Having been to last night's game...

TnDawg76

Feb 17, 2008
that was about the closest thing to NCAA tournament atmosphere our team could get. What a game! Easily one of, if not the, best basketball game I have ever been to. Here's my take:

Our Team:
We played a pretty solid SEC road game. Free throws were terrible, and yes cost us the game. Other things cost us the game too though, including the lack of Hansbrough until overtime (he was as cold as Foster was hot), shot selection by Rhodes and Gordon was bad in the first half (Gordon wants to shoot the 3 ball way too much), and the lack of points we created off of Vandy turnovers. Vandy played horribly in the first half. They could not buy a shot for the longest time and turned it over alot as well. We did not capitalize on these opportunities like we had to to win. I'm not down on any one player at all, I think our guys all really played hard and for the most part played well.

Our Coach:
Two complaints. One the play we drew up with 1.6 seconds left in regulation was too obvious. I think everyone of the 14,000 fans knew Gordon was taking the shot. I would have thought an inbounds to Rhodes under the basket and just let him go up and get the shot off and see if he could hit it or get the foul would have been less expected. Two I don't understand why we sub 4 guys in at once and keep them out there so long. We played about 5 minutes of the first half with our second team in the game. Rotate our subs in and keep at least 3 starters out there seems to make more sense to me. I do not claim to know anything about basketball coaching though, and for the most part I thought Stans had a heck of a game plan in place.

Foster:
Unbelievable performance. People say double him. We did. People on here say we should have denied the passing lanes to him. We did. We cut Foster off as good as anyone could. He would literally go around and one of his guys would hand the ball off like a quarterback and then he'd heave a shot from 30 feet out with two guys in his face and sink it. All nine shots were pure beauties. No rim touches, just nothing but net.

That said if we had played them on a neutral court we'd have won in regulation by 10. They are a good basketball team, that is a great team at home.

Sutterkane

Jan 23, 2007
is why complain about THIS loss? Yes I am pissed we lost and we really should've won the game, but we weren't expected or predicted to win outside of our own fanbase. Vandy is a top 15 team and probably a top 5 or top 10 team at home. They beat the #1 team in the country a week previous on the same court. They stroked UK by 40 there this year. If we had lost like this at home, then I'd say you have good reason to be pissed. If anything, Vandy should be worried. They are not going to get 40 point performances out of Foster every night. It was his last game on his home court, he wanted to go out with a bang, and he did. I don't remember this much outrage when we lost to UT at home a few weeks ago. Hell we even dominated the game. This is the first game we've lost that I felt like we should have won since probably December. Not supposed to win, but should have.

KurtRambis4

Aug 30, 2006
is the people (fishwater) saying we should have denied him the ball, denied him teh ball and denied him the ball. doubled him double him doubled him. they act as if we just sat there and didn't even TRY to defend him. people, we put our best effort on him.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
I disagree on the play with 1.6 seconds left in regulation. Gordon got a wide open look from 10 feet. It just didn't fall.

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
Why didn't we foul him on the last possesion though? If the guy is hitting threes like he has all night, then you foul him on the last possesion in OT and make him shoot two and go into double OT. I just don't get that part. I think our free throws and foster beat us, but we could have fouled him and made him go for two for at least another OT.

PineGroveBully

Nov 13, 2007
You could ask 100 D1 coaches would you foul there and 99 would say no. Mark Gotfried might give you a maybe. I didnt think we would survive the first overtime and now your wanting to play another without Gordon possibly. Plus the rule of thumb is you go for the tie at home and win on the road so even if they go for two your odds are still better than if you foul him. A hell of a basketball player made a hell of a play. All you can say.

TnDawg76

Feb 17, 2008
surely he was due to miss. He was only 8 for 8 at that point. How many players hit 9 in a row? If we foul, he's a lock to make them both. I would think you'd get in his face and try to deny the shot. We did this. He hit it. Case closed.

Uncle Leo

Jun 30, 2006
...And I mean NEVER, do you foul on purpose in the closing seconds when you are only up by 2. Up by 3? Perhaps a solid strategy. Should we have fouled when we were up by 3 at the end of regulation? Maybe... But I still say there was too much time on the clock to start that (14 seconds left when Foster tied it in regulation), especially given how we were shooting FTs.

But to give your opponent a free chance at the line to tie the game is ridiculous. Play it straight up. Make them make a play. If they do, so be it.

FlabLoser

Aug 20, 2006
I wish last night was our last game before the tournament. It was a good game to ready the team for intense tournament play.

I hope LSU brings the house to Starkville.

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
Uncle Leo said:
...And I mean NEVER, do you foul on purpose in the closing seconds when you are only up by 2. Up by 3? Perhaps a solid strategy. Should we have fouled when we were up by 3 at the end of regulation? Maybe... But I still say there was too much time on the clock to start that (14 seconds left when Foster tied it in regulation), especially given how we were shooting FTs.

But to give your opponent a free chance at the line to tie the game is ridiculous. Play it straight up. Make them make a play. If they do, so be it.

</p>I understand that, but the guy had 39 points and was NOT missing a 3. Isn't going into double overtime better then losing?

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
Center Z said:
is 10x creepier now that it's bigger on Yuku.

</p>I changed it because it got pixelated when we got yukued. I have to find the original somewhere and resize it.

muddawgs33

Aug 28, 2007
I understand that, but the guy had 39 points and was NOT missing a 3. Isn't going into double overtime better then losing?
Thank you ole psychic one. If we would have had you sitting next to Stans, you could have told him that Foster was about to hit his 9th straight 3 and we needed to foul him. Gordon just went out and was probably not going to make it back into the game and I don't know about you, but I would much rather take a chance on Vandy earning the win, rather than giving them the tie and going to double O.T. without one of your best players. Vandy earned the win and it's time to get over it and move on.

Seshomoru

Apr 24, 2006
Stansfield said:
Why didn't we foul him on the last possesion though? If the guy is hitting threes like he has all night, then you foul him on the last possesion in OT and make him shoot two and go into double OT. I just don't get that part. I think our free throws and foster beat us, but we could have fouled him and made him go for two for at least another OT.
Dude.

No.

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
..but the odds before he shoots the ball are much more in our favor to win the game making him shoot a contested 30 foot three instead of giving them a greater than 50/50 chance of winning at home in double OT.

Anybody that thinks we should've fouled should no longer be taken seriously when discussing basketball. It's that ridiculous.