FC/OT: New Bond is imminent….

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
He was fantastic as Stringer Bell. That ensemble cast had some excellent actors and actresses in it. Bubbles is one of my all-time favorite characters. Mostly because I knew someone like that and scarily enough someone like Omar.
I liked the fact Omar had a code so to speak. 'I never did no tax paying citizen' or words to that effect

Reactions: bbrown

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
I prefer Matt Helm.
Dean-o!!!

Lolol.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Read them while you can. They are currently being edited to "to accommodate 21st century sensitivities".

Link
What would be the point? Those who would bother reading James Bond novels in the first place aren’t going to be motivated to do so by these sort of changes. Wife wants to go for a walk now, maybe I’ll add more later, maybe not.

Back from walk. Writers have been censored for centuries. At some point you have to let the works speak for theirselves, and try to understand exactly why the authors made the choices they did. I mean, I think it’s obvious that Fitzgerald had never met a Jew before writing The Great Gatsby. Browning wrote an incredibly well-crafted poem about someone murdering a woman because she spurned him; if you take the time to think about it it’s obvious the guy is nuts and maybe impotent. A lot of great writing makes people uncomfortable. Comes with the territory. Best to accept it.

Last edited:

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021
Midnighter: Perhaps we should have a thread where people nominate actresses to play paramours in upcoming Bond movies. Photos would, of course, be de rigeur. (Alternatively, you could create a poll on the subject.) I could not think of an ideal candidate (preferably young, hot, and English), so I Googled "Young English actresses," and the following website popped up. Makes for interesting perusing.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Midnighter: Perhaps we should have a thread where people nominate actresses to play paramours in upcoming Bond movies. Photos would, of course, be de rigeur. (Alternatively, you could create a poll on the subject.) I could not think of an ideal candidate (preferably young, hot, and English), so I Googled "Young English actresses," and the following website popped up. Makes for interesting perusing.

Hmmm….good idea. But don’t most Bond movies have two women? One love interest/partner and the other a seductress he has to sleep with then kill?

PSU_USMC

Jun 20, 2022
Idris Elba aka Luther should be the next bond and it's not even close.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: OptionBob

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021
Hmmm….good idea. But don’t most Bond movies have two women? One love interest/partner and the other a seductress he has to sleep with then kill?
True dat. In that case, we could have a lineup of Russian and/or Eastern European females to play the seductress. If they could whisper a smoky, Russian accented "moose and squirrel," they would have a big leg up for the seductress role.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
True dat. In that case, we could have a lineup of Russian and/or Eastern European females to play the seductress. If they could whisper a smoky, Russian accented "moose and squirrel," they would have a big leg up for the seductress role.

Exhibit A:

And whatever they do, please bring back Ana de Armas…

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
What would be the point? Those who would bother reading James Bond novels in the first place aren’t going to be motivated to do so by these sort of changes. Wife wants to go for a walk now, maybe I’ll add more later, maybe not.

Back from walk. Writers have been censored for centuries. At some point you have to let the works speak for theirselves, and try to understand exactly why the authors made the choices they did. I mean, I think it’s obvious that Fitzgerald had never met a Jew before writing The Great Gatsby. Browning wrote an incredibly well-crafted poem about someone murdering a woman because she spurned him; if you take the time to think about it it’s obvious the guy is nuts and maybe impotent. A lot of great writing makes people uncomfortable. Comes with the territory. Best to accept it.
During the late 60s, Ballantine Books came out with a censored version of Fahrenheit 451, which was marketed to high schools. However, for a period during the 70s, they only published the censored version. After a few years, Bradbury found out and demanded that Ballantine go back to printing the original.

As for the Bond books, I believe that the sex scenes had always been toned down for the US editions, and Fleming himself allowed some of them to be edited for racial language. From what I’ve heard, the new releases have been scrubbed of almost any mention of a character’s ethnicity. A few years back I bought an eBook collection of the fourteen Fleming Bond works. While it does contain some language that would not fly today, I have no idea as to how close they are to the original.

Last edited: