Covid Protocols Changing?

scsuperfan

Aug 24, 2017
Question is why do we have to put up with this shi t?
I agree, but that's a bit of a separate conversation.

If we want to be able to resume certain actives within this state, it seems as if we'll need to put up with it as a certain political faction has decided to use fear as their mechanism for compliance and undercut the value and efficacy of vaccines.

So, that's why were here, unfortunately.

Personally, I have no issue with the unvaccinated doing whatever the hell they want. It's their body and their decision. I had covid and I've had the jab, so I don't much care what choices they make.

But...If I want to go to sporting events (like watching the Dodgers kick the crap out of your Giants) it is something that I'll probably have to put up with - whether I like it or not. And in this state, it's not like we're going to get any politician with enough marbles to challenge it, so we're at where we're at.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Never understood this mentality of using anecdotal experiences to color our collective approach to a pandemic. In this day and age of data, analytics, technology as a whole, folks are still going by "Well, I don't personally know anyone that's died". I never personally knew anyone that died of AIDS in the 80's either, but I and everyone I knew were scared to death of it.

So much talk of SoCal folks flocking to ID in light of changing politics in CA and ID being a sanctuary of political sanity, but perhaps they got it wrong there?

So many are fixated on the political gamesmanship of this (on both sides, but one side worse I feel) that many are caught up more on owning the phrasing ("China/Wuhan" flu) rather than the reality that society will not resume to any normalcy until this situation improves...regardless of your anecdotal take on how severe it is.

This distrust of either "side" will lead to folly and more pain...we just can't seem to learn the lessons of the past...the forest for the trees. Too busy hating, being angry and wanting our side to win. Meanwhile...good luck getting a hospital bed in N. Idaho if something unfortunate were to happen there. Covid doesn't care if you believe in it or what your side is.

Reactions: Tod78

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Never understood this mentality of using anecdotal experiences to color our collective approach to a pandemic. In this day and age of data, analytics, technology as a whole, folks are still going by "Well, I don't personally know anyone that's died". I never personally knew anyone that died of AIDS in the 80's either, but I and everyone I knew were scared to death of it.

So much talk of SoCal folks flocking to ID in light of changing politics in CA and ID being a sanctuary of political sanity, but perhaps they got it wrong there?

So many are fixated on the political gamesmanship of this (on both sides, but one side worse I feel) that many are caught up more on owning the phrasing ("China/Wuhan" flu) rather than the reality that society will not resume to any normalcy until this situation improves...regardless of your anecdotal take on how severe it is.

This distrust of either "side" will lead to folly and more pain...we just can't seem to learn the lessons of the past...the forest for the trees. Too busy hating, being angry and wanting our side to win. Meanwhile...good luck getting a hospital bed in N. Idaho if something unfortunate were to happen there. Covid doesn't care if you believe in it or what your side is.
We’ll probably get control of this right after the cold and flu..

jiordone

Aug 24, 2017
Personally, just lost an Uncle to COVID pneumonia last week who was fully vaccinated, but as a lymphoma survivor immunocompromised.

I suggest anyone who's antivax listen to the stories of like minds at https://www.reddit.com/r/hermancainaward if you want to help reduce the amount of rewards handed out and protect those more at risk like my Uncle was. Stay safe everyone!

Sorry to hear about your Uncle. This seems like another one of the 16,000 reports deaths as a result of the jab. Jab is killing people, yet the MSM hides it away and the gutless doctors out there are afraid to say anything about it.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Sorry to hear about your Uncle. This seems like another one of the 16,000 reports deaths as a result of the jab. Jab is killing people, yet the MSM hides it away and the gutless doctors out there are afraid to say anything about it.
Strange comment, but again, this issue has been so politicized as if it's only our national issue, as if this pandemic is only happening in the US and this is a Dem vs, Conservative issue that we can just take shots at each other and call each other liars. Like this is some Blue vs. Black Lives matter issue.

This is a global issue. If the US docs are lying about the "jab", that means Israeli docs are also lying, German and French docs are in on it too. Russia which has every reason to make this a US problem is also struggling w/ this pandemic. Japan which has no skin in our political game is struggling w/ it also.

If you're gonna throw out this dangerously false conspiracy, at least provide something meaningful to back it up. Otherwise, this goes on the Nikki Minaj "it makes your balls swell" scrapheap of nonsense.

Last edited:

denali15

Aug 28, 2017
I know 2 that passed away. About 4 that ended up in the hospital but were released quickly because they acted quickly in going. In the teens of how many who got it and recovered.

You know why the flu number dropped in 2020, people were masked up, washing hands and staying home when sick. Tons of people got the flu shot since the symptoms are similar.

with that said, everyone stay as safe as you can, Fight On and Beat the Cougars, unless your into cougars. Then do what you do to them! 🤣🤣🤣
My guess is that flu numbers dropped down to zero because every illness is "COVID" now. As you note, the symptoms are similar.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
My guess is that flu numbers dropped down to zero because every illness is "COVID" now. As you note, the symptoms are similar.
Everyone I know (including children away at college), go and get tested if they have flu-like symptoms. If not only to take proper action if it's confirmed, but also to prevent spreading it. For those that are just sent home to convalesce and have no access to testing, I have not read that these cases are automatically categorized as covid. But alas, the cynical will assume it.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Everyone I know (including children away at college), go and get tested if they have flu-like symptoms. If not only to take proper action if it's confirmed, but also to prevent spreading it. For those that are just sent home to convalesce and have no access to testing, I have not read that these cases are automatically categorized as covid. But alas, the cynical will assume it.
Doubt they were categorized as anything, tell you the truth. If they weren’t tested why would they be reported?

Reactions: gubo&palanka

denali15

Aug 28, 2017
So you believe that flu numbers have dropped to zero because we're washing our hands now?

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Doubt they were categorized as anything, tell you the truth. If they weren’t tested why would they be reported?
That's my question. I know these conspiracies have been tossed around a lot to bolster one side's take on the actual severity of the pandemic and to downplay it. If Northern Idaho is now triaging emergency care to basically focus on those that stand a better chance to live, I see no reason to downplay the severity (in some places more than others obviously, but in general). If you have a heart attack in Coeur D' Alene, your main competition for survival is a covid patient.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
So you believe that flu numbers have dropped to zero because we're washing our hands now?
There's my glib Denali, missed you. My guess (since I'm not in that field), is that the medical cmty is not concerned w/ closely tracking flu cases unless an actual flu test has been administered. Due to the pressure covid has placed on the med cmty, flu tests are not prioritized the way they would have been pre-covid. If a sick person goes to doc/clinic for a covid test and it comes back negative, the patient goes home to convalesce...and that's all. In year's past, the doc would have ordered a flu test.

Combined w/ the hand-washing you mention, masking to prevent our transmission of germy mists (not so much to protect oneself), social distancing, working from home, less social events, less world travel and generally more awareness to germs...would bring the flu rate down. Now, as to "zero", sure, there's something else wonky going on there, and my theory is the above.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
That's my question. I know these conspiracies have been tossed around a lot to bolster one side's take on the actual severity of the pandemic and to downplay it. If Northern Idaho is now triaging emergency care to basically focus on those that stand a better chance to live, I see no reason to downplay the severity (in some places more than others obviously, but in general). If you have a heart attack in Coeur D' Alene, your main competition for survival is a covid patient.
Sometimes you just find what you’re looking for. Not sure we’re putting the same resources into finding and fighting the flu as we have in previous years. Same with the common cold. They’re not being reported because they’re being sent home to convalesce on their own.
I just can’t bring myself to worry about those whose philosophy brings them higher risk to health and well-being. But I’ve got to say the older generation in my family, don’t wear masks where not required and mingle, either thru work or socially… they have said that life is for living, and they’ve faced worse.

Reactions: nvargas

scsuperfan

Aug 24, 2017
It's a revelation 13 reference.

There is going to be a huge underground market for COVID certs. I'd be wary of an Apple product in conjunction with record keeping and tracking. They will build a database.

There is a lot of baseball left, but up to this point there has not been a lot of crap kicking out of my Giants by the Dodgers. Anyway good to see you posting again.
Well, of all the companies to choose from to partner with for digital records along these lines, Apple would likely be one of my top choices. I tend to think they take privacy pretty seriously, at least compared to most of the other options - certainly more serious than our political leaders and governmental institutions.

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Been to Hawaii since pandemic. Process sounds very similar except I didn’t have 70k+ trying to board my flight. Hope it won’t be nightmare to get in games.

Reactions: nvargas

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Sometimes you just find what you’re looking for. Not sure we’re putting the same resources into finding and fighting the flu as we have in previous years. Same with the common cold. They’re not being reported because they’re being sent home to convalesce on their own.
I just can’t bring myself to worry about those whose philosophy brings them higher risk to health and well-being. But I’ve got to say the older generation in my family, don’t wear masks where not required and mingle, either thru work or socially… they have said that life is for living, and they’ve faced worse.
I get what those more senior folks are saying and I empathize. For many of them, their time is severely limited and spending the last 2 yrs of their lives confined to their rooms, unable to receive visits and having to wear somewhat restrictive masks is a lot to ask. I wish there were a better way to prevent the spread to their peers that might have had much more time to live and hopefully go back to enjoying life post-covid.

denali15

Aug 28, 2017
I get what those more senior folks are saying and I empathize. For many of them, their time is severely limited and spending the last 2 yrs of their lives confined to their rooms, unable to receive visits and having to wear somewhat restrictive masks is a lot to ask. I wish there were a better way to prevent the spread to their peers that might have had much more time to live and hopefully go back to enjoying life post-covid.

Yes. Imagine not being able to have anyone visit you from the time you enter the hospital to the end of your life. Disgraceful and downright mean. Evil, maybe, to do that to someone.

"Somewhat restrictive" masks might be of minor benefit, but the masks most people wear are useless, or perhaps worse than useless. If you think a cheap paper mask or a wet, bacteria-infested rag is going to prevent anything...I'd say you're an optimist. But it's your choice to have a mask fetish if you like.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Yes. Imagine not being able to have anyone visit you from the time you enter the hospital to the end of your life. Disgraceful and downright mean. Evil, maybe, to do that to someone.

"Somewhat restrictive" masks might be of minor benefit, but the masks most people wear are useless, or perhaps worse than useless. If you think a cheap paper mask or a wet, bacteria-infested rag is going to prevent anything...I'd say you're an optimist. But it's your choice to have a mask fetish if you like.
Imagine being 6 feet under ground in a dark coffin because someone else was careless enough to not quarantine when they first had symptoms...I'd call that much meaner and much evil'er...

The types of masks people wear is their choice and their ignorance. I'd imagine the types you're referring to are worn by folks that don't much give a f*ck about wearing masks and just do it to get into stores/restaurants as part of the requirement. They never took the time or cared enough to read/listen to the guidance and the science behind what the mask is supposed to do (and not do) and what types of masks are more effective. That cammo gator looked tougher/cooler and sent a subtle msg about what they think of all this "hooey".

So I agree, shame on them for not taking this seriously and doing the least amount required to coexist in society.

If you prefer, I can start a bill to mandate what kinds of masks are allowable...I'm sure you'd be much more amenable to that?

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Imagine being 6 feet under ground in a dark coffin because someone else was careless enough to not quarantine when they first had symptoms...I'd call that much meaner and much evil'er...

The types of masks people wear is their choice and their ignorance. I'd imagine the types you're referring to are worn by folks that don't much give a f*ck about wearing masks and just do it to get into stores/restaurants as part of the requirement. They never took the time or cared enough to read/listen to the guidance and the science behind what the mask is supposed to do (and not do) and what types of masks are more effective. That cammo gator looked tougher/cooler and sent a subtle msg about what they think of all this "hooey".

So I agree, shame on them for not taking this seriously and doing the least amount required to coexist in society.

If you prefer, I can start a bill to mandate what kinds of masks are allowable...I'm sure you'd be much more amenable to that?
May newsome could pay a Chinese company another $3B to make them for us…. and they were still more expensive than the same ones you could buy retail…

denali15

Aug 28, 2017

Clearly you don't believe vaccines work. Got it.

No, it isn't "eviler." Imagine spending your last days wondering if anyone loved you or even gave you a thought. Just to have someone able to hold your hand and say goodbye. I didn't think even lefties were that nasty.

As Fauci has said, any mask you buy in a store is useless. Some would say worse than useless, as the virus is spread farther, some say. Just like those stupid plastic restaurant dividers, which impeded the circulation of air that dissipated the virus. Nearly everything that has been mandated has either been ineffective or counterproductive. Mask fetishes are a form of moral masturbation, I'd say. Useless, but makes some folks feel virtuous.

But science isn't your strong point, it would appear.

Reactions: DJ4SC

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Clearly you don't believe vaccines work. Got it.

No, it isn't "eviler." Imagine spending your last days wondering if anyone loved you or even gave you a thought. Just to have someone able to hold your hand and say goodbye. I didn't think even lefties were that nasty.

As Fauci has said, any mask you buy in a store is useless. Some would say worse than useless, as the virus is spread farther, some say. Just like those stupid plastic restaurant dividers, which impeded the circulation of air that dissipated the virus. Nearly everything that has been mandated has either been ineffective or counterproductive. Mask fetishes are a form of moral masturbation, I'd say. Useless, but makes some folks feel virtuous.

But science isn't your strong point, it would appear.
Mr. "Scientist", here is exactly what Fauci has said on masks:

In this demo, both types of masks he is wearing can be purchased at most stores. I have both types. My science tells me there are two reasons for wearing a mask:

1) to prevent the output of germ aerosols from one's own mouth
2) to a lesser degree, a mask can help prevent direct contact from said aerosols into the wearer's mouth

If you've been vaccinated, you're less concerned about #2. If you haven't, you'd be equally concerned about both.

No idea where you're getting this bogus "some say" information...just being glib in your typical way once again.

And for the record, below was the previous admin's position on masks:

Aug. 13, at the White House: “My administration has a different approach: We have urged Americans to wear masks, and I emphasized this is a patriotic thing to do. Maybe they’re great, and maybe they’re just good. Maybe they’re not so good.”

If they're "not so good", why would it be patriotic to wear them? Who knows. I've stopped trying to make sense of that time period.

Last edited:

DJ4SC

Aug 24, 2017
I noticed the announcement now says we need to break "the cycle of surges..." instead of "we need to get this thing under control." Undoubtedly, this is because, statewide, the average new case rate has been significantly dropping for over a week already. So they may be grandstanding... just a bit.
And why I personally have an issue with the continued moving of the goal posts. Cases does not equate to anything but cases.

May I see your papers please!?

DJ4SC

Aug 24, 2017

In this demo, both types of masks he is wearing can be purchased at most stores. I have both types. My science tells me there are two reasons for wearing a mask:

2) to a lesser degree, a mask can help prevent direct contact from said aerosols into the wearer's mouth

If you've been vaccinated, you're less concerned about #2. If you haven't, you'd be equally concerned about both.

No idea where you're getting this bogus "some say" information...just being glib in your typical way once again.
Which time? It’s common knowledge that mask do nothing to stop a virus but please carry on with the kool aid.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018

Let’s not forget, he also said that it wasn’t airborne, and that cloth masks would help at different times. So honestly, I don’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth anymore.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Let’s not forget, he also said that it wasn’t airborne, and that cloth masks would help at different times. So honestly, I don’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth anymore.
That's the thing right? People like to pin this whole thing on Fauci like he speaks for the world...like if you catch him in a stumble or contradiction, then the whole thing is bullsh*t (I win!). Like this is some big gotcha game.

Fauci doesn't speak for the world. If you think he's full of sh*t, go and see what the Israeli's think, see what German scientists think. Go and look at Japan's policy on mask wearing, or Hong Kong.

This isn't a Fauci vs. conservatives battle here...it's much bigger than Fauci and even the US. We're all just too myopic to see that and prefer to play the gotcha game...to our own demise.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrojanMoniker

DJ4SC

Aug 24, 2017
That's the thing right? People like to pin this whole thing on Fauci like he speaks for the world...like if you catch him in a stumble or contradiction, then the whole thing is bullsh*t. Like this is some big gotcha game.

Fauci doesn't speak for the world. If you think he's full of sh*t, go and see what the Israeli's think, see what German scientists think. Go and look at Japan's policy on mask wearing, or Hong Kong.

This isn't a Fauci vs. conservatives battle here...it's much bigger than Fauci and even the US. We're all just too myopic to see that and prefer to play the gotcha game...to our own demise.
He’s the ******* top dog for health and the highest paid federal employee which every health director around the country without a brain set their unconstitutional mandates to.

And who said it was ever about Fauci vs conservatives? The leftists lemmings, that‘s who….by the way, NO POLITICS ON THE FOOTBALL BOARD!

denali15

Aug 28, 2017

And for the record, below was the previous admin's position on masks:

Aug. 13, at the White House: “My administration has a different approach: We have urged Americans to wear masks, and I emphasized this is a patriotic thing to do. Maybe they’re great, and maybe they’re just good. Maybe they’re not so good.”

If they're "not so good", why would it be patriotic to wear them? Who knows. I've stopped trying to make sense of that time period.

Uh, no. Typical ill-fitting masks (i.e. 100% of what you find in practice) do not prevent aerosol transmission--it amplifies them. Something that fogs your glasses is somehow stopping a virus? Sure, pal. I'd observe, however, that Newsom doesn't agree with you, as he doesn't wear them except when on TV. Same for Pelosi, Biden, just about every other phony.

Masks are useless, especially outdoors, where there is zero risk of transmission just from someone passing by. Bandanas, gaitors (sp?), plastic shields--equally useless. It's refreshing to see you following Trump's advice, however. It's OK: unless you are old & sick, or obese, you have only a 99.75% chance of beating this.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Uh, no. Typical ill-fitting masks (i.e. 100% of what you find in practice) do not prevent aerosol transmission--it amplifies them. Something that fogs your glasses is somehow stopping a virus? Sure, pal.

Masks are useless, especially outdoors, where there is zero risk of transmission just from someone passing by. Bandanas, gaitors (sp?), plastic shields--equally useless. It's refreshing to see you following Trump's advice, however. It's OK: unless you are old & sick, or obese, you have only a 99.75% chance of beating this.
Your and my exchanges have run their course, they've exceeded the daily limit of logic and moved on to silliness. A good day to you Sir.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
That's the thing right? People like to pin this whole thing on Fauci like he speaks for the world...like if you catch him in a stumble or contradiction, then the whole thing is bullsh*t (I win!). Like this is some big gotcha game.

No. Don’t overplay your hand. Scientists are supposed to deal in facts, not supposition. I could have dealt with an “we don’t truly know”, but we’re fed misinformation purposely so that they wouldn’t run out of masks that work or face shields for frontline workers. Fauci played the political game as much and as well as everyone else in DC. Why hasn’t he disclosed his financial interests in Wuhan?

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
I must be weird, but my experience is that I know a lot of people who have contracted Covid (200+). Not one has been hospitalized. Not one has come close to death. And added to that, more than 50% of those of those I know who have been vaccinated against Covid have subsequently gotten it. Now that’s an effective vaccine!!! Maybe boosters will help! (Yeah, before you ask, that’s 20/30 people that I have personal contact with that have gotten Covid after vaccination.)

But, remember, that’s all anecdotal. Don’t trust that over what the media reports. I’m
just giving real life numbers.
Against my better judgement I caved and got the vaccine. We'll see if it works for me. One encouraging thing I read on Forbes a couple days ago saying that booster shots might not be necessary.

Reactions: gubo&palanka

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
No. Don’t overplay your hand. Scientists are supposed to deal in facts, not supposition. I could have dealt with an “we don’t truly know”, but we’re fed misinformation purposely so that they wouldn’t run out of masks that work or face shields for frontline workers. Fauci played the political game as much and as well as everyone else in DC. Why hasn’t he disclosed his financial interests in Wuhan?
I don't tie my fate or my actions to Fauci...never have. He's one voice, one perspective. I look to BBC/Reuters/Wall St. Journal to see what other countries are doing, what other scientists have said/found. I look to other countries that don't have a dog in our political squabbles and don't stand to monetarily benefit from any particular action.

We can play the Fauci game all day. He may end up being the most corrupt person in history, but whether he is or isn't doesn't solely determine what I do. I look for consensus amongst state officials, academics and the medical cmty. And if our supposed "enemies" (Russia/China/Iran) also align even when doing so doesn't help their cause...even more a reason.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
The slope becomes more and more slippery, first they cancelled because of social/political issues now it’s vaccination. What’s next?

Latest posts