General Golf Thread

LafayetteBear

Heisman
Nov 30, 2009
35,104
10,585
113
Bryson content. VERY cool Mackenzie course. Wow, that would be fun to play.


Thanks for posting that. Watched the entire thing. I'm definitely gonna tell my friends about this course. We have Pebble set for next July (I've always wanted to play there), but the number and size of the redwood trees at this course suggests that it will be a more than worthwhile experience.
 

LafayetteBear

Heisman
Nov 30, 2009
35,104
10,585
113
I played at Cypress Point and LACC.
How in the hell did you get on Cypress Point?!! My guess is that you know a member, but the membership there is strictly capped at 250 worldwide, and only 75 or so are Monterey locals. Good for you. Tell us about your experience playing No. 16 there.
 
Last edited:

Shepdogg

Senior
Nov 1, 2021
418
482
63
How in the hell did you get on Cypress Point?!! My guess is that you know a member, but the membership there is strictly capped at 250 worldwide, and only 75 or so are Monterey locals. Good for you. Tell us about your experience playing No. 16 there.
My friend’s dad was a head pro in Philadelphia and he had a connection out there. I think it was a favor for a milestone anniversary. I remember hitting a 3 wood over the green and it needed up pretty much on the edge of the cliff in the ice plant on the back side of the green. Pretty sure I doubled it. I did birdie 15 and 18 and parred 17 though.
 

LionJim

Heisman
Oct 12, 2021
16,529
22,706
113
My friend’s dad was a head pro in Philadelphia and he had a connection out there. I think it was a favor for a milestone anniversary. I remember hitting a 3 wood over the green and it needed up pretty much on the edge of the cliff in the ice plant on the back side of the green. Pretty sure I doubled it. I did birdie 15 and 18 and parred 17 though.
Dang. I’m not a golfer but I’m sure this was a thrill for you. Attaboy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Shepdogg

Catch1lion

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
4,202
7,150
113
I played at Cypress Point and LACC.
My golf course superintendent was well known and was able to get a foursome on at Cypress Point. However they were instructed to get on and play and don't hang out. LOL. They've played a ton of places and most had CP at #1.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Shepdogg

Catch1lion

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
4,202
7,150
113
This Good Good controversy is crazy over the poor taste commercial. I never heard of GG before, and likely won't hear of it again. Like what test audience thought it was a good idea to have a lady golfer shoved over ? I don't feel too bad for the company as it was a bad decision, but the employees losing jobs stinks.
 

Catch1lion

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
4,202
7,150
113
PXG kicking some sand on them. Parsons not letting an opportunity go to waste.
 

WaffleShopper

All-Conference
Sep 20, 2023
578
1,213
93
This Good Good controversy is crazy over the poor taste commercial. I never heard of GG before, and likely won't hear of it again. Like what test audience thought it was a good idea to have a lady golfer shoved over ? I don't feel too bad for the company as it was a bad decision, but the employees losing jobs stinks.

YouTube golf content is huge right now and Good Good is probably one of the most popular. They are big with all the younger golfers I know and I see their hats and head covers all the time.

The problem with that commercial is that it was stupid and unfunny. But we’ve become a pearl clutching society so I guess they should have known better.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Catch1lion

psuro

Heisman
Aug 24, 2001
9,756
21,474
113
I went to see Rush on Friday night in Philly.

A friend of a friend said he swears he saw Alex Lifeson playing a round at Pine Valley on Sat. I did not believe him but then stumbled upon a Video from morning radio DJs Preston and Steve (WMMR) in which Preston said he played a round with Alex Lifeson on Sat.

Apparently Lifeson is not too bad. And neither is Preston (8 handicap)

Had to call my friend and apologize for not believing him.
 
Last edited:

Nittering Nabob

All-Conference
Sep 17, 2024
3,625
3,444
113
Thanks for posting that. Watched the entire thing. I'm definitely gonna tell my friends about this course. We have Pebble set for next July (I've always wanted to play there), but the number and size of the redwood trees at this course suggests that it will be a more than worthwhile experience.
Have you and your friends ever played this course? It would make for a great weekend exploring Santa Barbara area wineries.

 
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Knickslions69

psuro

Heisman
Aug 24, 2001
9,756
21,474
113
2 in Alaska
1 in Arizona
4 in Cali
3 in Conn
7 in Florida
1 in Georgia
1 in Kentucky
2 in PA
1 in WV
1 in Wisky
23 total...not terrible.
If you ever get a chance, hit up New Mexico. I played Paa-ko Ridge and Black Mesa there (probably 20 years ago) and both of those courses are phenomenal and I thought (at the time) they were reasonably priced. As one of the starters at Black Mesa told me - "When it comes to golf, New Mexico is a poor man's Arizona."
 
Last edited:

MtNittany

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
3,756
5,282
113

How many have you played? I got 27.
The FL rankings are wayyyyy Stream Song leaning. Funny, Cabot Farms - former World Woods was once what Stream Song is. Before bankruptcy. The Park is way overrated as well. PGA National Champ - with wind - is the hardest public available golf course in the state other than maybe TPC.

I would add that North Palm Beach CC and The Palm Beach Par 3 are better than many mentioned.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chumboshifko1

psuro

Heisman
Aug 24, 2001
9,756
21,474
113
i assume you are counting any and not just the number 1. Surprisingly I had 24. Easy to get MD, Del, VA, NC and SC for me.
Yes any on the list. Easy for me to get to Pa Md, NJ Va. I had several in SC.
 

leftcoastdoug

Redshirt
Jan 29, 2002
3
3
3
A little surprised at 32 with caveats. Memorial Park in TX before Doak redo and Pinehurst #4 Fazio before Hanse.
 

MtNittany

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
3,756
5,282
113
Big weekend for members at the club. Ryan Armour is leading the Champions Tour event at Pebble and Eric Cole is still trying to win a quasi tour event in Assville.

Ryan has been scorching that tour the past 3 weeks. Very happy for him.
 

MtNittany

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
3,756
5,282
113
I guess Ryan is tied for the lead w/ 18 holes left today. Weird format w/ both Pebble and Spyglass + playing w/ a First Tee junior golfer each round.



Armour carded birdies at Nos. 3, 10, 14 and 15 before dropping a stroke with his lone bogey at the par-4 No. 16.


“I actually drove it poorly for me, which I was missing some fairways and hitting in places I usually have not seen,” Armour said. “But iron game was solid, stayed below the hole quite a bit. Then I holed some putts on the back nine, made a solid putt on 10, 14, 15. Then barely missed one on 17. Let one get away from me on 16. But overall, when I can get out of here at 3 under at Spy, I’m happy.
 

Nittering Nabob

All-Conference
Sep 17, 2024
3,625
3,444
113
It was interesting that President Trump shook hands with every Team USA player on tee #1, disappeared, and then shows up for the trophy presentation.

Equally interesting was the response of individual Team USA members as they exchanged handshakes with the POTUS.

I find human responses, especially in unpleasant interactive situations, to be interesting.
 

MtNittany

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
3,756
5,282
113
I didn't watch a minute of this made for tv disaster. I'll just say that PDJT is a great friend to golf and all the professionals I have known and have had as friends over the years (including his Pro at Bedminster) hold him in high regard.
 

CDLionFL

All-Conference
Oct 25, 2021
1,764
2,694
113
I wonder what the response/scrutiny would have been had a player ignored him on the first tee.
 

Erial_Lion

All-American
Nov 1, 2021
4,230
5,024
113
  • Like
Reactions: Catch1lion

MtNittany

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
3,756
5,282
113
One of the reasons I pay no attention to both the Ryder Cup and the President's Cup is fan behavior.

What are you going to do about it PGA of America and PGA Tour? Anything?

I know where I'd start taking out the trash and set some examples - The Wasted Management.
 

Nittering Nabob

All-Conference
Sep 17, 2024
3,625
3,444
113
One of the reasons I pay no attention to both the Ryder Cup and the President's Cup is fan behavior.

What are you going to do about it PGA of America and PGA Tour? Anything?

I know where I'd start taking out the trash and set some examples - The Wasted Management.
They need to adopt the policies of Augusta National...absolutely no phones and no yelling else you get booted.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lil Nicky Scarfo

Erial_Lion

All-American
Nov 1, 2021
4,230
5,024
113
One of the reasons I pay no attention to both the Ryder Cup and the President's Cup is fan behavior.

What are you going to do about it PGA of America and PGA Tour? Anything?

I know where I'd start taking out the trash and set some examples - The Wasted Management.
Even the US Open was terrible this year. Just another reason why The Masters is so great...you'd never see any of this crap at it.
 
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI A top Penn State defender is questionable for Northwestern; see the full Tuesday availability report here
  2. 02 BWI Football Matt Campbell has replayed Penn State’s loss ‘a million times’: Here’s what he sees now
  3. 03 BWI Penn State wrestling 2026-2027 schedule: See the full list of opponents; how many BJC duals are there?
  4. 04 BWI Recruiting Four under-the-radar visitors from this past weekend that Penn State fans need to know
  5. 05 BWI Football How Penn State Uses Josiah Zayas and Zion Tracy So Differently at the Same Position