Have we been the least productive team in the SEC at the QB position?

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Was reading somewhere someone predicted Minnesota would pick Rattler at 23.

According to a mock draft from PFF on the eve of the draft, the South Carolina quarterback has a chance to go among the first 32 picks. In the mock posted by Timo Riske, Rattler is one of seven quarterbacks off the board in the 2024 draft. That would break the record of six taken in the 1983 NFL Draft.

Here's where Riske projects the QBs to be drafted:

• Caleb Williams No. 1 to Chicago Bears
  • Drake Maye No. 2 to Washington Commanders
  • Jayden Daniels No. 3 to New England Patriots
  • J.J. McCarthy No. 6 to New York Giants
  • Bo Nix No. 12 to Denver Broncos
  • Michael Penix Jr. No. 13 to Las Vegas Raiders
  • Spencer Rattler No. 23 to Minnesota Vikings

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I believe Ellis is our ONLY quarterback drafted.

It's definitely an interesting conversation that I have no clue what the answer is. At least Rattler will break that trend this weekend.
... thanks to the portal

Reactions: will110

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Truth is I have always wondered how good we would be with a star QB. Although we have had a few good ones in my time, I never felt we had what could be considered a star QB until we got Rattler. Lets just say I wont be spending years or decades again wondering how good we will be with a star QB. Kinda felt like I got my answer.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Dang, I thought Steve Spurrier was a great coach and Connor Shaw a dang good college QB before I read this thread. šŸ¤£

Reactions: will110

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Dang, I thought Steve Spurrier was a great coach and Connor Shaw a dang good college QB before I read this thread. šŸ¤£
Some posters in this thread just like to take a dump on anything positive in Gamecock history for whatever reason.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Nobody has knocked Shaw. Not sure where you are getting that from.

Nobody has said anything about Spurrier that hasn't been said a thousand times and things he hasn't said himself. He's on the record saying he wasn't a hard worker, not the kind to burn the midnight oil like Saban. And, yes, his first 5 years here were just so-so. Those are plain facts.

I loved SOS but I can be objective as well. Sometimes we forget, but most of us were having some doubts after Year 5. We were under .500 overall in conference play and a tick over .500 overall. We had gone to 4 bowls, but lost 3 of them. The saving grace, even though our records weren't that great, was that we mixed in some wins over UT/UF/UGA, which was a big deal for us. But those first 5 years did not live up to our expectations at the time, based on what we thought we were getting with Spurrier, record-wise or as far as offense. It's not that we weren't improved at all, but sub-.500 in conference play after 5 seasons is not what anyone would have guessed when we hired Spurrier.

Last edited:

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Nobody has knocked Shaw. Not sure where you are getting that from.

Nobody has said anything about Spurrier that hasn't been said a thousand times and things he hasn't said himself. He's on the record saying he wasn't a hard worker, not the kind to burn the midnight oil like Saban. And, yes, his first 5 years here were just so-so. Those are plain facts.

I loved SOS but I can be objective as well. Sometimes we forget, but most of us were having some doubts after Year 5. We were under .500 overall in conference play and a tick over .500 overall. We had gone to 4 bowls, but lost 3 of them. The saving grace, even though our records weren't that great, was that we mixed in some wins over UT/UF/UGA, which was a big deal for us. But those first 5 years did not live up to our expectations at the time, based on what we thought we were getting with Spurrier, record-wise or as far as offense. It's not that we weren't improved at all, but sub-.500 in conference play after 5 seasons is not what anyone would have guessed when we hired Spurrier.
Shaw was the ''model'' college QB.
With the portal and NIL, I don't think that type player will exist going forward.

Benjdan

Joined Mar 4, 2007
Feb 19, 2022
Spurrier was supposed to be the qb whisperer and, outside of Shaw who was a good qb but not close to an NFL type, all of his qbs were mediocre at best.
Except for that other one who owns the single season record for most passing yards.