Curious to see how Lamont handles our non-conference schedule next year

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Last year, he stated that he intentionally loaded our non-con schedule with what he called "winnable" games. Whatever his reason for the strategy, it worked. I don't think it helped us much come selection time, but our conference record was so good, I also don't think it hurt us. He obviously didn't feel the team was ready yet for an aggressive non-con schedule, and he was probably right. It'll be interesting to see if we stretch a bit this year and add a couple strong teams to the non-con schedule. It may be more necessary next year since the SEC's reputation after this NCAAT is going to be pretty tarnished. With how the SEC face-planted this year, our showing in conference games next year will definitely not be viewed as favorably as this year.

Which leads to the question: what non-conference team would you like to see us play next year?

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Which leads to the question: what non-conference team would you like to see us play next year?

It seems like the NET rankings are highly influenced by blowouts. So play the same schedule, but be ready to beat those easy teams by 40. Now that won't help win tournament games (as shown by the Mountain West getting it on the chin after being NET darlings), but better metrics can only help.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It seems like the NET rankings are highly influenced by blowouts. So play the same schedule, but be ready to beat those easy teams by 40. Now that won't help win tournament games (as shown by the Mountain West getting it on the chin after being NET darlings), but better metrics can only help.

Yes, definitely need to find a way to pull away in some games. That was our Achille's.

Last edited:

Cybercock

Jan 20, 2022
I want North Carolina. It just makes sense to do SC vs NC
UNcarolina doesn't want a game with us.
We are not a big enough name to beat for it to matter and too big of a name to take a chance on getting losing.
Look at their OOC schedule. Blue blood names and a bunch of nobody's.
That's how you pad the net scores.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
A weak OOC schedule and not dominating the SEC schedule is how you end up with 24 regular season wins and not making the NCAAT. Martin did that in 2015.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
A weak OOC schedule and not dominating the SEC schedule is how you end up with 24 regular season wins and not making the NCAAT. Martin did that in 2015.
Ultimately you've got to win games. A strong OOC schedule filled with losses doesn't help anything either.

I think the ideal OOC is like this season: 8-10 winnable games, with a handful of stronger opponents. We know we have Clemson. We know we have a second ACC opponent with the SEC-ACC challenge. Now just fill the schedule out with a couple other power 5 opponents. I'd prefer teams we're geographically closer to, like GT, FSU, NC State, etc.

Reactions: LexCock11

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Utterly sucking on the back end of that season is another way. It was infuriating.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I guess he first needs to figure out what his team is going to look like next year, and then build a schedule they can handle.

Being a surprise tournament team this year, I would think we would be more attractive for some of the early-season tournaments. That's often where some of your higher quality OOC opponents are acheduled.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Last year, he stated that he intentionally loaded our non-con schedule with what he called "winnable" games. Whatever his reason for the strategy, it worked. I don't think it helped us much come selection time, but our conference record was so good, I also don't think it hurt us. He obviously didn't feel the team was ready yet for an aggressive non-con schedule, and he was probably right. It'll be interesting to see if we stretch a bit this year and add a couple strong teams to the non-con schedule. It may be more necessary next year since the SEC's reputation after this NCAAT is going to be pretty tarnished. With how the SEC face-planted this year, our showing in conference games next year will definitely not be viewed as favorably as this year.

Any school which was in the ACC at the time we left the league.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
UNcarolina doesn't want a game with us.
We are not a big enough name to beat for it to matter and too big of a name to take a chance on getting losing.
Look at their OOC schedule. Blue blood names and a bunch of nobody's.
That's how you pad the net scores.
I'll bet they would play us either in Chapel Hell or on a neutral court. My guess us that they will not do a home-and-home on their own. Now if the ACC-SEC challenge sends them to Columbia, that's a different story.

Reactions: Cybercock

Latest posts