Cowherd had some different names than everyone else

Moose4usc

Aug 24, 2017
Anthony Lynn. Matt Nagy. Doug Pedersen.

Interesting, but not sure I agree. Maybe Lynn would be a good fit.

I am still hoping for Urban and Fickell would be my next choice.

Scottdaloisio

Oct 3, 2019
I do not want Doug whatsoever I watched him every Sunday for the last 3 years what he did to that team and his arrogance and refusal to give up the play calling ruined that team

JImmytheGreek

Aug 24, 2017
No particular thought on Herd's list but I am dubious of the chalk picks. I believe the USC job is unique.

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
Anthony Lynn. Matt Nagy. Doug Pedersen.

Interesting, but not sure I agree. Maybe Lynn would be a good fit.

I am still hoping for Urban and Fickell would be my next choice.
Anthony Lynn maybe. If he ever got the job he better give Dante Williams whatever he wants to keep him. Lynn would need a crash course in CFB recruiting 101.

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
Good Lord! He’s just throwing in names. He could have just as easily added Jay Gruden and Matt Rhule. My guess is that he knows Lynn from Lynn’s Chargers days and wants to see him get an interview.

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
No particular thought on Herd's list but I am dubious of the chalk picks. I believe the USC job is unique.
Scott and I talked about this a big in our conversation story. The easy call right now is to go with the comfortable names. Calls to Fickell and Meyer are easy if Bohn can really go after whoever he wants. But it would not surprise me to see USC get involved to some degree with names that are off the radar right now.

Reactions: yah20002

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
Unless an nfl guy has strong sc and southern califronia connections recruiting will be difficult
I don't think this is true at all. If USC gets a well-respected NFL guy -- a guy with a plan to build a great staff and a guy who recruits hard, constantly and in-person, the combination of NFL and USC will get them in anywhere. High school coaches and trainers and 7on7 guys in Southern California want to see USC do well. They want to send their kids there to get a degree and go to the NFL. If they trust there's a guy here and a staff here that knows how to do that, and that staff shows consistent interest, I don't buy that they need previous connections.

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
This was Cowherd's take, for anybody who didn't see it.

I think there are some ideas with legs there. I think it's a bit of an overreach to say USC went big with Pete Carroll, but he wasn't a USC retread or just some college coach.

College football programs are more resembling professional organizations now and it does make sense to get someone who understands that set up.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
At least Cowherd loves USC. Why do we care what Feinbaum, Thamel, Dodd or any of the other national media -- who in their hearts do not want USC to be successful -- why should we listen to them? Bohn hopefully will not.

Why listen to any of them?

Bohn’s opinion is the only one that really matters (along with certain key boosters and board members.)

Everybody else can take a hike.

Blade Runner

Sep 12, 2021
I don't listen to Cowherd but he does have a point about hiring an NFL coach.

My preferences

Doug Pederson
Anthony Lynn
Eric Bieniemy

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
Cowherd has some valid points, but there are also flaws with his thinking. I totally agree that our head coach search should expand to NFL coaches, not because they have experience with professional and NIL deals, but because with the new NIL rules they just need to focus on winning and consistently compete for national championships. If they can master the later top recruits will be knocking at their door to join their program and start making money, hence Saban at Alabama.
The search does not have to be limited to fired head coaches or coaches on the hot seat, but Bohn should be looking at OCs and DC’s, the same criteria that happens every year at the End of the NFL season when head coaches are terminated.
I also don’t agree about the premise of rural versus big city stereotyping of coaches. If you are a good coach in a rural area or big city that should qualify you to get on the list. That maybe more on the flip side if the targeted coach does not want to deal with a big city where every movement is tracked, ie a coach like Matt Campbell!
Finally, like I posted on another thread what is USC willing to spend? Also remember CPC was 5th on the list. We just lucked out! what is the chances of that happening again. To my original point, we just need a coach college or NFL that can win games, win our conference, and consistently compete for national championships! Master the first 3 and recruiting takes care of itself, because for sure you will have a large donor pool to privately fund NIL deals! So how much is USC willing to pay its next elite coach?
Fight On!

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Cowherd has some valid points, but there are also flaws with his thinking. I totally agree that our head coach search should expand to NFL coaches, not because they have experience with professional and NIL deals, but because with the new NIL rules they just need to focus on winning and consistently compete for national championships. If they can master the later top recruits will be knocking at their door to join their program and start making money, hence Saban at Alabama.
The search does not have to be limited to fired head coaches or coaches on the hot seat, but Bohn should be looking at OCs and DC’s, the same criteria that happens every year at the End of the NFL season when head coaches are terminated.
I also don’t agree about the premise of rural versus big city stereotyping of coaches. If you are a good coach in a rural area or big city that should qualify you to get on the list. That maybe more on the flip side if the targeted coach does not want to deal with a big city where every movement is tracked, ie a coach like Matt Campbell!
Finally, like I posted on another thread what is USC willing to spend? Also remember CPC was 5th on the list. We just lucked out! what is the chances of that happening again. To my original point, we just need a coach college or NFL that can win games, win our conference, and consistently compete for national championships! Master the first 3 and recruiting takes care of itself, because for sure you will have a large donor pool to privately fund NIL deals! So how much is USC willing to pay its next elite coach?
Fight On!
Apparently 10m

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
We will see, if so expect your mailbox to be filled with donation requests!
Fight On!

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Let me remind everyone. Colin Cowherd’s number one guy for USC at one time was Jedd Fisch. Has that guy even won a game yet?

History has proven this guys opinions on coaching hires have been atrocious. I would trust the Magic 8 ball 🎱 answer before I believe anything Colin has to say.
Colin is clueless as hell when it comes to college coaching. No one should be taking advice from that guy on that front.

Reactions: Cardinal&Gold

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
Cowherd:

Stir Cooking GIF by Julia Child

Reactions: qqqqqqqman

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
This was Cowherd's take, for anybody who didn't see it.

I think there are some ideas with legs there. I think it's a bit of an overreach to say USC went big with Pete Carroll, but he wasn't a USC retread or just some college coach.

College football programs are more resembling professional organizations now and it does make sense to get someone who understands that set up.

USC Hiring Doug Pederson reeks of Nebraska hiring Bill Callahan.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
I think one of the points that Cowherd is saying is why limit your list to same college coaches. How many years have we been doing this and the same names get brought up. He is saying think out of the box and look at NFL coaches. Some may not be fits as they don’t want to deal with kids, but you never know. I am not positive he is endorsing any one candidate, but giving examples of how they took mediocre guys and contended for the Super Bowl. Just saying! I think there are some real good assistant coaches that could work if we get into funding constraints!
Fight On!

Latest posts