FC: interview with Lubrano

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
I hope people listen to that interview.

I have to be completely honest:
When I hear some of those comments I can't help but to think "What Have I Been Saying for Ten Years!?"

That said, more than that I feel very thankful. Thankful to hear at least one other voice "making sense", and not being afraid to speak "common sense". Thank you Trustee Lubrano. Sincerely.

Issues like the lack of honesty and transparency of Board and Administrative leadership. The failure to accept accountability for our actions and responsibilities as a Board. The compulsion to blame other outside influences for our shortcomings as a University. The truth about the University leadership's actions vav "Paterno". And so many things that I have been speaking on for years and years and years. And some of the many internal issues with the Board and its members and composition. All topics covered in that interview.
Because the surest way to NOT improve is to refuse to acknowledge the problems.

Last edited:

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Well interesting that it looked like the stars were aligning to name the field after the Paternos and Barron stepped in on his way out the door in the 24th hour and put a stop to renaming the field. Now Neeli is squirmy about doing it based on some "feedback" she has gotten.... Now we know for sure that Barron was never going to address or do anything about Joe while at PSU. He wanted his "image" and museum safe... Kudos to Anthony for putting some light on areas where others want to keep everything in the dark.

Note: I should note its a pretty good interview and addresses a number of large issues.

Last edited:

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
56 minutes......any hints as to sections to listen to?
Depends what you are interested in... the opening minutes is about PSU/Students/costs/academics.... if you want to hear about Joe then go to 20:30 and it starts there.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Around 48 minutes Lubrano goes postal.......

At 20 minutes in, Lubrano provides some details on that abortive attempt to honor Joe. We know most of it, but there are some details that weren't in the public reports.

Takes some shots at Brandon Short for literally doing nothing as well as playing the race card numerous times....

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021

When I hear some of those comments I can't help but to think "What Have I Been Saying for Ten Years!?"

That said, more than that I feal very thankful. Thankful to hear at least one other voice "making sense", and not being afraid to speak "common sense". Thank you Trustee Lubrano. Sincerely.
First thing I thought of was you .... and what you say constantly that no one questions anything... no one challenges anything. Saying the BOT needs to do better.

IBeBlockin

Dec 28, 2022

That said, more than that I feel very thankful. Thankful to hear at least one other voice "making sense", and not being afraid to speak "common sense". Thank you Trustee Lubrano. Sincerely.

Issues like the lack of honesty and transparency of Board and Administrative leadership. The failure to accept accountability for our actions and responsibilities as a Board. The compulsion to blame other outside influences for our shortcomings as a University. The truth about the University leadership's actions vav "Paterno". And so many things that I have been speaking on for years and years and years. And some of the many internal issues with the Board and its members and composition. All topics covered in that interview.
Because the surest way to NOT improve is to refuse to acknowledge the problems.
Barry, I don’t mean to put you on the spot, so to speak, but given the comments about Short by Lubrano, where it appears Short won’t even work with Lubrano because he thinks Lubrano is a racist (Short also apparently thinks Jay and Sue Paterno are racists) and where you had Alice Pope requesting security at the blue white game last year due to her fear of Short, do you think Short is a cancer on the board to be blunt?

Also, what did you think of Lubrano indicating that Pat Chambers made a real effort to welcome James Franklin to psu and befriended Franklin and his family only to have Franklin decline when Chambers asked for his support during the nonsense that got Chambers fired? Given the perception throughout Franklin’s career that he may not be a sincere person and is really only about himself, do you think this story about Chambers serves to validate that perception in some manner?

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Interesting. Barry goes on and on that nobody ever questions anything, only him. He’s the only one that ever votes no, we are told. Now, we are praising Lubrano. Color me confused. Naming the field after Paterno doesn’t accomplish anything to benefit the students. That should be priority number 1. Always.

Capkbc

Nov 5, 2021
Interesting. Barry goes on and on that nobody ever questions anything, only him. He’s the only one that ever votes no, we are told. Now, we are praising Lubrano. Color me confused. Naming the field after Paterno doesn’t accomplish anything to benefit the students. That should be priority number 1. Always.
There would be millions of dollars donated to the NIL and/or the University if they honored JVP. Who cares about the the Fake News false narrative & the cancel culture crew. Do what is right.
It has been proven in a court of law that there wasn't a cover up.

Capkbc

Nov 5, 2021
Barry, I don’t mean to put you on the spot, so to speak, but given the comments about Short by Lubrano, where it appears Short won’t even work with Lubrano because he thinks Lubrano is a racist (Short also apparently thinks Jay and Sue Paterno are racists) and where you had Alice Pope requesting security at the blue white game last year due to her fear of Short, do you think Short is a cancer on the board to be blunt?

Also, what did you think of Lubrano indicating that Pat Chambers made a real effort to welcome James Franklin to psu and befriended Franklin and his family only to have Franklin decline when Chambers asked for his support during the nonsense that got Chambers fired? Given the perception throughout Franklin’s career that he may not be a sincere person and is really only about himself, do you think this story about Chambers serves to validate that perception in some manner?
Brandon Short is a politician who speaks out of both sides of his mouth. I personally witnessed him tell someone at a PSU alumni event that exact opposite position on JVP that he told me 10 minutes previously.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
There would be millions of dollars donated to the NIL and/or the University if they honored JVP. Who cares about the the Fake News false narrative & the cancel culture crew. Do what is right.
NIL donations do not help the student body. Again, that should be top priority. Period. Work to provide the best education for the most affordable price.

Capkbc

Nov 5, 2021
NIL donations do not help the student body. Again, that should be top priority. Period. Work to provide the best education for the most affordable price.
Again, I said donations to the UNIVERSITY as well as NIL. Donations to the University will most definitely help the student body.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Again, I said donations to the UNIVERSITY as well as NIL. Donations to the University will most definitely help the student body.
You’re living in hypotheticals. How about work with what they have currently to make the experience better and more affordable. No excuses.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
If you don't think honoring that honoring JVP would raise millions that you are naive, or just being disingenuous.
If you don’t think working with the priority of the students first is the goal then you’ve lost sight of what’s really important. Also, if you took JVP at his word, he would think naming the field after him would be silly and a waste of the BOTs time. Remember, he’s the guy that never wanted the statue. If you don’t take him at his word, carry on.

pamdlion

Dec 2, 2021
I still can’t get by the fake letterman stuff. Hard to take him seriously.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
This Board needs a delete button,
to eliminate our mistakes.
We need to get one right away.
no matter what it takes.
You can get one from a trusted name,
that everyone recognizes.
Just send a million Swiss Francs,
in unmarked bills.
To Fairgambit Enterprises.

200w (2).gif

Last edited:

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
I read this on the other board some time ago and just realized you hadn't seen it posted.It was in a thread titled "Who told the most lies". If anyone is shocked you shouldn't be.

Well, if you consider having Penn State General Counsel, Frank Guadagnino, address the STANDING BOARD to present a one-sided story about how Joe was fully involved, than that person would be Matthew Schuyler. The presentation was a hit-piece designed to pollute the current board and Schuyler would not allow anyone to present a counter-point. Most of the board had no idea this was to be a topic during the Private session called for in mid-January. In addition, Neeli jumped in proclaiming her complete support for Frank's position. Keep in mind that almost all of the current Trustees were not here in 2011 and really weren't familiar with any details. So now, the only "details" they've heard are the lies. and other mis-information. This of course took place in a "private" meeting just recently.

If anyone wondered why Jay asked for Lubrano's proposal at the recent public meeting to be tabled you may stop wondering. Had Jay allowed the proposal to go through it would have ended any thoughts of actually correcting some of the wrongs forever as the topic would/could no longer be put on any agenda since the entire board had been polluted and would have certainly rejected the proposal had it gone to vote.

Schuyler may be the "worst of worst" in this whole sorted affair. At least the others had some excuse for being a "deer caught in the headlights" and very much "under the media gun". Schuyler has no such excuse other than being a horrible human being.

For those who would like to hear Lubrano's proposal at the public meeting and Jay's rebuff open this link and then open the "Media" link to the February 15 and 16 meeting. Go to the 1:31:15 mark in the video provided. The "hit-piece" reference above was a "private" full board meeting.

EDIT: Matthew Schuyler is the current Chair of the Board.

EDIT: I missed copying the link that was in the original post on Rivals so here it is:

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
"There would be millions of dollars donated to the NIL and/or the University if they honored JVP."

B.S. ... Urban myth ... false narrative ... great for making excuses not to donate to PSU (academics or athletics). Show me a list of confirmed pledges that are willing to donate "millions" to PSU if they "honor Joe".

All these folks have to do is ask themselves ...

Would Joe Paterno tell these folks ... "don't donate to PSU until they honor me in a big way"?

Laughable to think a thought like that would ever cross Joe's mind.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
"There would be millions of dollars donated to the NIL and/or the University if they honored JVP."

B.S. ... Urban myth ... false narrative ... great for making excuses not to donate to PSU (academics or athletics). Show me a list of confirmed pledges that are willing to donate "millions" to PSU if they "honor Joe".

Would Joe Paterno tell these folks ... "don't donate to PSU until they honor me in a big way"?

A thousand thousand is a million.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

There are no "confirmed pledges" contingent on honoring Joe. There are wills that were re-written to exclude bequests to PSU as a result of the way PSU handled Sandusky.

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
There are no "confirmed pledges" contingent on honoring Joe. There are wills that were re-written to exclude bequests to PSU as a result of the way PSU handled Sandusky.
Confirmed pledges? We had a member of our alumni chapter rescind his pledge for $1,000,000.00 over the scandal and disgraceful firing of Joe....amazing what you learn at the chapter level. Lubrano feels PSU is losing millions because they refuse to honor the Paterno name.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Confirmed pledges? We had a member of our alumni chapter rescind his pledge for $1,000,000.00 over the scandal and disgraceful firing of Joe....amazing what you learn at the chapter level. Lubrano feels PSU is losing millions because they refuse to honor the Paterno name.
The Development Office has a pretty good handle on monies committed, either through pledges or bequests, that were unfulfilled or withdrawn. Whatever that amount was it's shrinking over time. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess as to the level of financial fallout.

HappyValley1

Sep 18, 2022
This sounds completely made up. But again, if you take the word of someone with a fake varsity jacket and who doesn’t meet their financial commitments to the baseball stadium I can’t help you.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Of the 16 public universities in the Big Ten, Penn State's latest capital campaign (fundraising) placed 13th. Despite the fact that PSU has more living alumni than any university in the entire nation.

Draw whatever inferences one may choose - as to why that is the case. But the facts are the facts, and, for whatever reasons, PSU is dragging a millstone, uphill, through the mud, relative to our cohorts when it comes to fundraising.
That is not a sustainable business model.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
The thought that the University he loved, and gave so much to, would trash his memory, likely never crossed his mind either. I was not a mega donor but I gave 10's of thousands over 40 years. I will not give another dime until Penn State rights the wrongs they have done here. I am not alone. I have dozens of alumni friends who no longer donate over the treatment of Joe. Generally, like me, not major donors, but average a thousand or more a year per alum. For me, I am not asking for much. Admit mistakes were made. Name the field (Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium) after Joe. Perhaps a few more small gestures.

Nitt71

Oct 8, 2021
The Development Office has a pretty good handle on monies committed, either through pledges or bequests, that were unfulfilled or withdrawn. Whatever that amount was it's shrinking over time. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess as to the level of financial fallout.
I can confirm that my will changed because of the unfair treatment of Joe. Instead of bequeathing 50% of my estate to PSU, it is now zero. While honoring Joe in some way is totally appropriate, what really needs to be done is for PSU to apologize for the way he was fired and admit that he was not complicit in any wrongdoing.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
The thought that the University he loved, and gave so much to, would trash his memory, likely never crossed his mind either. I was not a mega donor but I gave 10's of thousands over 40 years. I will not give another dime until Penn State rights the wrongs they have done here. I am not alone. I have dozens of alumni friends who no longer donate over the treatment of Joe. Generally, like me, not major donors, but average a thousand or more a year per alum. For me, I am not asking for much. Admit mistakes were made. Name the field (Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium) after Joe. Perhaps a few more small gestures.
Agreed. To me these things are like raising children. You simply do not reward bad behavior unless you want it to continue. The BoT cost PSU hundreds of millions, if not billions, that could have gone to worthwhile causes. It is not the alumni and donor class that is failing the university. It is the BoT and ELT.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
I feel much the same- and haven't sent them a dime since they fired Joe. I don't care if they name the field (or anything else) after him, but until they admit that the Freeh report was a sham intended to protect both the BOT and the former AG/Governor PSU is dead to me.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021

It doesn’t matter if it would cross Joe’s mind or not. If people have seen the way the university treated him and decided that is not where their money should go, then that’s a personal decision for them.