FC: The Athletic’s 2024 Top CFB Coaches…

BostonNit

Oct 27, 2021
So you’re cool with never winning a big game. I am sure you like participation trophies also. That is boring, and a good way to become Pitt.
Free sodas for everyone at the Beav if you stay until the 4th quarter! I can't wait!

FTLPSU

Oct 6, 2021
How about if you cite some of those “knucklehead” decisions that determined the outcome of those games? The problem IMO opinion is that many posters irrationally blame the coaches, especially Franklin, when the players don’t make plays against superior talent on other teams. This isn’t unique to Penn State; you see it every week where underdogs play close but almost always lose. I remember a coach who won 409 games saying it’s not the Xs and Os but the Jimmies and Joes
Also none of those decisions you mention were decisive in the outcomes of any of those games. Finally stop claiming that your opinions are “facts”.
Apologies for the
How about if you cite some of those “knucklehead” decisions that determined the outcome of those games? The problem IMO opinion is that many posters irrationally blame the coaches, especially Franklin, when the players don’t make plays against superior talent on other teams. This isn’t unique to Penn State; you see it every week where underdogs play close but almost always lose. I remember a coach who won 409 games saying it’s not the Xs and Os but the Jimmies and Joes
Also none of those decisions you mention were decisive in the outcomes of any of those games. Finally stop claiming that your opinions are “facts”.
Apologies for the delay, I was jumping out of C47's last weekend in preparation for the 80th Anniversary of DDAY this June....but we continue on...

What about the Handoff to Miles Sanders on 4th down back in 2018 vs OSU...ran directly at Chase Young's side. Do you think that was Sanders fault? Or are we blaming our lineman for not dominating Young at the PoA? Or do you think the coaching staff should have called a different play wiht higher probability?--cuz 1 coach didnt make that call--I dont believe. In other words dont simply blame JoMo on that one.

Jimmy's & Joes surely help but dont you think with good coaching, great play calling that this closes the gap or even puts our players in a better position to succeed? (Illinois's game plan 21'-that was coaching) There are more just not going to dig through--look at all our close games we have had many--anything within 1 score is close and thats not so simple "Oh well we didnt have enough 4 and 5 star players-really you believe that? Whether its one play, a few drives or throughout the game? I just dont see it from Franklins tenure here. Joe certainly got out coached at times---not a homer. The difference he has a little more currency dont you think? And let me throw the great Saban in there--he lost a handful of games he shouldn't have--cuz he did have the best overall rosters than anyone consistently over the years. His losses were cuz he got outcoached.

If the boards consensus is "How many 4* & 5*'s can we get" and "Do we have more than the opponent?" and you all think its mainly that well then I will conceit to you all that coaching doesn't really matter-and keep my Opinions to myself..

For the record I dont dislike Franklin. I hope he lets AK call the game and be creative...if you all see a different or should i say the same ole stuff this season as we have in the past then well we will all know the facts then.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Apologies for the

Apologies for the delay, I was jumping out of C47's last weekend in preparation for the 80th Anniversary of DDAY this June....but we continue on...

What about the Handoff to Miles Sanders on 4th down back in 2018 vs OSU...ran directly at Chase Young's side. Do you think that was Sanders fault? Or are we blaming our lineman for not dominating Young at the PoA? Or do you think the coaching staff should have called a different play wiht higher probability?--cuz 1 coach didnt make that call--I dont believe. In other words dont simply blame JoMo on that one.

Jimmy's & Joes surely help but dont you think with good coaching, great play calling that this closes the gap or even puts our players in a better position to succeed? (Illinois's game plan 21'-that was coaching) There are more just not going to dig through--look at all our close games we have had many--anything within 1 score is close and thats not so simple "Oh well we didnt have enough 4 and 5 star players-really you believe that? Whether its one play, a few drives or throughout the game? I just dont see it from Franklins tenure here. Joe certainly got out coached at times---not a homer. The difference he has a little more currency dont you think? And let me throw the great Saban in there--he lost a handful of games he shouldn't have--cuz he did have the best overall rosters than anyone consistently over the years. His losses were cuz he got outcoached.

If the boards consensus is "How many 4* & 5*'s can we get" and "Do we have more than the opponent?" and you all think its mainly that well then I will conceit to you all that coaching doesn't really matter-and keep my Opinions to myself..

For the record I dont dislike Franklin. I hope he lets AK call the game and be creative...if you all see a different or should i say the same ole stuff this season as we have in the past then well we will all know the facts then.

Here's a good analysis of the 2018 fourth down. Franklin was trying to play chess with Urban Meyer by bucking his trend of a) letting McSorley run the ball, or b) passing (which the numbers had shown to be the most likely outcomes for PSU on 4th down). But, it's 4th and 5 and you're taking the handoff three yards behind the LOS - so, you need to get 8 yards on a run play, against a top five team, to get a first down. You need to play the high percentages there folks and that wasn't it.

After the snap​

You can see how much penetration that Jones and Young get even before McSorley has handed the ball to Sanders, winning on the outside and the inside to completely blow up the play. The bubble screen is taken away, too, as OSU strong safety Jordan Fuller (black arrow) races to meet Hippenhammer, squared in black. But what if McSorley had immediately thrown to Hippenhammer at the snap? Big Ten Network analyst Gerry DiNardo believes the Nittany Lions would have gained the first down because of the “cushion” Fuller gave the receiver at the snap. “If Trace McSorley throws it to No. 12, he’s going to gain five yards,” DiNardo says. Meyer said after the game that Ohio State anticipated a zone-read, but from the looks of Ohio State’s defensive formation, the Buckeyes were expecting a pass, DiNardo says, and that very well could have scrambled blocking assignments on the offensive line. (After all, DiNardo adds, how often do teams practice run plays against pass looks?)

A presumed third missed assignment is highlighted in the white square, which incorporates left guard Steven Gonzalez and OSU linebacker Malik Harrison. If Young doesn’t make the tackle on Sanders, the unblocked Harrison has a shot, as does linebacker Peter Werner, who a half-second later sheds his block from PSU center Michal Menet (just under the white box). DiNardo notes that the real key to the play is Ohio State DT Jashon Cornell, circled in black, who grabs McGovern, the right guard, opening a hole for the twist from Young. “He’s tackling the guard so the guard can’t block [Young],” DiNardo says. That leaves right tackle Fries (No. 71) responsible, and he’s unable to physically make the play.

This play was doomed every which way, but especially up the middle, where PSU was outnumbered 6–7 in blockers to defenders. That’s probably why Franklin admitted that it was a poor play call afterward.

Reactions: FTLPSU

FTLPSU

Oct 6, 2021
Here's a good analysis of the 2018 fourth down. Franklin was trying to play chess with Urban Meyer by bucking his trend of a) letting McSorley run the ball, or b) passing (which the numbers had shown to be the most likely outcomes for PSU on 4th down). But, it's 4th and 5 and you're taking the handoff three yards behind the LOS - so, you need to get 8 yards on a run play, against a top five team, to get a first down. You need to play the high percentages there folks and that wasn't it.

After the snap​

You can see how much penetration that Jones and Young get even before McSorley has handed the ball to Sanders, winning on the outside and the inside to completely blow up the play. The bubble screen is taken away, too, as OSU strong safety Jordan Fuller (black arrow) races to meet Hippenhammer, squared in black. But what if McSorley had immediately thrown to Hippenhammer at the snap? Big Ten Network analyst Gerry DiNardo believes the Nittany Lions would have gained the first down because of the “cushion” Fuller gave the receiver at the snap. “If Trace McSorley throws it to No. 12, he’s going to gain five yards,” DiNardo says. Meyer said after the game that Ohio State anticipated a zone-read, but from the looks of Ohio State’s defensive formation, the Buckeyes were expecting a pass, DiNardo says, and that very well could have scrambled blocking assignments on the offensive line. (After all, DiNardo adds, how often do teams practice run plays against pass looks?)

A presumed third missed assignment is highlighted in the white square, which incorporates left guard Steven Gonzalez and OSU linebacker Malik Harrison. If Young doesn’t make the tackle on Sanders, the unblocked Harrison has a shot, as does linebacker Peter Werner, who a half-second later sheds his block from PSU center Michal Menet (just under the white box). DiNardo notes that the real key to the play is Ohio State DT Jashon Cornell, circled in black, who grabs McGovern, the right guard, opening a hole for the twist from Young. “He’s tackling the guard so the guard can’t block [Young],” DiNardo says. That leaves right tackle Fries (No. 71) responsible, and he’s unable to physically make the play.

This play was doomed every which way, but especially up the middle, where PSU was outnumbered 6–7 in blockers to defenders. That’s probably why Franklin admitted that it was a poor play call afterward.
Was this the game Sanders fumbled or was that prior year?
Cause we had that WON if not for the Fumble00which was the Players Fault. Only play I remember was truly the players fault.

Reactions: Midnighter