FSU blaming everybody

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
But themselves. In all their posturing and saber-rattling I have not once heard them acknowledge any culpability for being in their current predicament. Every ACC school eagerly signed onto their current deal which includes the GOR. I recall the various programs hailing it at the time as something of a landmark deal which would secure the position of the ACC. NOW they go out there and whine and complain about it as if they are being unjustly oppressed by something that was thrust upon them against their will and against which they had no power. Nobody twisted their arm or compelled them to sign that deal. They all jumped at it. Whose fault is it that they didn't have any foresight? Further, they keep blaming the conference as if it is some entity other than the collection of schools who make up the ACC.

I don't know how old their president, AD and BOT members are, but this is attitude is so characteristic of our current society: blame everyone but yourself for the choices you made and hen expect others to remedy the consequences of your poor choices.

Was the ACC media deal a bad deal to make? Yeah. It was financially strong at the time, but the landscape changed and that was the risk in signing a 20 year deal. It's on you and nobody else.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
I think a lot of it is gamesmanship. They do come across as whiny little brats, but it feels like they're just trying to attack every angle to see if they can get out of what is now a terrible deal. I hope they have to take out a loan though - that would be pretty funny.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
But themselves. In all their posturing and saber-rattling I have not once heard them acknowledge any culpability for being in their current predicament. Every ACC school eagerly signed onto their current deal which includes the GOR. I recall the various programs hailing it at the time as something of a landmark deal which would secure the position of the ACC. NOW they go out there and whine and complain about it as if they are being unjustly oppressed by something that was thrust upon them against their will and against which they had no power. Nobody twisted their arm or compelled them to sign that deal. They all jumped at it. Whose fault is it that they didn't have any foresight? Further, they keep blaming the conference as if it is some entity other than the collection of schools who make up the ACC.

I don't know how old their president, AD and BOT members are, but this is attitude is so characteristic of our current society: blame everyone but yourself for the choices you made and hen expect others to remedy the consequences of your poor choices.

Was the ACC media deal a bad deal to make? Yeah. It was financially strong at the time, but the landscape changed and that was the risk in signing a 20 year deal. It's on you and nobody else.
Shorter term and guaranteed right of renewal would have been preferable.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This was a statement from Clemson's president at the time: "The ACC is a great conference, and this increases the national exposure, brings in additional revenue and offers greater opportunity for student-athletes. For us and the Florida States and others, it stabilizes the conference long term."

I see no trepidation, uneasiness or concern about the long-term financials there. It was a victory lap.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think a lot of it is gamesmanship. They do come across as whiny little brats, but it feels like they're just trying to attack every angle to see if they can get out of what is now a terrible deal. I hope they have to take out a loan though - that would be pretty funny.

Definitely gamesmanship.

I'd be more on their side if they said something along the lines of "At the time we signed it, it seemed like a great deal, and indeed, it was a great deal at that time. But the landscape has shifted dramatically. While we voluntarily agreed to this deal, we are looking at all avenues to address the revenue disparity."

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Definitely gamesmanship.

I'd be more on their side if they said something along the lines of "At the time we signed it, it seemed like a great deal, and indeed, it was a great deal at that time. But the landscape has shifted dramatically. While we voluntarily agreed to this deal, we are looking at all avenues to address the revenue disparity."
Yes. Coachspeak. We all know it, we hate it at times, but its what us called for in these situations.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Big JC

May 12, 2023
FSU is the really hot 24 yr old girl who married the good looking popular guy with the nice car and a smooth line about how rich he was going to be. Now, it is 10 years later, she has gained 30 pounds and the guy has turned out to be a guy who can't hold a job and all of their neighbors are doing better than they are and she wants a divorce so she can marry a doctor. When she looks in the mirror, she still sees the hot 24 yr old and she thinks everyone else sees here that way too.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I'm neither advocating or dismissing the position of FSU, and I take your point, but to be fair both the President and the AD of FSU were hired in 2021. Neither of them had any participation in the ACC agreements at the time.

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I'm advocating or dismissing the position of FSU, and I take your point, but to be fair both the President and the AD of FSU were hired in 2021. Neither of them had any participation in the ACC agreements at the time.

That is a fair point, but I assume the BOT had to rubber stamp any decision like this, so I see it as an institutional decision.

But I guess it would be in poor taste to trash their predecessors and you don't want to piss off the BOT by trashing them for allowing the decision, so all you can do is blame the ACC (even though the ACC is nothing more than the collection of schools who make up the ACC).

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I'm advocating or dismissing the position of FSU, and I take your point, but to be fair both the President and the AD of FSU were hired in 2021. Neither of them had any participation in the ACC agreements at the time.
While true, they took the job knowing what they were walking into. If they didn't, shame on them. There are other programs in the same boat in the ACC, and they're not running around throwing tantrums like children.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
FSU is the really hot 24 yr old girl who married the good looking popular guy with the nice car and a smooth line about how rich he was going to be. Now, it is 10 years later, she has gained 30 pounds and the guy has turned out to be a guy who can't hold a job and all of their neighbors are doing better than they are and she wants a divorce so she can marry a doctor. When she looks in the mirror, she still sees the hot 24 yr old and she thinks everyone else sees here that way too.
FSU is the most over hyped team in the country this year. It would be so freakin' sweet to see them go 6-6 or 7-5 after all the chest thumping they've done about how great they are, and how they deserve better.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
How FSU did not have the sense to realize that the ACC deal would be the "base" that other conferences would start from is a head shaker. Their whining is getting old.

Reactions: wob

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
While true, they took the job knowing what they were walking into. If they didn't, shame on them. There are other programs in the same boat in the ACC, and they're not running around throwing tantrums like children.
I've taken positions where the initial situation was less than ideal, and I knew exactly what challenges lay ahead of me. There is no doubt that those 2 individuals knew the same. Obviously, they are trying to make changes to benefit their institution, and if they feel by going vocal they may get more momentum to make the changes, then that is their prerogative. I won't fault them for that

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
FSU is the most over hyped team in the country this year. It would be so freakin' sweet to see them go 6-6 or 7-5 after all the chest thumping they've done about how great they are, and how they deserve better.

I tend to agree. They started 4-3, losing to 3 ranked teams in a row. They faced one team with a winning record the rest of the season (Syracuse). Just hard to say given the nature of their schedule.

Hobcawcreekcock

Joined Dec 10, 2000 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 22, 2022
This was a statement from Clemson's president at the time: "The ACC is a great conference, and this increases the national exposure, brings in additional revenue and offers greater opportunity for student-athletes. For us and the Florida States and others, it stabilizes the conference long term."

I see no trepidation, uneasiness or concern about the long-term financials there. It was a victory lap.
THIS, in case it hasn’t already been done, needs to be sitting on the desk of SEC Commissioner, Sankey!!!

Reactions: athenscock3

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I tend to agree. They started 4-3, losing to 3 ranked teams in a row. They faced one team with a winning record the rest of the season (Syracuse). Just hard to say given the nature of their schedule.
They were extremely fortunate to win that LSU game. That was a wild finish.

IOPGCock

Jan 30, 2022

Oppression seems to be working in the rest of Western society, so why not try it?

Seriously though, you’re right. I think it would play better if they said we screwed up but we’re still moving on.

IOPGCock

Jan 30, 2022
Right! But if she could lose the 30 pounds? Just sayin’ she’d still have a shot or two.

IOPGCock

Jan 30, 2022
I've taken positions where the initial situation was less than ideal, and I knew exactly the what challenges lay ahead of me. There is no doubt that those 2 individuals knew the same. Obviously, they are trying to make changes to benefit their institution, and if they feel by going vocal they may get more momentum to make the changes, then that is their prerogative. I won't fault them for that
Yeah! Saber rattling has never worked before in history.

Who cares how petulant they look now if they do get out in 2-3 years. No one will remember.

Horseshoe04

Joined Jan 5, 2014
Jan 21, 2022
I also heard the Seminole tribe never surrendered or signed the treaty with the US government.
This all makes sense in the world for their current tactics

Reactions: Lurker123

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Here’s the thing, all theatrics aside, for FSU or anyone else who wants to leave the conference they need to have two nonnegotiable things: 1. A cost effective way of leaving and 2. A place to go. if they had those two things, they would just do it. If you want to leave and you can leave and you have a place to go, what is there to talk ablut?

if I was the ACC commish I wouldn’t even be breaking a sweat right now. If they’re talking, it means they have no options.

In fact, there is an inverse relationship between the amount of talking they do and the chances they have of getting out.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaboSits2PeePee

athenscock3

Feb 7, 2022
I like FSU right where they are. Competing with the Clemmers for the 2nd rate ACC trophy. They are recruiting Georgia high schools lights out and I hope they get competetive with and over take the clemmers for that little ACC thingie.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
This situation is similar to OU/UT. They knew they could get a bigger bag in the SEC than B12. But they also knew they were under a GOR. In the B12 it was OU/TX and everyone else….more so than Clem/FSU In the ACC, but still similar in that regard.

The B12 TV deal they got out of was not as lucrative as the ACC deal. OU/UT paid $100M EACH to get out of their GOR just one year prior to its term date. The ACC has 13 years left on a bigger TV contract. Conventional wisdom and common sense says there’s no way they’re just going to raise money to get out. It’s just not happening. The SEC wasn’t going to take OU/UT until they got out of the GOR deal.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This situation is similar to OU/UT. They knew they could get a bigger bag in the SEC than B12. But they also knew they were under a GOR. In the B12 it was OU/TX and everyone else….more so than Clem/FSU In the ACC, but still similar in that regard.

The B12 TV deal they got out of was not as lucrative as the ACC deal. OU/UT paid $100M EACH to get out of their GOR just one year prior to its term date. The ACC has 13 years left on a bigger TV contract. Conventional wisdom and common sense says there’s no way they’re just going to raise money to get out. It’s just not happening. The SEC wasn’t going to take OU/UT until they got out of the GOR deal.

It sure seems like if the schools knew had a way out, they wouldn't be complaining.

Just find all the "Clemson and FSU upset about ACC media deal" narrative pretty funny as if the deal was made on their behalf against their will.