FC/OT: LSU Women’s Bball coach Kim Mulkey seems worried about an article about to be published…

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Mulkey is a hard person, no doubt. Pat Summitt was too, I’m a Tennessee grad and had friends who played for her. It’s not easy being a top-flight coach, and I do wonder if our experiences with Coach Paterno have given us false expectations of what a coach should be.

For the most part I quit judging people a long time ago, it doesn’t help anything beyond telling yourself “don’t be this person.” As it is, I spend enough time and effort judging myself, just saying.

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Mulkey is a hard person, no doubt. Pat Summitt was too, I’m a Tennessee grad and had friends who played for her. It’s not easy being a top-flight coach, and I do wonder if our experiences with Coach Paterno have given us false expectations of what a coach should be.

For the most part I quit judging people a long time ago, it doesn’t help anything beyond telling yourself “don’t be this person.” As it is, I spend enough time and effort judging myself, just saying.

It’s kind of startling how ‘in front’ of this she is getting. I’m a listen to all sides before making a judgment kind of guy, but this must be pretty bad for her to make a statement like that. These big papers don’t lose defamation suits very often.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
It’s kind of startling how ‘in front’ of this she is getting. I’m a listen to all sides before making a judgment kind of guy, but this must be pretty bad for her to make a statement like that. These big papers don’t lose defamation suits very often.
You can be sure of two things: the Post has their receipts and the story will make Mulkey look like a monster.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
For some reason John Thompson II comes to mind. One time the Post was interviewing his sons Ronnie and John III for a story about Big John. “Do you have any sayings of his to share with our readers?” Ronnie: “That you can print? Nothing comes to mind.” John III “Sorry, I got nothing.” Lol.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Threatening to sue if they print lies. Nothing wrong with that. Or is she trying to get out in front of an article which will be factual?? I have no idea either way. I don't follow women's hoops and never heard of Kim Mulkey until a couple weeks ago following the LSU/USCe fight.

Reactions: bbrown

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Kim is a basketball coach. Pretty damn good at it. As for Brittany Griener, what the hell was she supposed to do?
Perhaps she isn't a candidate for sainthood. So what?
We should be more concerned with exposing the scum on both sides of the aisle in Washington.
No one is stuck with a coach they don’t like anymore. They can portal.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Kim is a basketball coach. Pretty damn good at it. As for Brittany Griener, what the hell was she supposed to do?
Perhaps she isn't a candidate for sainthood. So what?
We should be more concerned with exposing the scum on both sides of the aisle in Washington.
No one is stuck with a coach they don’t like anymore. They can portal.
bread and circuses

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Mulkey is obviously a good coach, but from some stories I’ve heard about her from prominent DC area basketball people, I don’t really think she’s that great of a person.

With regard to the Washington Post though, I can only imagine what the article will be like. I’ve dealt with them at the high school level for over 20 years and they even lie in those articles and hire absolute slime like Heather Dinich. If they’re willing to make up things about high school kids, then they’re definitely willing to make up things about adults.

Last edited:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

Anyone who believes that coaches at that level are or should be all sweetness and light has never met one. Even Joe could be a royal pain. So i guess we'll read just how bad Kim Mulkey can be.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
There is a big difference between defamation and publishing a true story that makes someone look bad. IF she is actually defamed, she'll likely sue.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
There is a big difference between defamation and publishing a true story that makes someone look bad. IF she is actually defamed, she'll likely sue.

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Lanz and Nitt1300

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Mulkey is obviously a good coach, but from some stories I’ve heard about her from prominent DC area basketball people, I don’t really think she’s that great of a person.

With regard to the Washington Post though, I can only imagine what the article will be like. I’ve dealt with them at the high school level for over 20 years and they even lie in those articles and hire absolute slime like Heather Dinich. If they’re willing to make up things about high school kids, then they’re definitely willing to make up things about adults.
It's the timing that gets me. Women's college basketball is at an all time high right now. Any decent journalist would wait until after the tournament.

Reactions: Bison13

WVilleLion23

Oct 27, 2022
I cannot stand the way she acts. I know coaches are on the court all the time, but she seems to be excessive.

I could be wrong, but isn’t she the one that pushed an official out of her way last year on the sideline?

Reactions: Bison13

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
It's the timing that gets me. Women's college basketball is at an all time high right now. Any decent journalist would wait until after the tournament.

Several things:

1. Reporters have no say in when an article gets published. They can advocate for a certain date, or a certain timeframe, but it's up to the editors, the business folks at the paper, and the publisher when an article/series gets published

2. Newspapers may be a public service, but they are also a business. Do you think there would be more interest in an article on Coach Mulkey in August, or during the NCAA Tournament? It makes sense to print it when it will attract the most eyes (which equates to dollars)

3. You don't do investigate reports on an individual to become friends with them. So in addition to the reporter not having a say in when an article/series is published, there is no reason for the reporter(s) or the higher-ups at the paper to delay publishing an article/series due to how they think it may impact the subject (or by extension in this case the team, or the sport)

4. I don't have any sense on how extensive the investigation was to put together this article/series. However, I do know that pieces like this are not like web-based news (newspaper or otherwise), where there is a rush to get an article up as soon as there is a hint of a story. Investigative stories take weeks or months to put together. As such, the Post may have been hoping to publish this 3 months ago, but it took this long to check with sources, make sure they had two confirmations (whenever possible) on any claims, have their editors go over it with a fine-tooth comb to verify anything in the report, and then to have their lawyers go over it to ensure that anything in the report passes legal scrutiny (i.e., doesn't leave them open to a defamation suit)

Last edited:

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Mulkey was a world class player and now one of college basketball's most successful coaches. I don't get the sick obsession with finding flaws in prominent people. She's paid to win. Period. She has what I would call an abrasive tone when dealing with the media. Joe spent Friday nights sipping Old Grandad with writers in the early days. As time wore on, he could not hide his distain for the Corey Giegers.
Heroes are extinct. If we applied today's standards, we would never have had Patton, Eisenhower or Kennedy. Imagine how easily Mantle, Chamberlain and Dimaggio would have been sullied?
To actually blame Mulkey for Griener's mess ( and not acknowledge the utter stupidity of Brittany) rates a big...are you fn kidding me?
Angel Reese is being paid well over 1 million dollars this year. Kim sat her down to get her head screwed back on straight....bravo!
Every coach that has a long tenure, has former players that didn’t buy into their methods. A teacher doesn't reach every student in a class. Boo FN Hoo.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Mulkey was a world class player and now one of college basketball's most successful coaches. I don't get the sick obsession with finding flaws in prominent people. She's paid to win. Period. She has what I would call an abrasive tone when dealing with the media. Joe spent Friday nights sipping Old Grandad with writers in the early days. As time wore on, he could not hide his distain for the Corey Giegers.
Heroes are extinct. If we applied today's standards, we would never have had Patton, Eisenhower or Kennedy. Imagine how easily Mantle, Chamberlain and Dimaggio would have been sullied?
To actually blame Mulkey for Griener's mess ( and not acknowledge the utter stupidity of Brittany) rates a big...are you fn kidding me?
Angel Reese is being paid well over 1 million dollars this year. Kim sat her down to get her head screwed back on straight....bravo!
Every coach that has a long tenure, has former players that didn’t buy into their methods. A teacher doesn't reach every student in a class. Boo FN Hoo.
Do you even know what the accusations are?

Reactions: Nitt1300

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Do you even know what the accusations are?
No. But unless she is a criminal, I really don't care. This isn't high school. Only highly recruited athletes sign with LSU. They have many choices....as did the young ladies at Baylor. I actually had no problem with Bob Knight, until I saw he put hands on a player. Coaching D1 is a results based job. How much credit does James get for winning a lot and running a great program?
Answer, not very much here. Imagine the temerity of a division one coach to be tough and demanding? Outrageous.
My guess is that this hit peace will center around KM's attempts to mitigate the impact of the Baylor football scandal on her program. Damn her.
Another thing, word gets around. If Mulkey was so intolerable, top recruits would go elsewhere. My guess this is a writer who thinks his job is important and she stepped on him/her.
I am old enough (and still resent) what the a-holes in the New York papers did to Roger Maris. His crime? He was a 27 year old from Fargo ND who had the balls to hit 61 home runs. He had no help from Yankee PR or education to understand that writers thought they were the celebrities. People need to stop believing what they read. X is created for people of below average intelligence to absorb and share "ideas." LOL
Bottom line....we are surrounded by idiots.

Reactions: Ironman2

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
No. But unless she is a criminal, I really don't care. This isn't high school. Only highly recruited athletes sign with LSU. They have many choices....as did the young ladies at Baylor. I actually had no problem with Bob Knight, until I saw he put hands on a player. Coaching D1 is a results based job. How much credit does James get for winning a lot and running a great program?
Answer, not very much here. Imagine the temerity of a division one coach to be tough and demanding? Outrageous.
My guess is that this hit peace will center around KM's attempts to mitigate the impact of the Baylor football scandal on her program. Damn her.
Another thing, word gets around. If Mulkey was so intolerable, top recruits would go elsewhere. My guess this is a writer who thinks his job is important and she stepped on him/her.
I am old enough (and still resent) what the a-holes in the New York papers did to Roger Maris. His crime? He was a 27 year old from Fargo ND who had the balls to hit 61 home runs. He had no help from Yankee PR or education to understand that writers thought they were the celebrities. People need to stop believing what they read. X is created for people of below average intelligence to absorb and share "ideas." LOL
Bottom line....we are surrounded by idiots.
all true- except the Post isn't Twitter

maybe wait and see what they have to say

Reactions: OuiRPSU

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
March Madness? The women's tournament first round finished yesterday. Thirty two games and one upset. Where's the madness?

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
And it started about 11 years ago.

And it started about 11 years ago.
Character assassination is always in season and you don't need any sort of license. "All I know is what I read in the papers, and that's the alibi for my ignorance." - Will Rogers. The willingness of people to believe the most salacious stories is absolutely in direct proportion to their low intellect and or lack of curiosity. It's like the Pitters who still parrot the narrative that Joe conspired to protect Jerry Sandusky. LOL