Finally, we offer Jarquez Hunter

jdbulldog

Junior
Oct 27, 2007
2,594
368
83
Neshoba Central running back and linebacker. He is a prolific athlete with a work ethic and commitment hardly ever seen of a young man his age. On top of that he is as fine a young man as any you will see. I am unsure of our chances to sign. He has multiple offers.
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,591
8,570
102
I know he's very good but I've not paid attention to recruiting to the extent to what he's projected to play in college. Will it be Offense or Defense?
 

Ralph Cramden

Redshirt
Jan 7, 2020
2,696
0
0
Kinda short to play linebacker. I would be very surprised if he moves to safety. Maybe you forgot your sarcasterisks.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Kinda short to play linebacker. I would be very surprised if he moves to safety. Maybe you forgot your sarcasterisks.
Cooter thinks he’s the only one who knows a thing or two about what’s going on in and around the program (and AD for that matter).
 

Cooterpoot

Redshirt
Aug 29, 2012
4,239
2
0
Cooter thinks he’s the only one who knows a thing or two about what’s going on in and around the program (and AD for that matter).
.

You're welcome to discuss him. And the AD.
I also support Initiative 65.
 
Last edited:

Ralph Cramden

Redshirt
Jan 7, 2020
2,696
0
0
Every player anyone mentions you say is gonna play safety. Looks like we will have about 9 safeties in the 2021 class. 5'10" 200 # and yes he has several offers. All at safety no doubt tho.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
Well, that's what he is. He's not an SEC RB. It's not like he's got a bunch of SEC RB offers either.

To be fair, I don’t think the offense that we now run really requires a traditional “SEC RB” anyway. If he can catch, run routes, and pick up the occasional blitzing LB then that’s about 95% of what he would need to do.
 

Cooterpoot

Redshirt
Aug 29, 2012
4,239
2
0
To be fair, I don’t think the offense that we now run really requires a traditional “SEC RB” anyway. If he can catch, run routes, and pick up the occasional blitzing LB then that’s about 95% of what he would need to do.

He's a stud Safety. Was leaning to Vandy because they're his only P5 RB offer. I think he'll move to safety. He's not as good as the RBs we've got but things could change in that RB room.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Sorry for the slight thread hijack but that size reminded me of Ashley Cooper who was one of the greatest defensive Bulldogs of All-Time that played the DOG safety position (LB/SS) at 5'10 210 lbs. That 99 defense had 4 first team All-SEC players. Cooper, Bean, Smoot and Simpson.
 

Ralph Cramden

Redshirt
Jan 7, 2020
2,696
0
0
I wonder when he became a stud safety ? I guess that was determined from his playing time at outside linebacker ? Did Auburn and Ole Miss offer him as a safety ? Guess we are gonna have to wait and see on this one. Tho we probly won't get him anyway.
 

jdbulldog

Junior
Oct 27, 2007
2,594
368
83
I wonder when he became a stud safety ? I guess that was determined from his playing time at outside linebacker ? Did Auburn and Ole Miss offer him as a safety ? Guess we are gonna have to wait and see on this one. Tho we probly won't get him anyway.

J really wants to play RB. I would bet he is the strongest RB in MS and I would bet he has the highest vertical of any RB in MS. He just wants a chance to have the ball in his hands. He would, however, make an outstanding DB.
 

Cooterpoot

Redshirt
Aug 29, 2012
4,239
2
0
I wonder when he became a stud safety ? I guess that was determined from his playing time at outside linebacker ? Did Auburn and Ole Miss offer him as a safety ? Guess we are gonna have to wait and see on this one. Tho we probly won't get him anyway.

It's called a projection and it's what everyone has offered. That's why he was leaning Vandy. He'll get his shot at RB, but he's a borderline RB prospect and we've already got one of those committed. We're still recruiting a stud RB OOS that we want bad. But like ddog said, he's a hard working kid that wants to chase his dream of RB. Those kids like that can sometimes make it happen. I'm not knocking him at all. Just telling you the thoughts most have on him.
 
Last edited:

aTotal360

Heisman
Nov 12, 2009
22,559
16,355
113
The consensus is he will make a helluva safety, but really wants to play RB. His physical style of running isn't sustainable IMO. I think he'll be lured in by a school that tells him he will play RB, then he'll be pushed to safety if he wants early playing time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Basketball Recruiting 5-star AJ Williams details his official visits and where things stand with UNC, BYU & Arkansas as the early signing period nears
  2. 02 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  5. 05 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar