Harbaugh Deal Rejected

athenscock3

Feb 7, 2022
So the big bad toothless NCAA is rearing it’s head in the wild, Wild West that is now college football where recruits are being bought by the highest bidder. After years of pretending college athletes were ametures, now they are being bought out in the open by the highest bidder, instead of under the table. Go back to punishing schools for providing cookies and writing letters to kids who signed with the program.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
I think the penalty was too light when looked at next to other penalties in the past. The landscape is ever changing, so the penalties could as well. However, if you’re wanting to go by ncaa precedent - this case most closely mirrors Bruce Pearl’s case at Tennessee. Bruce had a recruit at a cookout (level 2), but then lied about it to the ncaa (level 1). Harbaugh bought a burger for recruits that had already signed, but not enrolled (level 2), but then lied about it even when shown video evidence (level 1). Pearl got a three year show cause - Harbaugh was trying to get four games.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
What is the intent of the NCAA? More severe penalties swiftly imposed or just more delay until it really doesn't matter as is the pattern in recent years?

muscleknight

Jan 20, 2022
Harbie wants to serve his suspension during the cup cake games. If suspension is the only punishment then at least suspend him for the big games like Ohio State.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
What is the intent of the NCAA? More severe penalties swiftly imposed or just more delay until it really doesn't matter as is the pattern in recent years?
I think their intent is probably to have the penalties to be as consistent as possible. A negotiated resolution is different than a case that goes through a full hearing (NR's can never be used as precedent - but they're also supposed to save time.) However, just looking back at the Pearl example that I mentioned before. Pearl was suspended for over 1,000 days - Harbaugh was trying to get 4 days total for essentially the same offense. There's probably too much of a divide to accept the NR.

But now, Harbaugh will coach every down of this coming season as his hearing won't take place until 2024. Then if he is dead in the water, he can take an NFL job. I feel like all his eggs are in this season's basket. Might as well delay potential penalties and go for it in 2023.

Reactions: Prestonyte

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I think their intent is probably to have the penalties to be as consistent as possible. A negotiated resolution is different than a case that goes through a full hearing (NR's can never be used as precedent - but they're also supposed to save time.) However, just looking back at the Pearl example that I mentioned before. Pearl was suspended for over 1,000 days - Harbaugh was trying to get 4 days total for essentially the same offense. There's probably too much of a divide to accept the NR.

But now, Harbaugh will coach every down of this coming season as his hearing won't take place until 2024. Then if he is dead in the water, he can take an NFL job. I feel like all his eggs are in this season's basket. Might as well delay potential penalties and go for it in 2023.
That was exactly my thought and why I asked the question. Delay to coach this season and jump to NFL if the heat comes for next season is probably the legal strategy he and his attorney agreed upon.

Silverspur02

Joined Jan 26, 2006 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
It means his suspension will now come during Next years Spring Practice scrimmages...

Reactions: MrCockStrong

be cocky

Joined Jan 29, 2019 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 21, 2022
Harbie wants to serve his suspension during the cup cake games. If suspension is the only punishment then at least suspend him for the big games like Ohio State.
punish him, not the kids. i’d say take half his paycheck.

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
From what I understand the penalty is for lying or misleading the NCAA when questioned. The infractions themselves were not that serious. CFB coaches are generally nuttier than squirrel turds and Harbaugh is among the nuttiest. Just fall on the sword and move along. This is something that bothers me about some coworkers. They'll never admit to fault on anything. I can respect someone who owns up and moves forward because everyone makes mistakes. I can't respect someone who lies about it when confronted.

Reactions: Lurker123

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Case is now expected to snake through the NCAA disciplinary system which will likely take it into the offseason, so Harbaugh will likely coach all of 2023.

Lesson learned.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I think this signals a much more severe punishment coming. This is similar to the Bruce Pearl scenario. Pearl was essentially suspended for 4 years. JH was trying to get 4 games. Not surprising that they rejected it. If they're going to bang him for a similar punishment, I'm good with them dotting the I's and crossing the T's, and letting the current season play out as to not punish the players.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Here’s what I think happens: Penalty was deemed too light.

NCAA rejected it. They’ll file it away for some time to consider more serious punishment while Harbaugh coaches the full season.

NCAA botches the whole thing. In the end his punishment will be far less severe than the 4 Games offered. Maybe the opener next year, or no games at all…just some restrictions.

Or, Harbaugh finally bolts for the NFL again, and they slap a silly show / cause on him.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Here’s what I think happens: Penalty was deemed too light.

NCAA rejected it. They’ll file it away for some time to consider more serious punishment while Harbaugh coaches the full season.

NCAA botches the whole thing. In the end his punishment will be far less severe than the 4 Games offered. Maybe the opener next year, or no games at all…just some restrictions.

Or, Harbaugh finally bolts for the NFL again, and they slap a silly show / cause on him.
I think there's next to a 0% chance it's lighter than the 4 games. I think he's going to get hit pretty hard. Of course, he could avoid it and bolt to the NFL until his show/cause runs out. It's still going to impact him. He's right where he wants to be right now, with one of the top 5 jobs in the country.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I think there's next to a 0% chance it's lighter than the 4 games. I think he's going to get hit pretty hard. Of course, he could avoid it and bolt to the NFL until his show/cause runs out. It's still going to impact him. He's right where he wants to be right now, with one of the top 5 jobs in the country.

I simply have no faith in the NCAA at this point. I'd like yo agree with you, but I can't see the NCAA doing the tough thing, only the easy one.

Reactions: Prestonyte

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
I simply have no faith in the NCAA at this point. I'd like yo agree with you, but I can't see the NCAA doing the tough thing, only the easy one.
Yeah, it isn’t that I don’t believe they fully intend to give him worse. I just fully expect them to drop the ball as usual

Reactions: Lurker123