For those wanting baseball tickets

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
If an upper deck was built down left field and right field with chair backs.....

A. What would you pay for season tickets for the year (ticket and donation)?

B. What would you pay for say 1/3 of the games (mixture of non conference and conference)?

C. Same as B but half the games?

D. Would you be willing to commit to say 3 to 5 years?

Seems like this could help solve some “problems” if people are willing to pay.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
I was a season ticket holder in the old stadium, but didn't renew for the new (many reasons, family, etc.). I am also totally happy coming to OOC games and less-crowded SEC games and buying a GA ticket, which involves standing at times. I've also never had a connection in the LFL.

All that to say......I see all sides. And I don't think you're going to get an answer here, because our 'average joe GA fans' are incredibly selfish. I have no idea why they think cheap tickets should be available that come with 'a seat'. These same people complained about bleachers too. I personally think the standing rails or whatever is the best idea in the whole place. You can see the game from anywhere.

Adding a huge bleacher area looks like crap and adds nothing to atmosphere. Look at LSU and Arkansas....turrrrible.

And yes, I've been known to give away tickets and yes, I've given you hell about selling yours', but that's just my idealism coming out, I always tried to help people get in the door because I wanted to do my part to get crowds, especially when they were waning at the end of the Polk Error. But with demand the way it is, people should be willing to pay for the grandstand seats, that's just the way it is.
 
Last edited:

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
I’ve given away lots of tickets including club level, but I’m not giving **** away to people who expect that!

But I’m genuinely curious as to whether the people bitching abt no seating would pay for small packages at a slight premium compared to season tickets. Price per would go up but they’d spend less money total.

But like you I’m sure they still wouldn’t like that. They want a $10 ticket to any random game they choose and to have a seat.
 

Coast Dawg

Redshirt
Feb 28, 2008
364
0
0
But I’m genuinely curious as to whether the people bitching abt no seating would pay for small packages at a slight premium compared to season tickets. Price per would go up but they’d spend less money total.
.


Not buying season tickets but paying a premium for games they can/want to attend.

Isn’t that similar to using a ticket exchange or other online versions (stub hub, etc)


Ideally more season ticket holders would post their unused tickets throughout the year (that seems to be an issue). If a ticket exchange is ran properly, the university would make additional revenue from it. It’s the administrative fees of the tickets changing hands. I know the Saints do very well with these fees through Seat Geek.
 

bulldogcountry1

Redshirt
Jun 4, 2007
2,311
1
38
I would be curious to see how many fans would commit to chair back season tickets after experiencing the new dude and the realities of the current seating situation. It would be an easy thing for the AD to do.

Bottom line is that we just didn’t factor in any GA seating in the new stadium at all. That was a big mistake. Who builds a new stadium like that? I realize we didn’t have a blank check, but more could have been done to at least prepare the foundation for expansion to make it cheaper and easier to do so in the future. We don’t seem to have done anything like that.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
I would be curious to see how many fans would commit to chair back season tickets after experiencing the new dude and the realities of the current seating situation. It would be an easy thing for the AD to do.

Bottom line is that we just didn’t factor in any GA seating in the new stadium at all. That was a big mistake. Who builds a new stadium like that? I realize we didn’t have a blank check, but more could have been done to at least prepare the foundation for expansion to make it cheaper and easier to do so in the future. We don’t seem to have done anything like that.
Yes, we did. It's called berms/terraces. We were trying to be like Ole Miss, but bottom line we just don't have the space to do them right.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
Well the mini packages seem to work well in football.

It gives fans the option to spend less money, but the athletic department gets a full commitment.

But yes the same people griping abt not enough options for general admin seating also gripe abt $30 tickets on stub hub.
 

MittRomney

Redshirt
Nov 6, 2012
229
9
18
I think there’s money being left on the table...

You have the potential to attract thousands more casual fans per year if there’s an option to buy tickets and have a seat.

Say $30 per seat plus $15 concessions would be an extra $45 the AD would make per seat for a given game. Multiply that by a few thousand and it’d be a nice chunk for a 3 game series. Either get $0.00 from that guy or $45. Money left on the table. Also likely to spend money on shirts, hats, etc.

Residual benefit is you create more fans that want season tickets. If they bring kids, your locking in the next generation of fans and potential season ticket holders.

I understand the season ticket thing and the cost of the stadium. I know that’s the bulk of revenue, but think general admission seats could supplement revenue if done correctly. MLB parks do it and seem to be doing fine.

During midweek or when demand is down, cover with baseball logo or something to hide the unused sections.
 

rynodawg

Senior
May 29, 2007
1,170
418
83
I would get 2 or 3 seats, with no more than 5 year commitment. For price 50% of whatever the high demand sections behind home plate pay seems fair.

Did not reserve seats pre-expansion because a 10 year commitment is a bit much, and at the time it was still unclear what the final stadium layout would look like. I was hoping some single year options in sections far down the baseline would open up (or options less than 10 years) but it didn’t pan out that way.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
$45 times 2000 times 15 games (a stretch considering the tight asses around here)
$1.35/year times 6 years. $8,000,000. Would that pay for 2000 more chairbacks?
 

thatsbaseball

All-American
May 29, 2007
18,365
7,398
113
I guess I'm an "avg Joe GA fan" in that I don't have season tickets now but I would gladly pay the asking price (whatever that is) for some decent seats on the few weekends (or weekdays) that we can come. Some people would probably be surprised at what they could get for tickets if they were made available.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
I honestly can’t remember what the details of the “10 year commitment” were, but I’m pretty sure I can not get baseball tickets next year and won’t owe money.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
But I’m guessing if there are 1000 plus fans like you they’d be willing to expand sooner rather than later.

Say $500 all in for 1 ticket down the line in the upper deck.
 

cowbell88

All-Conference
Jan 11, 2009
3,365
1,095
113
GA-SRO/berms-$10

GA- Bleacher (future new additions). Upper half of upper deck sections added down baselines above the concourses- $20

GA Reserved Chair Back (bottom half of new additions mentioned above)- sold in 3 game weekend series sets for $30/seat/game if ordered by 5 pm Wednesday of game week.

Unsold GA Reserved Chair Backs go on sale 2 hrs before first pitch for $50/seat/game.
 

Trojanbulldog19

All-American
Aug 25, 2014
10,134
5,914
113
I was a season ticket holder in the old stadium, but didn't renew for the new (many reasons, family, etc.). I am also totally happy coming to OOC games and less-crowded SEC games and buying a GA ticket, which involves standing at times. I've also never had a connection in the LFL.

All that to say......I see all sides. And I don't think you're going to get an answer here, because our 'average joe GA fans' are incredibly selfish. I have no idea why they think cheap tickets should be available that come with 'a seat'. These same people complained about bleachers too. I personally think the standing rails or whatever is the best idea in the whole place. You can see the game from anywhere.

Adding a huge bleacher area looks like crap and adds nothing to atmosphere. Look at LSU and Arkansas....turrrrible.

And yes, I've been known to give away tickets and yes, I've given you hell about selling yours', but that's just my idealism coming out, I always tried to help people get in the door because I wanted to do my part to get crowds, especially when they were waning at the end of the Polk Error. But with demand the way it is, people should be willing to pay for the grandstand seats, that's just the way it is.

Goat I couldn’t disagree with you more about this. Did run down cars and trailers snd bleachers kill the atmosphere that made college baseball what it is?We were the Carnegie hall before the new dude was built. Lots of people made dnf what it was and is without grandstand seating and a walk around standing rail.

Most big parks In America have seating for almost every fan in attendance not rails not SRO. There is nothing wrong with bleachers in a baseball stadium. Some of y’all have forgotten that. Get off you 17ing pedestals. Jesus. There is nothing wrong with adding nicer bleacher to the stadium. Heaven forbid it makes you feel bad when you see if on camera at the game.
 

Dawgg

Heisman
Sep 9, 2012
10,535
10,793
113
Realistically, I just want to drive my girlfriend and my kids from Dallas,TX to Starkville,MS for a couple of weekend games during the season and be able to have a place where they can sit and eat and enjoy the game without spending $600 on tickets. I’m not saying chairbacks, but knowing I have a place to sit would be nice.

If it’s just me and another adult, we could do SRO, but taking kids to an SRO situation is a nightmare and in a lot of ways ruins the idea of going to future games for them.

Maybe that makes me “selfish average Joe GA fan”, but I don’t think what I’m describing should be an exorbitant ask for going to a college baseball game.

I’ve been against the berms from the beginning. They’re a trendy idea where style overtakes functionality. A lot of baseball stadiums in Texas have them and they’re ****** here too. Baylor has a giant *** hill lining right field and you can’t see ****.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,681
12,382
113
Its pretty interesting to remember back at all of the bitchin about those "hot aluminum bleachers", the "poor sight lines", "my back and and butt hurt after only 3 innings", etc. Now most GA buyers would gladly sit on those instead of grassy slopes that they have to line up for an hour or more early for and run to get instead of buying a numbered aluminum bleacher seat.
 
Sep 25, 2013
1,627
0
0
If an upper deck was built down left field and right field with chair backs.....

A. What would you pay for season tickets for the year (ticket and donation)?

B. What would you pay for say 1/3 of the games (mixture of non conference and conference)?

C. Same as B but half the games?

D. Would you be willing to commit to say 3 to 5 years?

Seems like this could help solve some “problems” if people are willing to pay.

I want season tickets and I’m willing to pay whatever everyone else pays for them. I’ve got a group of about 10 that feel the same. I don’t want special treatment or to just be able to pick and choose which game I can get a chairback. I just want the opportunity to purchase season tickets. I had no idea that season tickets would literally be unavailable to anyone outside of those who wanted them 4 years ago for the next decade. I was not even in the country at that time.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
There are people like you but there are lots of people who won’t pay $25 to $35 for a ticket to even a big game. And then they ***** abt not having options.

Which is unbelievable to me.
 

paindonthurt_

All-Conference
Jun 27, 2009
9,528
2,046
113
That’s fair and I think you’ll get the chance soon enough but you are likely going to have to make a multi year commitment when that time comes.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
But I’m guessing if there are 1000 plus fans like you they’d be willing to expand sooner rather than later.

Say $500 all in for 1 ticket down the line in the upper deck.

The amount I would pay would be inversely proportional to the commitment. One year, no strings attached, maybe $450 - $500 per seat makes sense. You want me to make a multi-year commitment? There needs to be a per season discount based on the length of the commitment. There has to be an incentive for the buyer to not just go year to year, because regardless they are getting first dibs on a renewal. $450 per season for one year commitment, $400 per season for 3 year commitment, $350 per season for 5-year commitment might be a good framework.

Honestly, that seems to be the best way to approach it. Variable commitments across the board available to everyone....with discount incentive for making a longer commitment. Doesn’t have to be the exact numbers above, that’s just an example. This solves the problem of alienating fans who aren’t in a place in life to make a huge decade long commitment, while allowing those who are in such a position to do so and create a better price point for themselves.
 
Last edited:

Jddrew1142

Redshirt
Sep 9, 2015
154
0
16
This is where you arrogant 17s are completely wrong. I would love a package where i had a guaranteed seat for 1/3 of the games. That would be perfect. Those people would probably do much better at selling the ones they cant use because it wouldn't be rich people who think if they cant go then nobody deserves to sit there.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
You have the potential to attract thousands more casual fans per year if there’s an option to buy tickets and have a seat.

Say $30 per seat plus $15 concessions would be an extra $45 the AD would make per seat for a given game. Multiply that by a few thousand and it’d be a nice chunk for a 3 game series. Either get $0.00 from that guy or $45. Money left on the table. Also likely to spend money on shirts, hats, etc.

Residual benefit is you create more fans that want season tickets. If they bring kids, your locking in the next generation of fans and potential season ticket holders.

I understand the season ticket thing and the cost of the stadium. I know that’s the bulk of revenue, but think general admission seats could supplement revenue if done correctly. MLB parks do it and seem to be doing fine.

During midweek or when demand is down, cover with baseball logo or something to hide the unused sections.

They are already getting $10 for all of those people paying for the current GA seating. So it's only an additional $120 a year for a seat. You might get a decent folding chair for that.
 

Eleven Bravo

Junior
Aug 31, 2018
625
283
63
The stadium was financed based upon people making a 10-year commitment to buy tickets every year. There was ample time for people to pledge to making the commitment and we ended up with what we ended up with. The stadium isn’t going to be enlarged just to satisfy 1000-1500 people who are demanding tickets for a couple of games per year. There are only a few times per year when demand exceeds supply.
 
Sep 25, 2013
1,627
0
0
That’s fair and I think you’ll get the chance soon enough but you are likely going to have to make a multi year commitment when that time comes.

I’m fine with that, although I do think that not having anywhere for GA to sit was a mistake. Bleachers are fine and I think that should have been done instead of the berms but that’s a small complaint.
 

MittRomney

Redshirt
Nov 6, 2012
229
9
18
Not exactly.

They are already getting $10 for all of those people paying for the current GA seating. So it's only an additional $120 a year for a seat. You might get a decent folding chair for that.

They are getting $10 per ticket from those willing to stand and try to find a gap to see the game. Like someone mentioned, impossible if you have kids. Anecdotal, but I know several who dread going now because of the seating issue. Some have basically written it off. Sad to see a traditional non-revenue sport run fans off unnecessarily. If there was an option for casual fans to have a seat, there would be a lot more fans. Would think that would lead to more revenue. People=money.

Would be more than $120 per year per seat. Using $30-$10=$20. That’d only be 6 games. Would probably have most sold for SEC games plus concessions and merchandise. Also broadening the fan base, which is good for revenue too.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
With demand so high, why would they drop the price?

The price should by all means suit the demand. I’m not sure anyone has a good pulse on what the unserved season ticket demand actually is, other than that it is certainly not zero. I was just spitballing what personally made sense to me as an individual potential buyer, and also offered up a compromise suggestion that might be desirable to multiple buyers. More in the hypothetical sense anyway, since I don’t really live close enough to Starkville to take advantage of season tickets even if I could get them for dirt cheap.
 
Jan 9, 2016
2,353
342
83
I’m fine with that, although I do think that not having anywhere for GA to sit was a mistake. Bleachers are fine and I think that should have been done instead of the berms but that’s a small complaint.

Sorry Camp, I Fat Fingered you an up vote. Agree with not enough GA seats but metal bleachers aren’t the answer. Larger grass berms and more chair backs up top down the lines are the answer.

More grass berms??? Where da hell we gunna put’em?? I don’t know but they look way better than metal bleachers. And berms don’t draw heat like metal bleachers.

I’d be willing to purchase 2-4 season tickets for $600-$700 per seat (all in) with a 5 yr commitment.
 
Last edited:
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Players to Know
  2. 02 Rivals Football Recruiting No. 16 Mississippi State hosts Alabama with a 2027 flip target, two elite QBs and other top prospects visiting
  3. 03 Rivals Football Recruiting How strong is CB Julian McDonald’s Mississippi State commitment with LSU still pushing?
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State QB Kamario Taylor named Davey O'Brien National QB of the Week
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "No Panic": Mississippi State S Jardin Gilbert on experience and adaptability on defense