FC/OT: LSU Women’s Bball coach Kim Mulkey seems worried about an article about to be published…

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
No. But unless she is a criminal, I really don't care. This isn't high school. Only highly recruited athletes sign with LSU. They have many choices....as did the young ladies at Baylor. I actually had no problem with Bob Knight, until I saw he put hands on a player. Coaching D1 is a results based job. How much credit does James get for winning a lot and running a great program?
Answer, not very much here. Imagine the temerity of a division one coach to be tough and demanding? Outrageous.
My guess is that this hit peace will center around KM's attempts to mitigate the impact of the Baylor football scandal on her program. Damn her.
Another thing, word gets around. If Mulkey was so intolerable, top recruits would go elsewhere. My guess this is a writer who thinks his job is important and she stepped on him/her.
I am old enough (and still resent) what the a-holes in the New York papers did to Roger Maris. His crime? He was a 27 year old from Fargo ND who had the balls to hit 61 home runs. He had no help from Yankee PR or education to understand that writers thought they were the celebrities. People need to stop believing what they read. X is created for people of below average intelligence to absorb and share "ideas." LOL
Bottom line....we are surrounded by idiots.
Blindly supporting this coach before the story comes out is as ignorant as believing what the story turns out to be before seeing it.
Bobby Knight was an ******* and a bully. He was always an ******* and a bully. Just because a person chooses to play for a particular doesn’t excuse their treatment by that coach.
I will withhold judgment on this coach because I don’t know her and I don’t know what the story will be.

Reactions: Erial_Lion and Lanz

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Blindly supporting this coach before the story comes out is as ignorant as believing what the story turns out to be before seeing it.
Bobby Knight was an ******* and a bully. He was always an ******* and a bully. Just because a person chooses to play for a particular doesn’t excuse their treatment by that coach.
I will withhold judgment on this coach because I don’t know her and I don’t know what the story will be.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Good for you! After reading the hit piece, will you feel confident you know her?

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Good for you! After reading the hit piece, will you feel confident you know her?
I will add it to whatever else I may hear about her. I won’t blindly believe it’s a hit piece just because she’s a coach in the same way that I won’t blindly believe it’s completely true just because the media reported it. You have a pretty strong posting history here of supporting people just because they have the “Coach” title.

Train027

Nov 1, 2021
After handing off to Ike, give em hell Harry drove from DC to Missouri with Bess in his new Chrysler New Yorker. Imagine these bloated (on our money) crooks doing that!
Truman and Hoover became close friends and drove together to the dedication of Hoover’s presidential museum. When they got there they had to relieve themselves but the museum was locked. They broke into it to get to the men’s room.

Train027

Nov 1, 2021
Character assassination is always in season and you don't need any sort of license. "All I know is what I read in the papers, and that's the alibi for my ignorance." - Will Rogers. The willingness of people to believe the most salacious stories is absolutely in direct proportion to their low intellect and or lack of curiosity. It's like the Pitters who still parrot the narrative that Joe conspired to protect Jerry Sandusky. LOL
Always distrust anonymous sources.

Reactions: marshall23

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Truman and Hoover became close friends and drove together to the dedication of Hoover’s presidential museum. When they got there they had to relieve themselves but the museum was locked. They broke into it to get to the men’s room.
They could have just gone around the corner of the building and pissed in the bushes like normal people.

Reactions: VicVaselino

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
I will add it to whatever else I may hear about her. I won’t blindly believe it’s a hit piece just because she’s a coach in the same way that I won’t blindly believe it’s completely true just because the media reported it. You have a pretty strong posting history here of supporting people just because they have the “Coach” title.
I'm okay with that characterization. Especially coaches with a sustained record of success. Coaches are mere mortals, like athletes and officials. Only internet warriors are omniscient and omnipotent.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Several things:

1. Reporters have no say in when an article gets published. They can advocate for a certain date, or a certain timeframe, but it's up to the editors, the business folks at the paper, and the publisher when an article/series gets published

2. Newspapers may be a public service, but they are also a business. Do you think there would be more interest in an article on Coach Mulkey in August, or during the NCAA Tournament? It makes sense to print it when it will attract the most eyes (which equates to dollars)

3. You don't do investigate reports on an individual to become friends with them. So in addition to the reporter not having a say in when an article/series is published, there is no reason for the reporter(s) or the higher-ups at the paper to delay publishing an article/series due to how they think it may impact the subject (or by extension in this case the team, or the sport)

4. I don't have any sense on how extensive the investigation was to put together this article/series. However, I do know that pieces like this are not like web-based news (newspaper or otherwise), where there is a rush to get an article up as soon as there is a hint of a story. Investigative stories take weeks or months to put together. As such, the Post may have been hoping to publish this 3 months ago, but it took this long to check with sources, make sure they had two confirmations (whenever possible) on any claims, have their editors go over it with a fine-tooth comb to verify anything in the report, and then to have their lawyers go over it to ensure that anything in the report passes legal scrutiny (i.e., doesn't leave them open to a defamation suit)
All that you wrote is true. The distraction still sucks for women's college basketball.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Got to know a few D1 WBB coaches in the 82-2000 era. When I was AD, We had 3 girls go full scholarship, Barbara Bootz Georgia, Dolores Bootz Georgia Tech and Jonnah O'Donnell Auburn. Tammy Hohman as well, can't remember the school...Seton Hall I think. One of my best friends Joe Ciampi lost 3 straight NCAA championship finals...he's now if the HOF. It's a rough profession. Lots of pressure and sainthood isn't prevalent.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I'm okay with that characterization. Especially coaches with a sustained record of success. Coaches are mere mortals, like athletes and officials. Only internet warriors are omniscient and omnipotent.
Yet you treat coaches as though they are infallible.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Usually those that threaten to sue never do.
Because the truth is an absolute defense against a defamation suit. Of course, if you knowingly publish/broadcast lies, you may wind up owing 9 figure damages. Ask Rupert about that.

pamdlion

Dec 2, 2021
When/if the article comes out her next outburst will be that she is being targeted because she’s a strong women.

Reactions: Bison13

pamdlion

Dec 2, 2021
Top 3 college basketball coach ever.
Debatable. Wooden and Coack K certainly 1 & 2. Could also argue Rupp, Williams, Smith, Calhoun as 3. Certainly one of the greatest bullies of all time.

Last edited:
Reactions: OuiRPSU

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Would have been fun watching him grab a player today. He would be holding pieces of his jaw or knocked out cold.
That head butt nonsense I posted further up in this thread is a great example. That guy should have gotten out of his seat and flattened him.

Reactions: pamdlion

psu83

Oct 31, 2021
I have no horse in this race so I could care less but the question I have, after reading what I could find, is: the writer has been chasing Mulkey for 2 years for an interview and she's turned him down every time. Wasnt there some way she could have ended his attempts to contact her?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I have no horse in this race so I could care less but the question I have, after reading what I could find, is: the writer has been chasing Mulkey for 2 years for an interview and she's turned him down every time. Wasnt there some way she could have ended his attempts to contact her?

Right - he gave her two years to comment and address things on the record. She refused and is now lawyering up. Tell me you have something to hide without telling me you have something to hide…

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
No. But unless she is a criminal, I really don't care. This isn't high school. Only highly recruited athletes sign with LSU. They have many choices....as did the young ladies at Baylor. I actually had no problem with Bob Knight, until I saw he put hands on a player. Coaching D1 is a results based job. How much credit does James get for winning a lot and running a great program?
Answer, not very much here. Imagine the temerity of a division one coach to be tough and demanding? Outrageous.
My guess is that this hit peace will center around KM's attempts to mitigate the impact of the Baylor football scandal on her program. Damn her.
Another thing, word gets around. If Mulkey was so intolerable, top recruits would go elsewhere. My guess this is a writer who thinks his job is important and she stepped on him/her.
I am old enough (and still resent) what the a-holes in the New York papers did to Roger Maris. His crime? He was a 27 year old from Fargo ND who had the balls to hit 61 home runs. He had no help from Yankee PR or education to understand that writers thought they were the celebrities. People need to stop believing what they read. X is created for people of below average intelligence to absorb and share "ideas." LOL
Bottom line....we are surrounded by idiots.
I don’t need to read the article to know she’s a POS, but I am interested to see what they write about her. It likely won’t be enough to get her canned, but it will likely be enough to solidify my opinion of her. When a team consistently has no class, there’s a good chance that the coach has no class (hello Dawn Staley as well).

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Believe the writer in question also wrote a not so nice article about Brian Kelly a few years ago. She mentioned that in her statement.
The article to which Mulkey referred wasn't about Kelly. It was about LSU, it's priorities, how it treats African Americans, and their existence in the Baton Rouge community. Kelly and his fat contract were used as a counterpoint for comparison. There no was discussion of him per se.

Reading Comp a la La Tech.

Latest posts