Here's the way to get rid of Croom:

patdyeisstilldrunk

Oct 28, 2008
I think it will cost just less than $2 million to buy out all assistant coaches. Byrne should tell Croom that we have the $$$ to buy them out and he (Croom) MUST replace everyone...period. Knowing Croom's loyalty to Woody, among others, he would likely say, "NO, I can't do that." That would give Byrne the opportunity to say, "Fire them or resign as head coach." If Croom resigns his position, the University is not obligated to pay out his contract.

This is not as far-fetched of a scenario as most might think, knowing Croom's relationship w/ Woody and other coaches. Byrne has the authority to make the decision outlined above, and then the ball is in Croom's court: hire new coaches or quit. And we pray that he takes the high-road and resigns.

Thoughts?

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
it has been well documented that Croom has made some really bad decisions in the past, so maybe it's not out of the realm of possibilty. Byrne would have him 4th and 15 with four minutes left in the game, so to speak.

Dawgbreeze

Jun 11, 2007
Pretty good idea but what if he says, okay, "I'll hire some more who aren't any better".

patdyeisstilldrunk

Oct 28, 2008
If he says "Okay, I'll fire them," then hires a completely new staff, it couldn't be much worse than it is now. There's always the chance that a miracle could happen and they would be better. If a new staff as bad (or worse), then Croom gets the boot after next year. I think we're stuck with Croom next year unless he resigns - according to the scenario above. If he doesn't, and loses next year with a new staff, then Greg loses support if he doesn't get rid of Croom at that time.

ben2atlanta

Mar 3, 2008
I was at the game last night. It seems that State is not improving while other teams around us are such as Ole Miss. It's very frustrating to think and say the score could have been worse, so that is the victory. Does State keep Croom? I think it will depend on if Croom will replace the coaches such as the offensive staff and special teams. Croom will need to hire a offensive cordinator who can teach and implement a offensive scheme that works and players that can learn it. Same for special teams. Croom will need a new and good class coming in next year. Currently he does and hope they will honor there verbal. He does that then keep him. If he refuses then terminate him and hire a new coach. It's very clear that Croom's current system is not working. We the fans pay his salary and the return on the investment is not looking good. If it gets worse maybe we can get the Federal Government to give State a bail out plan. For what it is worth, Lee did the best he could in a hostile enviroment. Would be nice to watch players with better skills and physicial stature play with his intensity.</p>