Gilliam Ratings

Daboyz19

Sophomore
Dec 30, 2013
266
108
0
I noticed a bias in Gilliam Ratings from east/west to north/south which could be true. Do you give extra points based on region?
 

DinwiddieProud

All-American
Dec 9, 2013
9,513
7,953
93
That's a curious question! Matt's formula incorporates a lot of factors. But none are subjective. They are mathematical. Pure and simple.

Also curious, which way do you see the bias? Not criticizing, your question, just wondering what you are seeing.
 

Daboyz19

Sophomore
Dec 30, 2013
266
108
0
East and South are probably stronger schools overall I was just wondering if he used that in his ratings. I'm from the NW and I've noticed football in the area isn't what it once was. We do have more kids going D1 than we use to but I don't think the teams are near as strong as they once were.
 
Jun 5, 2001
61,289
367
0
No, there's no accounting for that, but due to the way the system works, if a region does become stronger it will eventually start to show in the ratings. I have noticed the same thing you noticed. I wouldn't term it "bias," as a statistics teacher "bias" usually indicates to me some flaw that's giving false results. I would hope that maybe it's reflective of a real difference, and not a flaw. Also, sometimes it can appear that way, but one region just has a wider range of ratings than another, so the region has more of the top teams AND more of the bottom teams.
 
VirginiaPreps

Latest

  1. 01 High School Football Allow The St. James Academy (Va.) football to introduce themselves
  2. 02 High School Football High School Football: No. 1 IMG Academy beats The St. James Academy in nail biter
  3. 03 VirginiaPreps Football WEEK 6 Virginia High School Football Scores - 10-1-26 thru 10-5-26
  4. 04 VirginiaPreps Hatfield vs. Massey Fearless VHSL Friday Picks for 10-2-26 (WEEK 6)
  5. 05 VirginiaPreps Football Tidewater Predictions - 10-2-26 Edition (WEEK 6)