FC: Wawa announces 40 store expansion in Sheetz Central Pa Turf

Hartzie

Oct 31, 2021
I'm all in for Wawa, and after moving full-time to State College, have really missed Wawa. We sometimes got food from Wawa, but we really liked their dairy - the milks, the ice cream, and especially the coffee, which imo is the best coffee of all. Sheetz's coffee is Turrible (capital 'T' on purpose). Wegman's milks are the best available in State College, imo. I hope Wawa plants themselves in State College soon enough. Wasn't there some "gentlemen's agreement" at one time between Wawa and Sheetz to not intrude into each other's territory? Maybe that's just too old-fashioned, and we're now in a different time. Can we blame NIL and open xfers for this?

Interesting to hear that Rutter's is invading the State College area. There is one on the Benner Pike on the way to Bellefonte, but I'm not aware of others. I've never been in a Rutter's, but I have heard good things. We're not frequent fast foodies unless on the road, and we don't pass many Rutter's, it seems.

I heard yesterday that a new, big Rutter's is going to be built near the Blaise-Alexander dealership. I also heard that Rutter's put in a store across the street from Sheetz's CHQ in Altoona.

Shots fired. Let the best chain (i.e. Wawa) win!
Wegmans milks are the best?!? Have you never been to Myers Dairy?

Reactions: Auxgym

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021
WaWa opened a drive-thru west of Allentown. No gas, limited offerings, no restrooms, supposedly cannot walk in. I pass it often. No lines. Doesn’t seem to be a winner.

A Ragin Cajun chicken place is opening soon next door and a very popular, recently remodeled Chick-fil-A across the street. WaWa is very smart about their placements, but this one seems doomed!

Been in several Buc-ees. WOW! Food was good and it’s awesome. Only possible downer is it’s “too” big and busy!
It’s a concept store so it’s really just a test case for what future offerings may look like. Similar to their kiosk-only store in Philly which they had to implement due to retail theft and worker safety. It will be interesting to see what the market will support.

slwlion01

Jul 24, 2023
So happy Wawa is pounding south Florida with new stores. Have a Wawa in my little beach town now of Delray Beach. Place is jammed all the time 24/7. Treat their employees really well. Talking to the employees you get company stock, bonuses, they reimburse you money for college. Why they have so many people working for them and workers who stay there for a long time. Funny story... my friend works for Wawa at corporate. Every now and then he has to go out and manage a store while they train or hire a new manager. He noticed these people who had been there for decades, started working in high school and never left. He asked them do you get tired of making sandwiches, and stocking shelves and want to do something else? Their response was I have $1.5 million in company stock I can cash out whenever I want. I am retiring to Florida within a year a two and will still probably work at a Wawa in Florida... He was amazed how these people had saved up so much money and were smart about it.
Gota love their pretzels. Lived in Philly a few years as a child. Never forgot the pretzels. lol

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Gota love their pretzels. Lived in Philly a few years as a child. Never forgot the pretzels. lol

Philadelphia area soft pretzels are excellent.

Alas, soft pretzels are one of the disappointments at Wawa.

Lion84

Oct 7, 2021
My mother and sister just drove back up to PA. Stopped at Buc-ees in St Augustine. Said it was amazing but almost too big. Also said the food was very good.
Stopped at the one in Florence SC last year on way back from Savannah - never again what a sh&t show - couldn't even get to one of the 500 gas pumps and was hard just to get back on 95 - you would think you were at a Six Flags or something.

Reactions: ODShowtime

Whart

Oct 8, 2021
I grew up in Altoona, HQ for Sheetz. I patronized the first and original Sheetz store. I lived in Downingtown for 13 years and patronized the Wawa down the street from me during that time. And now I live in Georgia and have become familiar with Quiktrip. Hands down, QT is so much better than Sheetz and Wawa IMHO.
My youngest daughter was recruited by QT while in College. She accepted and has been with them for eight years….several promotions etc. QT Corp is very well run with excellent employe benefits….aggressive company match on savings and tuition plans. Having spent part of her early life in Eastern Pa and Avalon. NJ she is quite familiar with both Wawa and Sheetz. Like Wawa, QT is expanding quickly with over 1,000 locations so far.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Link

Buc-ees is opening 100+ gas pump stores that are over 80,000 sq ft in Florida. That is crazy. Is there that much demand for 100+ gas pumps at their stores? If their stores are that big I will stick with Wawa down here. I don't need to walk a marathon traversing Buc-ees for a dozen eggs... 😜

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
So I hear. Son who lives in Austin tells me that the average size of a store is about that of a Target and they typically have 40-50 pumps.

Almost 130 pumps at the Buc-ee's in Sevierville, TN. Stopped there last summer on our way to Wyoming. Only problem was, parking is so crowded folks would get gas and not move their vehicle while they went into the Taj Mahal of convenience stores.

One coming to Mebane, NC - about 40 miles from my house. (For youse uneducated folks, that town is pronounced "Mebbin," not "Me-bane."

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Almost 130 pumps at the Buc-ee's in Sevierville, TN. Stopped there last summer on our way to Wyoming. Only problem was, parking is so crowded folks would get gas and not move their vehicle while they went into the Taj Mahal of convenience stores.

One coming to Mebane, NC - about 40 miles from my house. (For youse uneducated folks, that town is pronounced "Mebbin," not "Me-bane."
Were all the pumps being used? That is nuts to have that many pumps, or maybe not if the demand is there. Is it right off an Interstate? Crazy to think that many people go there for gas and some food.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Were all the pumps being used? That is nuts to have that many pumps, or maybe not if the demand is there. Is it right off an Interstate? Crazy to think that many people go there for gas and some food.

Yes, all pumps were occupied and, yes, it sits off I-40. Buc-ee's is a quasi-religious experience. It's not "just" food - it is leventymillion types of BBQ, jerky, candy, etc., etc., etc. One does not simply stop at a Buc-ee's for gas and go - one must plan on devoting hours to tour and soak up the ambiance. And the restrooms are super-clean, too.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
It’s a little known fact that the Manna from heaven mentioned in Exodus was actually TastyKake’s Jelly Filled Krimpets.

Which is why it took the Israelites 40 years to make it to the Promised Land from Egypt. A lot of sleeping off sugar-induced lethargy.

Reactions: manatree

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
They sell toothbrushes at Wawa's - one bristle on each.
deliverance GIF

• Haha
Reactions: PSU_Lions_84

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
Buc-ees is great but the locations are limited to the interstates. I don't view them as competitors of Sheetz, Wawa and Quiktrip.
Yep. I live in Texas which is prime Bucee's territory, but the closest one to me isn't close at all. It's a place to stop on a road trip between cities whereas Wawa and Sheetz are usually right in the heart of their local communities. A trip to the closest Buccee's for me would be almost 2 hours round trip.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Meh, maybe by PA standards. It's OK, but I'd never refer to Bucce's BBQ as anything better than average by Texas standards.
ehhh I liked it. And also I lived in TX so i do know good bbq when I taste it. Is it the best? No I never said it was but its pretty good and its better than any fast food version.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
We've had Sheetz in northcentral NC for about a decade.

Yeah the closest one to Fayetteville when I moved down here in ‘09 was at RDU. Nothing closer since. then in the last 2 years they’re popping up everywhere. They JUST built one at our exit off of 95 a month ago

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Yeah the closest one to Fayetteville when I moved down here in ‘09 was at RDU. Nothing closer since. then in the last 2 years they’re popping up everywhere. They JUST built one at our exit off of 95 a month ago

Come to the Triad - lots of Sheetz places up here.

I spent 3.5 years in the FayetteNam area quite a few years ago, Good times! Been back in the area a couple times, but not recently.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
I ordered some of Buc-ees Beaver Nuggets. They are glorified Sugar Pops cereal. Meh. Folks getting orgasmic about jerky and snacks is just plain weird.

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
Come to the Triad - lots of Sheetz places up here.

I spent 3.5 years in the FayetteNam area quite a few years ago, Good times! Been back in the area a couple times, but not recently.

Wife would love to move closer to Raleigh, but we both work on Bragg and have no desire to deal with harnett county schools for our kids.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I’d like for there to be a Buckees (mega convenience store in the south) in PA. I think the closest may be Tennessee.

Reactions: UncleRoyBiggins