FC: Penn State Football Player Accused of Assaulting Tow Truck Driver

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
N. Myrtle Beach GOUGES every guest, everywhere. Restaurants, shops, beach services are all GOUGES! We pay it because we like to vacation there, but it is a GOUGE!
Yep. Think that is bad go to the Jersey shore, Hilton head, Marco island or st Augustine fl. Then it is cray cray

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021
Yep. Think that is bad go to the Jersey shore, Hilton head, Marco island or st Augustine fl. Then it is cray cray
Totally agree, that’s why I said we pay it because we like to vacation there. We’ve been vacationing there for 33 years.

Reactions: razpsu

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Totally agree, that’s why I said we pay it because we like to vacation there. We’ve been vacationing there for 33 years.
Yep. You know when we go back to state college we eat at the waffle shop and I always say I wish I could charge those prices. 6 bucks for an oj? Get outta town.🤣

• Haha
Reactions: EPC FAN

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
This is not great but not hugely negative either. Lots of immaturity driving escalation (I wrote the book on that back in the day).

No record, not aggravated, my guess is dropped to 3rd degree with steps to expunge (community service, counseling). Probably suspended 2 games, unfortunately for him that probably includes WVU.

Remember, Bobby Engram was kicked off team for burglary, theft and receiving stolen property.

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Guy pulls a metal bar on you, it’s tough to remain calm.
First off, I wouldn’t be physically blocking someone from performing his job, especially if they were likely smaller than me and I was in the wrong.

That said, if the guy was advancing on him with the bar, heck yeah, I wouldn’t expect calmness. If the guy just said stay back or to leave him alone and got in his truck, then no. There was no threat, maybe a bruised ego.

Also, the calmness of Carter is debatable if you go back to that he was blocking the tow guy before there was any bar involved.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
I'd like to see the video. I just don't trust a reporter with his "police wrote" evidence. He refers to the video but every detail he gives is preceded by "police wrote".

Reactions: step.eng69

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I'd like to see the video. I just don't trust a reporter with his "police wrote" evidence. He refers to the video but every detail he gives is preceded by "police wrote".
You don’t want to get things wrong. The particulars will become clear soon enough. At any rate, I trust the board to report their own observations with integrity, saves me time and angst. It all works itself out eventually.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
You don’t want to get things wrong. The particulars will become clear soon enough. At any rate, I trust the board to report their own observations with integrity, saves me time and angst. It all works itself out eventually.
I'm referring to the author of the article, not the board members.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I'm referring to the author of the article, not the board members.
Oh, that part was clear. I brought up the board members in an “I’ll eventually get the straight dope from the board” sense. I’ve learned to give certain threads time to develop. Like you, I’m not going to base any cinclusions on the say-so of this author, who I’ve probably never heard of before.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Oh, that part was clear. I brought up the board members in an “I’ll eventually get the straight dope from the board” sense. I’ve learned to give certain threads time to develop. Like you, I’m not going to base any cinclusions on the say-so of this author, who I’ve probably never heard of before.
Wait…aren’t we supposed to hate and chastise the board members? There’s about 20 other conversations ripping the board and the election process isn’t there?

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
Yes. However, if you read the accounts of it. Carter told the guy he was calling 911 to make sure it was legit and at that point the guy threatened him with a metal bar. The driver isn’t completely innocent here. If he was just doing his job, let Carter make that call and let the police sort it out.

Who says the guy threatened him, Carter?

If I was a tow truck driver like this, I'd have a tire iron in hand as well. They probably get a lot of abuse.

Reactions: Ironman2

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

If I was a tow truck driver like this, I'd have a tire iron in hand as well. They probably get a lot of abuse.
I don’t disagree with you, but that’s a good way to get shot in this day and age. Tire iron vs gun would end badly. My main point was the guy doesn’t appear to try to deescalate the situation. He made it worse.

Reactions: Midnighter

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
This is not great but not hugely negative either. Lots of immaturity driving escalation (I wrote the book on that back in the day).

No record, not aggravated, my guess is dropped to 3rd degree with steps to expunge (community service, counseling). Probably suspended 2 games, unfortunately for him that probably includes WVU.

Remember, Bobby Engram was kicked off team for burglary, theft and receiving stolen property.
Do you think this is the best possible outcome for Carter? Too soon to say, one would suspect.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021

This. Let’s think about this guys work day. He does 8-10 hours fixing cars at his brothers shop then is on call 4 nights a week. Anybody here work this hard? Didn’t think so
son 2 lives in ritt house square he does a c note a month in tickets and got towed once. He never attacked anyone. As I said, parking isn’t a right, it’s a real estate situation

Last edited:
Reactions: Erial_Lion

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
My son wrote me about the incident ….

“Read the article, dad. On video dragging the tow truck driver. Cracked his ribs. Gotta believe that automatic dismissal but never know anymore.”
Maybe you should read the article yourself Injured rib, not ribs.

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
This. Let’s think about this guys work day. He does 8-10 hours fixing cars at his brothers shop then is on call 4 nights a week. Anybody here work this hard? Didn’t think so
son 2 lives in ritt house square he does a c note a month in tickets and got towed once. He never attacked anyone. As I said, parking isn’t a right, it’s a real estate situation
Best he can hope for is charges stopped but the fact that he didn’t brandish a weapon of any type makes me think this will plead out

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Eh, not at all equivalent.

Reactions: LB99

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Agreed. Likely not, but what if it was a suspension for just one game, the opener? That is against WVU on the road. It's a game we would be expected to win, but it is no slam dunk and Carter's presence might make a difference.
Do what everyone else does, suspend him for the first home game.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Maybe you should read the article yourself Injured rib, not ribs.
Really great to hear Bvill, only one rib damaged instead of a couple. Maybe the Court will take that into consideration and send his a$$ to jail for one yr and not two.

"Most simple assaults are classified as a second degree misdemeanor in Pennsylvania. An M2 for simple assault is punishable by up to 2 years in prison. In cases where the simple assault results from a mutual fight, it will be a third degree misdemeanor –or M3, punishable by up to one year in prison."

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Last year Theo Johnson punched a frat dude in the face and gave him a concussion. ARD & community service no game suspensions.

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Sorry - a parking ticket is one thing; a near $300 fee to recover a vehicle is ridiculous. It’s disproportionately punitive - especially to college kids who are actively targeted by predatory companies.
I know I’m not here to school but bro can’t decipher no parking signs? Yet can rock 770 hellcat?

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Last year Theo Johnson punched a frat dude in the face and gave him a concussion. ARD & community service no game suspensions.
I’m curious, any one of these football players “up” punching? You know, fvcking with a guy who may beat his asss?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I know I’m not here to school but bro can’t decipher no parking signs? Yet can rock 770 hellcat?

I checked out this place Aspen - it's way the f*ck off campus. Further away than I used to live when I was on University Drive. It's brand new, and has 651 tenants. The pics show an absolute sh*t ton of parking available, unlike my apartment that had 'first come, first served' parking passes for around half the tenants in our building. I had to park up against a dumpster half the time. Aspen doesn't say how many visitor parking spots it has, but I would think a good bit - it's a massive place (like State College Park when I lived there) with a ton of parking. I mean, not even downtown State College??? Jesus. I'd like to know if someone called the tow truck company to report the parking violation, or if the tow truck company was doing late night drive by's looking for easy cash.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
I’m curious, any one of these football players “up” punching? You know, fvcking with a guy who may beat his asss?
That would be like trying to find a super model in West Virginia….there aren’t too many up punching opportunities for D-1 football players, especially a guy like Abdul Carter.

• Haha
Reactions: LB99

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
So Carter tried to pay the drop fee and was refused? I’m not condoning what he did, but towing is a very dirty business, especially in State College. It was really bad in the 80s when I was there. If it were me, I would have given Carter a break and told him to move his car. I think some people go looking for trouble with PSU football players.

paying the drop fee required Carter provide his name and address, which he refused.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
paying the drop fee required Carter provide his name and address, which he refused.

Nothing in State College Private/Public Towing Ordinance that says he has to provide his name or address when paying a drop fee. I may have missed it, but here is what I found about drop fees in the Ordinance:

No vehicle shall be removed under the authority of this ordinance if, at the time of the intended removal, the owner or custodian of the vehicle is present and expresses a willingness and intention to remove the vehicle immediately.

(a) In these instances, the towing company shall charge no more than the drop fee from the time the wrecker is backed up to the vehicle to be towed to the point that the wrecker is in motion towing the vehicle away. The towing company shall make reasonable accommodations to permit the owner/custodian to obtain payment for the fee charged.

(b) Once the wrecker is in motion with the towed vehicle, the towing company is entitled to the full towing fee listed in § 11-710a. This is not applicable where the vehicle has been immobilized by Borough request for failure to pay accumulated fines and such fines remain unpaid.

According to the story, the car was not fully hooked up or in motion when Carter confronted the tow truck driver. It was only after the tow truck driver asked for name and address, which Carter refused and then proceeded to block the door from the tow truck driver, that the driver went after a metal/crowbar. Sounds like tow truck driver was not providing reasonable accommodation to pay the drop fee IMO. Carter should sue him and the company.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
Nothing in State College Private/Public Towing Ordinance that says he has to provide his name or address when paying a drop fee. I may have missed it, but here is what I found about drop fees in the Ordinance:

No vehicle shall be removed under the authority of this ordinance if, at the time of the intended removal, the owner or custodian of the vehicle is present and expresses a willingness and intention to remove the vehicle immediately.

(a) In these instances, the towing company shall charge no more than the drop fee from the time the wrecker is backed up to the vehicle to be towed to the point that the wrecker is in motion towing the vehicle away. The towing company shall make reasonable accommodations to permit the owner/custodian to obtain payment for the fee charged.

(b) Once the wrecker is in motion with the towed vehicle, the towing company is entitled to the full towing fee listed in § 11-710a. This is not applicable where the vehicle has been immobilized by Borough request for failure to pay accumulated fines and such fines remain unpaid.

as someone pointed out, the apartment isn’t in the borough.

it might be the the towing company rule for all I know, it’s noted in the article.

Latest posts