FC: interview with Lubrano

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Long before Sandusky...we had deficiencies before and people in the alum chapters pushed back only to be ignored. The scandal just pulled the curtain back on what was known by many beforehand.

Why do you have good governance? One reason is to avoid having any curtain to pull back. PSU= Poor Stewardship University after inviting in the scoundrels = the situation we are in now (a too expensive state university with pigs feeding on it).

Put that in the next marketing campaign Neeli.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Long before Sandusky...we had deficiencies before and people in the alum chapters pushed back only to be ignored. The scandal just pulled the curtain back on what was known by many beforehand.

Why do you have good governance? One reason is to avoid having any curtain to pull back. PSU= Poor Stewardship University after inviting in the scoundrels = the situation we are in now (a too expensive state university with pigs feeding on it).

Put that in the next marketing campaign Neeli.
It has been said before (including by me):

A trustee's job isn't to "defend the university".... the job is to govern the university in such a way that it doesn't need to be "defended".

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
"There would be millions of dollars donated to the NIL and/or the University if they honored JVP."

B.S. ... Urban myth ... false narrative ... great for making excuses not to donate to PSU (academics or athletics). Show me a list of confirmed pledges that are willing to donate "millions" to PSU if they "honor Joe".

All these folks have to do is ask themselves ...

Would Joe Paterno tell these folks ... "don't donate to PSU until they honor me in a big way"?

Laughable to think a thought like that would ever cross Joe's mind.
FWIW Lubrano claimed it's in the 100s of millions in that interview. Who knows what's true. If Lubrano is correct then his best play is to get all of those donors to sign a binding agreement outlining their conditions for making those donations and bring it to the BOT and get something on the record showing that their action/inaction is costing the university at least 9 figures. That is probably the only chance he has to force the BOT's hand. With each passing year that donor amount, and Lubrano's possible corresponding leverage, will grow smaller. Nobody in PSU's top leadership is ever going to want to be the one to push this through given the backlash it will create. Lubrano severely shortchanges the expected backlash in the interview. If naming the field or stadium after Joe happens, the backlash will be swift, loud and come from every major news media outlet.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
FWIW Lubrano claimed it's in the 100s of millions in that interview. Who knows what's true. If Lubrano is correct then his best play is to get all of those donors to sign a binding agreement outlining their conditions for making those donations and bring it to the BOT and get something on the record showing that their action/inaction is costing the university at least 9 figures. That is probably the only chance he has to force the BOT's hand. With each passing year that donor amount, and Lubrano's possible corresponding leverage, will grow smaller. Nobody in PSU's top leadership is ever going to want to be the one to push this through given the backlash it will create. Lubrano severely shortchanges the expected backlash in the interview. If naming the field or stadium after Joe happens, the backlash will be swift, loud and come from every major news media outlet.
Not going to happen. Based on what has been described to me, Lubrano soft-pedaled the degree of opposition from the Administration. Neeli is not going to do anything that puts her next job in jeopardy.

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
I can confirm that my will changed because of the unfair treatment of Joe. Instead of bequeathing 50% of my estate to PSU, it is now zero. While honoring Joe in some way is totally appropriate, what really needs to be done is for PSU to apologize for the way he was fired and admit that he was not complicit in any wrongdoing.
Fairgambit is right....there are 1000's of alumns who graduated over 40 years ago......while our measly $100/month doesn't seem like much.....over a year $1200 times thousands of elder alumns becomes real money..and is a good place to start looking why PSU was 13th in fundraising. It just seems PSU is more interested in protecting/pleasing Erickson, Surma, Second Mile and the Old Guard BOT

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Brandon Short got an MBA from Columbia.

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
I'll put it this way. I highly doubt that I'll be giving a dime to PSU in the future. Instead, we are in the process of endowing a fund at the Indianapolis Zoo to support elephants, and we're over 1/2-way to the $50K required. That money once would have gone to Penn State. Once. And that's real money and a real life example. But only a very little of that is due to what happened with Joe. Most of it is because the administration and the Alumni Association threw the alumni and fans under the bus--and never apologized for that--and because I really cannot trust this board of Trustees and this administration to spend my money wisely and well. And I was once a Chapter President of a fairly important out-of-state chapter. And one who owes great deal in my life to Penn State and the education I received there. But that Penn State is gone.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
My wife and I are both Penn State grads, my sister met her husband while they were at Penn State, my brother met his wife while they were at Penn State, my wife’s sister and her mom are both also alum and her uncle Pete was a professor in the mineral science department for many years. Just in that group there are nine Penn State who no longer donate. there are many other similar families who feel the same, it’s no surprise to me that the fundraising efforts are so low compared to others in the conference.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Imagine what the acceptance rate is for ex-NFL linebackers, without even considering race. The amount of marketing they've gotten out of this is priceless.
CBS doesn't need much in the way of marketing and Brandon Short is not one of its poster children.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Barry, I don’t mean to put you on the spot, so to speak, but given the comments about Short by Lubrano, where it appears Short won’t even work with Lubrano because he thinks Lubrano is a racist (Short also apparently thinks Jay and Sue Paterno are racists) and where you had Alice Pope requesting security at the blue white game last year due to her fear of Short, do you think Short is a cancer on the board to be blunt?

Also, what did you think of Lubrano indicating that Pat Chambers made a real effort to welcome James Franklin to psu and befriended Franklin and his family only to have Franklin decline when Chambers asked for his support during the nonsense that got Chambers fired? Given the perception throughout Franklin’s career that he may not be a sincere person and is really only about himself, do you think this story about Chambers serves to validate that perception in some manner?
Some of those statements were, obviously, personal statements and observations from Trustee Lubrano.

That said, many of the topics he discussed I experienced directly.
I would not have any reason to dispute any of the observations he discussed - and would say that some of them he probably undersold in his interview.

Oct 15, 2021
The university is done with "honor Joe", not gonna happen. The powers that be have decided that it isn't worth the backlash to appease a shrinking minority of hypothetical "donors". They don't name stadiums or fields after disgraced gym teachers, nor should they.

The OGBOT could offer to line up at homecoming halftime and kiss Sue's *** and it wouldn't be enough to please most of the "Honor Joe" crowd, so why try? Just wasted effort. They'll all be dead soon enough and Joe's legacy will be reduced to a couple of lines in the record books.

Latest posts