Croom mistake #788? Is that where we are 8dog?

AzzurriDawg4

Nov 11, 2007
Anyway, this is pure speculation, but I was just looking at the updated depth chart and had a thought.

Yall might be able to help me out on this, because I can't say that I have noticed him much on the field, but is there any reason we haven't given Damien Anderson a shot at CB over Marcus Washington? The only thing I really recall about Anderson was his sack against GT (but he looked good on that play).

aGAIN, I don't know if Anderson is any good - but I do know that Washington is bad.

Also, I love how our 2 Senior guards are now running 2nd team. So much for experience. I have always thought Strauder and Gates were clowns. I don't think I have ever seen Strauder push anyone around and Gates moves around like he has concrete boots. #789 - thanks for recognizing this sooner.

Thoughts? Insight?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think marcus washington hurts us far worse than anyone ever acknowledges. He has to give so much cushion so as not to get beat deep. also, he is pretty damn good on ST and playing defense hurts that a little.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
is because, even with him out there, the defense has been good enough to win games. Everyone is focusing on offense, the kicking game, and coaching decisions, and rightfully so. If Mr. Washington was a major part of us losing, it would be a different story.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
I'm not calling Washington all-SEC but he's no Tay Bowser. I think he's a solid corner. He does pretty decent in run support and while he doesn't make a bunch of big plays I don't recall him giving up a ton of big plays either (someone correct me if I'm wrong). As for the cushion you've always got to ask if that's b/c of his ability of if that's how the coach wants them to play?

And as mentioned he's good on special teams. The big question is why Anderson wasn't ahead of Bowser early in the year and how come he can't crack the nickel rotation now? MTSU threw all over the safeties we had covering guys.

AzzurriDawg4

Nov 11, 2007
to respond to Irondawg, I think just about every big play that has gone down on our defense has been against Washington/Bowser. You make a good point regarding Bowser/Anderson though. It took the staff this late to realize Bowser was a complete joke at CB.

I don't think Washington is Odell Bradley terrible. Just not very good.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
You may be right - like I said I just don't notice him getting abused throughout a game. I did concentrate on who that King guy from MTSU kept burning to get all those receptions and like 80% of were when Glanton or DP was covering him and some O'Quinn.

I will say that given our absolute lack of pass rushing, our secondary has played pretty well overall even though we don't have a lot of picks.