and Utah - Purdue with ND and UNC?

Probably a rhetorical question, as everyone knows why. It is a deliberate decision to maximize opportunities for "W"s. Penn State is not, certainly, the only program that chooses that option.
Personally, it is of little to no concern for me (so long as folks are willing to continue to write out checks and fill the stadium) - and some folks may love it, others hate it. But it is what it is.
As I noted before, Michigan’s OOC schedule was Charmin soft the last two years and they spent the entire first month of the season at home. All that did was get them to the playoffs and a National Championship, so it didn’t hurt them all that much, did it?

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
As I noted before, Michigan’s OOC schedule was Charmin soft the last two years and they spent the entire first month of the season at home. All that did was get them to the playoffs and a National Championship, so it didn’t hurt them all that much, did it?
Every so often the vagaries of scheduling will result in a cushy OOC like that which Michigan had for the past two seasons. And it would be hard to argue that it didn't help them make the playoffs. On the other hand, soft OOC schedules haven't helped PSU, so other things must be at work.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
With the new conference alignment, schedules don't matter at all- only wins and losses do.

Reactions: LB99

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Every so often the vagaries of scheduling will result in a cushy OOC like that which Michigan had for the past two seasons. And it would be hard to argue that it didn't help them make the playoffs. On the other hand, soft OOC schedules haven't helped PSU, so other things must be at work.
Cheating?

Reactions: OptionBob

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Serious question:

I think the answer to your question is "because they want to get it done."

Reactions: PSUFTG2

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
James Jimmy Harbaugh did.

• Haha
Reactions: Waaaaaaaany

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
We've filled out our 2025 OOC schedule! A 3rd game in addition to playing mighty Nevada and Villanova.

Drum roll, please ............... the 3rd game is against FIU!!!

Over the next 5 years, PSU has 14 OOC games scheduled. Only 3 are against P4 teams, and those games are against WVU and Syracuse.

Ugh. James Franklin (not surprisingly, because he's mostly about self-preservation) does not buy into the philosophical idea of "iron sharpens iron."

Fellas, none of this matters. The BIG and SEC are moving to an NFC-AFC format where all regular season games will be in the "league" with the two conferences culminating in a National Championship game "Super Bowl". In the meantime, JF knsows that if he plans to be with us when that happens he must make the playoffs AND beat the ugly chumps from Columbus and Ann Arbor. The ONLY concession I will make to those two fake champs is that we as Penn State fans have been forced to endure a draught under Franklin we would not have under Paterno. Only the Bear and Saban were able to beat him without his revenge. We have struggled to recover in the Post Sandusky era, and watching us get outcoached the past few years against those chumps has been painful because we all know what losers they know they are.

Reactions: SleepyLion and LB99

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
With the new conference alignment, schedules don't matter at all- only wins and losses do.
So: When the Big Ten gets 3 slots to the post-season, and the #3 and #4 teams are tied with 10-2 records, who gets in?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Fellas, none of this matters. The BIG and SEC are moving to an NFC-AFC format where all regular season games will be in the "league" with the two conferences culminating in a National Championship game "Super Bowl". In the meantime, JF knsows that if he plans to be with us when that happens he must make the playoffs AND beat the ugly chumps from Columbus and Ann Arbor. The ONLY concession I will make to those two fake champs is that we as Penn State fans have been forced to endure a draught under Franklin we would not have under Paterno. Only the Bear and Saban were able to beat him without his revenge. We have struggled to recover in the Post Sandusky era, and watching us get outcoached the past few years against those chumps has been painful because we all know what losers they know they are.
Huh? Paterno was owned by Lloyd Carr and Michigan.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
The one not named Penn State.
Well, likely the one without 3 cupcakes on their OOC, if the other has an OOC slate of three flea bags. Which would be completely righteous, of course.

So, based on current scheduling philosophy, you may be right.