Double first base?

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
Have collisions been an issue throughout college baseball? Not that I was aware of…..sounds like the higher ups just trying to look smart to everyone else and fix a problem that doesn’t exist.

Reactions: Blues man

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
It doesn’t move the needle for me either way. What does it hurt? How does it negatively impact the game? Again, I could really care less either way.

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
MLB went to larger bases recently for safety and makes stealing slightly easier 😉

Colabroker

Joined Jan 14, 2003
Feb 21, 2022
It doesn’t move the needle for me either way. What does it hurt? How does it negatively impact the game? Again, I could really care less either way.
More of chance on getting hurt with 2 bases at a spot you never had to navigate your whole career. It’s a stupid idea.

Reactions: CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
More of chance on getting hurt with 2 bases at a spot you never had to navigate your whole career. It’s a stupid idea.
I can guarantee you this isn't the first time these guys have had to navigate a double base.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Welcome to America, 2024. We are done for.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
MLB went to larger bases recently for safety and makes stealing slightly easier 😉
See that's the thing I dont like. Changes that change the game. Changes that will change statistics in a way they should require an *... or separate stats for separate eras. Bigger bases inside the lines shortens the distance. Not good imo. Changes in the bat, not good. Changes in the ball, not good. Changes in the distance to the mound, not good. Widen first base on the foul line side? I dont see an issue. Doesn't affect stats. Doesn't affect the game. No big deal. Now you want to make changes? Change the way batters wear their elbow pad. Dang thing shouldn't be able to stick out away from the body two inches. Twice yesterday I saw bases awarded where the ball hit that and nothing else. Changes the pitcher's stats when it shouldn't... and could be the difference in winning and losing a game

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
See that's the thing I dont like. Changes that change the game. Changes that will change statistics in a way they should require an *... or separate stats for separate eras. Bigger bases inside the lines shortens the distance. Not good imo. Changes in the bat, not good. Changes in the ball, not good. Changes in the distance to the mound, not good. Widen first base on the foul line side? I dont see an issue. Doesn't affect stats. Doesn't affect the game. No big deal. Now you want to make changes? Change the way batters wear their elbow pad. Dang thing shouldnt be able to stick out away from the body two inches. Twice yesterday I saw bases awarded where the ball hit that and nothing else. Changes the pitcher's stats when it shouldn't.

The double first base rule will impact safe vs out calls at first base, thus impacting the stats.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
The double first base rule will impact safe vs out calls at first base, thus impacting the stats.
I dont see it that way. Lets say a first baseman has to leave his feet to catch a ball thrown to him from SS and he lands on the additional part of 1st base and the runner is called safe because the 1st baseman touched the wrong side of the base. Well if the base wasn't there he wouldn't have touched a base at all meaning the runner would have been safe anyway. So that wouldn't have changed anything. I fail to see how any other play would alter a call either. On an extra base hit, the runner is still using the inside corner... so that's not an issue. I dont get the problem.

Reactions: Sweetwatergolf

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I dont see it that way. Lets say a first baseman has to leave his feet to catch a ball thrown to him from SS and he lands on the additional part of 1st base and the runner is called safe because the 1st baseman touched the wrong side of the base. Well if the base wasn't there he wouldn't have touched a base at all meaning the runner would have been safe anyway. So that wouldn't have changed anything. I fail to see how any other play would alter a call either. On an extra base hit, the runner is still using the inside corner... so that's not an issue. I dont get the problem.
Well, the most immediately obvious: By minimizing collisions (who wants collisions in sports????) you won't have as many situations were the 1B drops a ball b/c of contact and resulting in the runner being called safe.

Also, on an initial play at first the defender can only use the white portion of the bag and the runner can only use the colored portion. This does favor the runner in certain situations by giving a totally unobstructed bag.

Is it going to drastically affect games? No. But it obviously cannot be said that is will have no impact at all on statistics. It will to some degree.

Also, it's just wussy.

Last edited:

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022

I'd say trying to eliminate this kind of injury is a good thing, not the "wussification of America."

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

I'd say trying to eliminate this kind of injury is a good thing, not the "wussification of America."

11 year old video. Not terribly relevant.

It's not like first basemen are dropping left and right from this kind of think. It's rare, in fact, in the overall picture of baseball.

It is, indeed, the wussification of America. People used to just accept that certain injury risks came with playing sports. Now we want to alter games to try eliminating injuries.

News flash: if you play sports, you might get hurt.

We've gone from telling kids "Hey, rub some dirt on it!" to doing anything and everything we can to make sure nobody ever gets a boo boo ever again.

Last edited:
Reactions: USClight

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Nothing like needing a slide ruler to figure out what base you need to touch when. And for the Tim Hudson 11 year old video, theoretically you can eliminate play altogether to reduce the chance of any injury. Players in many sports have torn ACLs jumping in the air to celebrate….maybe we just stop sports and no freak accident can occur.

Comical approach to baseball IMO

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Nothing like needing a slide ruler to figure out what base you need to touch when. And for the Tim Hudson 11 year old video, theoretically you can eliminate play altogether to reduce the chance of any injury. Players in many sports have torn ACLs jumping in the air to celebrate….maybe we just stop sports and no freak accident can occur.

Comical approach to baseball IMO
I can't wait for the first time a runner errantly touches the white bag on a play at first and is called out b/c he's only allowed to touch the colored bag.

Stupid.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Well, the most immediately obvious: By minimizing collisions (who wants collisions in sports????) you won't have as many situations were the 1B drops a ball b/c of contact and resulting in the runner being called safe.

Also, on an initial play at first the defender can only use the white portion of the bag and the runner can only use the colored portion. This does favor the runner in certain situations by giving a totally unobstructed bag.

Is it going to drastically affect games? No. But it obviously cannot be said that is will have no impact at all on statistics. It will to some degree.

Also, it's just wussy.
The wuss thing I can buy. Any stat change is minute at best. I give you that. It's not even in the same universe as any of the other changes that have taken place tho. What I was saying is those are worth bitching about. This? meh

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
11 year old video. Not terribly relevant.

It's not like first basemen are dropping left and right from this kind of think. It's rare, in fact, in the overall picture of baseball.

It is, indeed, the wussification of America. People used to just accept that certain injury risks came with playing sports. Now we want to alter games to try eliminating injuries.

News flash: if you play sports, you might get hurt.

We've gone from telling kids "Hey, rub some dirt on it!" to doing anything and everything we can to make sure nobody ever gets a boo boo ever again.
Let's just get rid of arm and shin guards. Get rid of the C-flap on the helmets too. Actually, just get rid of helmets entirely! Those ball players from 1937 would think players today are wimps with all of this silly protective gear. Catchers' protective gear? That's ridiculous. Get rid of it! These guys should be playing with uniforms and hats only, none of that ridiculous stuff that helps prevent injury. Go ahead and make defenders play without gloves, that's how they did it originally!

Get rid of netting on the stadium! Fans need to pay attention, they don't need protection from foul balls and flying bats.

Obviously if you play sports you might get hurt. It's also absurd to not implement reasonable protective measures that help minimize unnecessary injury.

Oftentimes we see eye to eye on things, but not here. Acting like safety and protective measures to minimize injury exemplifies the wussification of America is one of the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen posited.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Let's just get rid of arm and shin guards. Get rid of the C-flap on the helmets too. Actually, just get rid of helmets entirely! Those ball players from 1937 would think players today are wimps with all of this silly protective gear. Catchers' protective gear? That's ridiculous. Get rid of it! These guys should be playing with uniforms and hats only, none of that ridiculous stuff that helps prevent injury. Go ahead and make defenders play without gloves, that's how they did it originally!

Get rid of netting on the stadium! Fans need to pay attention, they don't need protection from foul balls and flying bats.

Obviously if you play sports you might get hurt. It's also absurd to not implement reasonable protective measures that help minimize unnecessary injury.

Oftentimes we see eye to eye on things, but not here. Acting like safety and protective measures to minimize injury exemplifies the wussification of America is one of the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen posited.

Some measures are reasonable. If you get hit in the head with a ball thrown at 100 mph, you could suffer serious brain injury. That doesn't exactly equate to a sprained ankle. It's the leap from "let's see what we can do to limit serious, life-altering injuries" to "let's do anything we can to make sure nobody ever gets another boo boo".

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Some measures are reasonable. If you get hit in the head with a ball thrown at 100 mph, you could suffer serious brain injury. That doesn't exactly equate to a sprained ankle. It's the leap from "let's see what we can do to limit serious, life-altering injuries" to "let's do anything we can to make sure nobody ever gets another boo boo".
In the video you stated was irrelevant, Tim Hudson suffered a broken ankle and missed extensive time that season because of it. I'm not saying this rule change should be permanent, but it seems reasonable to test it out.

Now, I do agree that the minute details of the rule - where you can step based on the situation - is annoying and dumb. Calling a runner out because he used the wrong bag would be pretty annoying.

Again, though, testing out measures to minimize injury risk is not the wussification of America.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Joined Feb 15, 2018
Jan 17, 2022
See that's the thing I dont like. Changes that change the game. Changes that will change statistics in a way they should require an *... or separate stats for separate eras. Bigger bases inside the lines shortens the distance. Not good imo. Changes in the bat, not good. Changes in the ball, not good. Changes in the distance to the mound, not good. Widen first base on the foul line side? I dont see an issue. Doesn't affect stats. Doesn't affect the game. No big deal. Now you want to make changes? Change the way batters wear their elbow pad. Dang thing shouldn't be able to stick out away from the body two inches. Twice yesterday I saw bases awarded where the ball hit
that and nothing else. Changes the pitcher's stats when it shouldn't... and could be the difference in winning and losing a game

They got baseball 100% correct the first time they put 108 double stitches on the ball and have only screwed it up since.

If they really want to do something useful, make all these overpaid Prima Donnas and Hot Dogs take off all their jewelry before they take the field.

Reactions: Blues man

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
They got baseball 100% correct the first time they put 108 double stitches on the ball and have only screwed it up since.

If they really want to do something useful, make all these overpaid Prima Donnas and Hot Dogs take off all their jewelry before they take the field.
Seems like every so often a new generation of baseball gurus want to come in and change something. The stitches are too ridged. The stitches are too smooth. The bat is too strong. The bat is too weak because we changed the ball. Enough already. Just because you think you know best doesnt mean you do. Next time a rule change is wanted, let's let all the MLB HOFers still alive vote on it as a group. Lol

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I miss when baseball was played like this (and sports in general):

And that was in an all-star game.

Latest posts