Do Bohn and Sosna Really Have Their Guy?

Michael Connolly

Jun 30, 2021
I hate to dedicate another thread to the coaching search but had a thought (probably an unoriginal one) while I read up on Devin Brown's decision to reopen his recruitment. As rumors swirl of USC, LSU and Florida, I think many have begun to assume that we has either reached an agreement with a candidate or is in the final stages of doing so. Despite "people in the know" conceding that no one really has any clue, this assumption is now more pervasive around our fanbase than ever.

My question is, if these assumptions are true, what is the hold up in announcing? The speculation and uncertainty have destroyed our recruiting class. I understand that, If USC has an agreement in place, the coach is probably coaching elsewhere. But, our current players have checked out. Our current coaches, with the possible exception of Donte Williams, are lame ducks & they know it. The few staff members that do recruit face a near impossible task in competing with programs that have the bare minimum in stability (i.e. having a current head coach in place). Our crosstown rival, a program that will almost definitely never win anything of significance other than a PAC-12 South Title, just hung 62 on us.

Ranting aside, there is currently no bigger dumpster fire in college football, and it seems to get worse by the day. Every second that goes by without an announcement just makes the incoming coach's job harder. This reality makes me question whether or not we truly "have our guy" as many have alluded.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
The season isn't over, so why would there be an announcement? Plus, if the incoming coach is taking the USC job. Then it should be known to them beforehand that it's going to be hard, but they took it anyway. Especially, if they're currently employed and are well established at another college. I'd think a good coach would dot his i's and cross his t's before accepting that type of offer.

So, the hold up should be obvious at this point. We're still in session.

Last edited:

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
VERY RARELY does an employed coach let the announcement out that he’s signing on somewhere else before the season ends. It doesn’t work well.

Also, out of respect for Donte Williams’ efforts, Bohn isn’t going to announce another coach until the season is over.

Trojans2021

Jun 20, 2021
Part of me thinks that the LA times fluff piece came out because Bohn has had a verbal commitment from a coach and want all the publicity and build up as possible. I dont think that article is written and published by Karje without Bohn knowing he has somebody. If he strikes out while publishing that article, its just a terrible look.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
A head coach would have to see the written on the wall or have a bad relationship with their AD at their school. In order to leave their school before the season ends.

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
Part of me thinks that the LA times fluff piece came out because Bohn has had a verbal commitment from a coach and want all the publicity and build up as possible. I dont think that article is written and published by Karje without Bohn knowing he has somebody. If he strikes out while publishing that article, its just a terrible look.
I know there is not a lot of love on this board for the LAT, but I can’t see the reporter making any kind of deal with Bohn. Unless, of course, Kartly got something in return - like the break on the coaching hire.

Trojans2021

Jun 20, 2021
I know there is not a lot of love on this board for the LAT, but I can’t see the reporter making any kind of deal with Bohn. Unless, of course, Kartly got something in return - like the break on the coaching hire.
Nah it just seems like Karje is buddies with them. And writes fluff pieces for more access.

Reactions: Dallas Schwartz

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
The season isn't over, so why would there be an announcement? Plus, if the incoming coach job is taking the USC job. Then it should be known that it was going to be hard, but they took it anyway. Especially, if they're currently employed and are well established at another college. I'd think a good coach would dot his i's and cross his t's before accepting the offer.

So, the hold up should be obvious at this point. We're still in session.

To your point, most people forget that the information regarding John McKay going to Tampa Bay was leaked when the team was 7-0 and they tanked the rest of the season. That certainly wouldn't affect us but it would probably affect the team being coached by the guy we intend on hiring.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
To your point, most people forget that the information regarding John McKay going to Tampa Bay was leaked when the team was 7-0 and they tanked the rest of the season. That certainly wouldn't affect us but it would probably affect the team being coached by the guy we intend on hiring.
Yep, it's very, very bad for business. The last thing any program or head coach wants is to have a leak tank the rest of their season, especially in regards to Baylor and Cincy. Which means, if USC wants either of those coaches services, then their best chance is to be quiet.

Last edited:

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
Notice he thanked Harrell and Helton -not Williams- for his recruitment?

Devin Brown decommitted because his skill set is ideal for the Air Raid and it's clear that the job will be had by a coach who has no allegiance to that system.

The fact he didn't thank Williams might possibly mean that Donte actually told him to open his recruitment.

So to say this is more evidence that it's a tire fire is to let your preconceptions drive your conclusions, which is bad science.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Notice he thanked Harrell and Helton -not Williams- for his recruitment?

Devin Brown decommitted because his skill set is ideal for the Air Raid and it's clear that the job will be had by a coach who has no allegiance to that system.

The fact he didn't thank Williams might possibly mean that Donte actually told him to open his recruitment.

So to say this is more evidence that it's a tire fire is to let your preconceptions drive your conclusions, which is bad science.
Pretty much, Brown is de-committing because Harrell just like Helton will be removed soon enough.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I think the only thing we can possibly read into the delay in announcing, is that the new coach is currently coaching. This would rule out any of the coaches like Petersen, B. Stoops, etc. Even that may not hold water. We only have another week or two and all shall be revealed. Fight On!
Agreed

Reactions: sctrojan2006

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
I think the only thing we can possibly read into the delay in announcing, is that the new coach is currently coaching. This would rule out any of the coaches like Petersen, B. Stoops, etc. Even that may not hold water. We only have another week or two and all shall be revealed. Fight On!
And make what you will of the fact that ISU has been eliminated from the Big 12 Championship Game and will finish at either 7-5 or 6-6 -- meaning the fine people of the Hawkeye State aren't going to be terribly bummed that he skipped out a game early. So while correlation does not mean causation, I don't see what would stop them from announcing Campbell as early as LAST Sunday.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
And make what you will of the fact that ISU has been eliminated from the Big 12 Championship Game and will finish at either 7-5 or 6-6 -- meaning the fine people of the Hawkeye State aren't going to be terribly bummed that he skipped out a game early. So while correlation does not mean causation, I don't see what would stop them from announcing Campbell as early as LAST Sunday.
His last game is on the 27th, so that means if Campbell isn't announced that Saturday, or Sunday or that following Monday. It's not him, that's his window.

Unless Dec. 3 turns out to be that day - but announcing that just before the title games? Makes little sense to me. It just prolongs the hopes of Iowa State fans and would be a waste of a weekend. That should have been used to get an official commitment from him, so HH could send out the press release on Monday.

To me, if they wait until next Friday, it has to be someone else.

Last edited:

sctrojan2006

Aug 24, 2017
Perhaps, it is not Campbell. My guess is that Aranda's our guy.

MongoSlade

Aug 24, 2017
Pretty much, Brown is de-committing because Harrell just like Helton will be removed soon enough.
Why any player would hang their college career on the under achiever that is Harrell is beyond me. What in the world has he done to prove that you should definitely because of him being canned and pass on the opportunity to attend a school like USC?? Bananas

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Why any player would hang their college career on the under achiever that is Harrell is beyond me. What in the world has he done to prove that you should definitely because of him being canned and pass on the opportunity to attend a school like USC?? Bananas
I mean he was his recruiter and I guess he was sold on coming to play for Harrell and his stink raid. Don't know how GH did it, but he had his commitment.

Reactions: AnArchitect

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
Perhaps, it is not Campbell. My guess is that Aranda's our guy.
That's is one big possible implication. That if it were Campbell it would already be Campbell.

Again, HCMC could have said that, for Cyclone pride and loyalty and thanks for taking a chance on him he wanted to see out the regular season.

But I think the "stock" drop-off from a Big 12 Championship competitive Aranda to a 6-5 and eliminated Campbell is severe enough that Campbell would be more at Bohn's whim re:timing. With Early Signing Day so close, you'd think if it was Campbell, SC would have told him when it had to be...

I don't want my own wishful thinking to color my perception, but this all points to Aranda or someone still in the thick of a hunt.

Although it would be wild if it was Sitake and... He just stays in LA after whupping us.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
That's is one big possible implication. That if it were Campbell it would already be Campbell.

Again, HCMC could have said that, for Cyclone pride and loyalty and thanks for taking a chance on him he wanted to see out the regular season.

But I think the "stock" drop-off from a Big 12 Championship competitive Aranda to a 6-5 and eliminated Campbell is severe enough that Campbell would be more at Bohn's whim re:timing. With Early Signing Day so close, you'd think if it was Campbell, SC would have told him when it had to be...

I don't want my own wishful thinking to color my perception, but this all points to Aranda or someone still in the thick of a hunt.

Although it would be wild if it was Sitake and... He just stays in LA after whupping us.
Interesting observation, that I didn't really ponder or think of....

Indeed, Matt Campbell would have no leverage in that situation. He has no big time wins to hang his hat on this season. And, I doubt he's the type of person or head coach to lean on his status from last year. So, in this specific scenario, it would be USC calling, the shots. Given, how important December is in regards to recruiting, sooner is better in terms of him being announced or not.

I'd be cool with Sitake, but I think he's more fit for the Washington job.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnArchitect

SCnAZ

Aug 24, 2017
VERY RARELY does an employed coach let the announcement out that he’s signing on somewhere else before the season ends. It doesn’t work well.

Also, out of respect for Donte Williams’ efforts, Bohn isn’t going to announce another coach until the season is over.
Bohn could give DW a heads up on the coaches name and possible start date. I still maintain that the coach that comes in, was/is told that DW has to stay on as a coach

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Bohn could give DW a heads up on the coaches name and possible start date. I still maintain that the coach that comes in, was/is told that DW has to stay on as a coach
I'd like to think that DW, would jell well with a fellow SoCal native and vice versa. To go along with the fact that both of them played on the defensive side of the ball. Plus, DA is the type of guy that loves to teach and DW would benefit greatly in learning from him.

Last edited:

Dallas Schwartz

Jan 9, 2021
IT's Not Campbell

I said back after Hugs was sent packin an Campbell's name was all the rage it wouldn't be him. He's a one trick pony. Sadly for him, the Loser Les Miles and Woke Tom Herman were already run off leavin him with few sure fire whippin boys...

Cyrus.usc

Aug 24, 2017
We play LSU is a few years, I don't want them to get either Aranda or Campbell, so we have to hire both of them, one can be a coordinator. And definitely don't want Washington to get Aranda. We already helped them get Petersen so I want them to get a bad coach, so not the Oregon state HC either. They can have Wilcox.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
We play LSU is a few years, I don't want them to get either Aranda or Campbell, so we have to hire both of them, one can be a coordinator. And definitely don't want Washington to get Aranda. We already helped them get Petersen so I want them to get a bad coach, so not the Oregon state HC either. They can have Wilcox.
eric cartman crowd GIF by South Park

Sidenote: I have no idea why, Washington thinks Aranda would pick them. lol

Their best chance is Nevada's coach, BYU's coach, or a wild card.

Reactions: Cyrus.usc