Eli Gold baseball thread

Beerbully

Redshirt
Dec 1, 2013
382
0
0
Sure, if you're rooting for Alabama. Maybe you haven't been watching games but LT has been one of our best in conference hitters.

Our debate has been rendered moot for the moment, with our 7th inning uprising. But that's not the first time this season I've seen us opt out on sacrificing to move baserunners and then get nothing in return. And I understand your position on LT, but sometimes you have to make the call. It's gonna come up again in a tight situation.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
Our debate has been rendered moot for the moment, with our 7th inning uprising. But that's not the first time this season I've seen us opt out on sacrificing to move baserunners and then get nothing in return. And I understand your position on LT, but sometimes you have to make the call. It's gonna come up again in a tight situation.

No coach in this conference is ever going to ask his three hitter who is hot and leads the club in homers to bunt with 2 on and none out. If he does he should be fired right there, mid game.

You play for the big inning there, a hundred out of a hundred times. If dubrule or leggett were up in that spot, they would've bunted.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
I feel like we hung with Mac for about 2 batters too long there but we got away with it for the most part.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
Point taken. But when is it not too early to get two runners in scoring position with one out?

Were you upset when Rowdey swung away with first and second and none out in the 7th? Of course not, because you know that you don't take the bat out of the hands of one of your best hitters with runners on. It's the same scenario as we saw in the sixth.
 

Beerbully

Redshirt
Dec 1, 2013
382
0
0
Were you upset when Rowdey swung away with first and second and none out in the 7th? Of course not, because you know that you don't take the bat out of the hands of one of your best hitters with runners on. It's the same scenario as we saw in the sixth.

Another good point taken, but I mentioned earlier that Jordan and Allen have been exceptional hitters. They are two of the three batters in our lineup hitting over .300 consistently. (And Clark just joined that party.)

I like small ball. Polk relied on it quite a bit, especially in years when he didn't have a crushing lineup. I think we've missed some opportunities to use the strategy this season, but hey--I'm just a fan. Go Dawgs, always.
 

ZombieKissinger

All-American
May 29, 2013
5,550
9,602
113
I feel like I’ve seen the image of Forsythe striking out looking so much this year that it’s permanently imprinted on my brain. It’s the only thing in this world that triggers me
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
Forsythe looks at too many strikes, particularly third strikes. Lemonis got on his *** pretty good for it in the Missouri series. He's got to swing the bat.
 
Nov 12, 2007
26,003
10,155
113
I almost feel bad for the hitters when he is on... ALMOST.

Big win to win a "normal" game with our pitching back on track. I think that may have been Bama's best on the mound tonight.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
I think Sims was trying not to laugh at the last swing on the 2nd K of the 9th.

That at bat was a clinic on how to set up a hitter and make him look silly. He swings at an up and in fastball because he guessed slider. Then he takes a fastball strike, and once again swings at an up and in fastball while guessing slider for strike three. It really goes to show you the mental advantage sims has. These guys are out before they even get in the box and they know it.
 

tribaldawg

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2012
502
173
43
Ugh. Eli Gold. Tough to listen to. Between that and the brick wall backstop, it's not a pleasant broadcast. Hopefully our play doesn't add to the unpleasantness.

I just enjoyed listening to Eli Gold call a game that State won. Too many bad football memories I guess.
 

Bill Shankly

Redshirt
Nov 27, 2020
2,095
0
0
I just enjoyed listening to Eli Gold call a game that State won. Too many bad football memories I guess.

I don't mind Eli, but that faux brick wall behind the plate is horrible. It's not brick. Those are brick panels, not the same thing. It's a cheap substitute. To be fair we used them on Davis-Wade, and probably the New Dude, but not in a spot that the majority of the game has a live camera on it.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Sunday Notebook: No. 24 Mississippi State 31-24 No. 19 Mizzou
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's defense bends without breaking again
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State PFF Grades from 31-24 win over Mizzou
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Week 5 date with No. 8 Alabama set for early window