Hit piece on Dawn Staley....just disgusting

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Reactions: Cola GCock

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
The media and even Gamecock fans were all over Dabo...He toned it down...we shall see if Coach does the same thing.

Reactions: Sis_aac9

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Feb 24, 2024
The media and even Gamecock fans were all over Dabo...He toned it down...we shall see if Coach does the same thing.
Agree. Dabo had a lot of similar treatment.

Dawn talking about God in an interview doesn't say anything about the operating environment of the team. It just connects to Dawn's personal thoughts.

Things like required chapel service would be a different story.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Agree. Dabo had a lot of similar treatment.

Dawn talking about God in an interview doesn't say anything about the operating environment of the team. It just connects to Dawn's personal thoughts.

Things like required chapel service would be a different story.

I think they are alleging her team devotionals basically constitute a Bible study and that players would feel compelled to participate

Reactions: TN-Gamecock

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Waiting for the follow up article on the Mulkey ''team culture'' devotional meetings. lol

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
I would say we have to be respectful of all people and not all people are Christian. I know that we have families of other faiths that are Gamecock supporters. I happen to be one of those people that can get very turned off when people start spousing anything that has to do with spiritual beliefs. It is a personal thing just like politics, money, sexuality and family matters. I don't care about anyone of those things as it relates to you as a person. I care about sports.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I would say we have to be respectful of all people and not all people are Christian. I know that we have families of other faiths that are Gamecock supporters. I happen to be one of those people that can get very turned off when people start spousing anything that has to do with spiritual beliefs. It is a personal thing just like politics, money, sexuality and family matters. I don't care about anyone of those things as it relates to you as a person. I care about sports.
And you and they have the right to be turned off. I get turned off when folks talk about soccer, but I'm not going to suggest they shouldn't talk about it.

Guy in the Back

Jan 22, 2022
Quite frankly, I have no problem with the Bible studies/devotionals. As I have said on here before, part of our society’s downfall is the fact that God has been removed from everything. Along with it went the nuclear family. Even if the God part is ignored, the principles taught in the Bible, if followed, would result in the betterment of society.

What I do have a problem with is her calling her team Jesus. If that is actually happening, that is blasphemy. I’d tread lightly on that one!

Reactions: Sweetwatergolf

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022

What makes it disrespectful to others? It is literally commanded to saved Christians to go and preach the gospel. It’s called the great commission. People can agree or disagree but she can speak her mind on it.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Many people associate religious talk with "witnessing". It doesn't have to be that way.

If you discuss religion from an academic / educational /explanatory viewpoint without any whiff of conversion, that's fine, e.g., what is Ramadan all about? What is Passover all about? Why do Muslims abstain from pork? Why do Jews keep kosher? It is possible to discuss such topics to explain and learn/understand a little better our fellow humans who may differ from us.

Personally, I think that "state" should be supportive of "church", i.e., all religions which promote goodwill among all and not violence. No preference given to any one religion by "state.". It should be a partnership, not adversarial. And agnostics and atheists must be given the same respect as "believers" - whatever the person's individual belief might be. If a religious group want to rent a public space for a function, great - give them the same rental terms as any civic organization, which includes not disturbing the peace. Hard-nosed witnessing, IMO does disturb the peace.

But if the talk drifts toward "witnessing", "my way or you're going to h3ll,", etc. than I'm with TN-Gamecock 100%.

I'm thrilled that Dawn's belief gives her comfort and motivation, and sharing that is fine. But even in mildly stating "issues" she has about non-belief I think she went a bit too far.

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
What makes it disrespectful to others? It is literally commanded to saved Christians to go and preach the gospel. It’s called the great commission. People can agree or disagree but she can speak her mind on it.
I have a Jewish friend in Columbia whose father ran a small retail store for several decades. There was one woman who used to witness every time she came into his store to shop. One day, when she came in, he finally had enough of it, and told her "Ma'am, my late father was a righteous man and a proud Jew who treated everyone fairly regardless of their religion and took care of his family. Wherever he is now, when it's my time to go, that's where I want to be." No more witnessing.

If when someone tries to witness and the "witnessee" says "not interested" and the "witnesser" keeps going, that is disrespectful.

Personally, I think the best form of "witnessing" is to live an exemplary life. Be an example of the best your faith has to offer. That alone will attract those interested. Do you really want someone in your faith community who feels coerced into being a part of it?

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Are we talking actual coercion or manipulation? I'll stand with any person who stands with Jesus until that person becomes obnoxious or overbearing. In that case, I'll stand with Jesus and the proponents of our faith who are not over the top. I don't regard dissemination of plain Bible teaching as obnoxious unless done in an obnoxious way. I know it when I see it.

The coup nazi

Joined Sep 19, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Google the writer of that hit piece. Look at her picture(s). Read about/over some of her writings. You can see for yourself who she is, and what she's about. If a hit piece was to be written, they picked the best one to do it.

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
I have a Jewish friend in Columbia whose father ran a small retail store for several decades. There was one woman who used to witness every time she came into his store to shop. One day, when she came in, he finally had enough of it, and told her "Ma'am, my late father was a righteous man and a proud Jew who treated everyone fairly regardless of their religion and took care of his family. Wherever he is now, when it's my time to go, that's where I want to be." No more witnessing.

If when someone tries to witness and the "witnessee" says "not interested" and the "witnesser" keeps going, that is disrespectful.

Personally, I think the best form of "witnessing" is to live an exemplary life. Be an example of the best your faith has to offer. That alone will attract those interested. Do you really want someone in your faith community who feels coerced into being a part of it?
Our team does not appear to have been coerced by DS. They appear to adore her.

Reactions: moouclem

GandBinNC

Joined Jul 12, 2011 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 28, 2022
Something to this. I have been sort of disgusted by a lot of Dabo's antics over the years. The overt religiosity, the cozying up to (and financial entanglements with) a mega church, having players baptized on the practice field, etc. To me it all just seems odd, misplaced, and frankly, creepy.

Dawn's postgame comments struck me too, as being somewhat more strident, almost over-the-top that I have heard from her before ("if you don't believe in God there's something wrong with you,"). But I chalked it up to the excitement of the moment. I think her response to the "controversy" on X was spot on.

All in all, the opinion piece on the Daily Beast is just that - an opinion piece. A tempest in a teacup, and not worthy of a lot of hyperventilating.

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022

I can't say I agree with you unless I knew the context as to how the message was being shared. I can envision an instance where the manner in which the "witnessing" would be overbearing, in which case I would say yes that is disrespectful. However, on the other hand, the simple act of continuously sharing the gospel in order to save someone's soul that is done in a gentle and caring way isn't disrespectful in the slightest way in my opinion, no matter how many times it was done. As a matter of fact it's the opposite. As a Christian, I'd argue taking a hands off approach and saying "Welp, their loss. Sucks for them." is about the most unloving thing a person who truly believes in the resurrected Christ could do. So, again, depending on the manner in which it was done I'd say it could have possibly been annoying, but it's not disrespectful to share the gospel.

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
The Bible actually calls on you to be a witness
That's my point to others. Telling a Christian they're not allowed to spread the gospel is in itself a form of religious oppression. That's literally what it means to be a practicing Christian.

Reactions: secocks

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I can't say I agree with you unless I knew the context as to how the message was being shared. I can envision an instance where the manner in which the "witnessing" would be overbearing, in which case I would say yes that is disrespectful. However, on the other hand, the simple act of continuously sharing the gospel in order to save someone's soul that is done in a gentle and caring way isn't disrespectful in the slightest way in my opinion, no matter how many times it was done. As a matter of fact it's the opposite. As a Christian, I'd argue taking a hands off approach and saying "Welp, their loss. Sucks for them." is about the most unloving thing a person who truly believes in the resurrected Christ could do. So, again, depending on the manner in which it was done I'd say it could have possibly been annoying, but it's not disrespectful to share the gospel.
But "sharing" it again and again and again, you become a pest. Especially if the "witnessee" is strong in their own faith.

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
Witness by living an exemplary life. Be kind, honest, and charitable to all.
The gospel is more than examples of what right and wrong are. It's not something we can "show" others because the gospel is the message that actions can never and will never be enough because we are imperfect beings born with a sinful nature. An individual has to recognize that they're in need of a savior to begin with. That's not something you can show, but something that has to be shared through testimony and scripture.

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
But "sharing" it again and again and again, you become a pest. Especially if the "witnessee" is strong in their own faith.
Again, I won't disagree with that, but it's not disrespectful as originally claimed to be.

secocks

Joined Sep 12, 1999
Jan 26, 2022
Witness by living an exemplary life. Be kind, honest, and charitable to all.
Acts 1-8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
ACT’s 10-14And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
The gospel is more than examples of what right and wrong are. It's not something we can "show" others because the gospel is the message that actions can never and will never be enough because we are imperfect beings born with a sinful nature. An individual has to recognize that they're in need of a savior to begin with. That's not something you can show, but something that has to be shared through testimony and scripture.
That is a Christian perspective. Not all religions share the Christian theology that man is born sinful.

• Love

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
That is a Christian perspective. Not all religions share the Christian theology that man is born sinful.

That’s not the point we’re discussing. The point is that a practicing Christian has to have the freedom to simply share their testimony, regardless of whether anyone agrees with it or finds it "annoying." To say they aren't allowed to share those personal beliefs with anyone can be argued to fall into the category of religious oppression.

P.S. It also doesn’t mean it’s the incorrect perspective.

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
That’s not the point we’re discussing. The point is that a practicing Christian has to have the freedom to simply share their testimony, regardless of whether anyone agrees with it or finds it "annoying." To say they aren't allowed to share those personal beliefs with anyone can be argued to fall into the category of religious oppression.

P.S. It also doesn’t mean it’s the incorrect perspective.

If somebody tries to sell me something, and I state that I'm not interested, that should be the end of it. If someone cold calls me wanting to buy my house, and I state that it's not for sale and I'm not interested in selling it, end of discussion. If someone wants to sell me on their idea of the truth of the New Testament, and I state that I'm not interested, that too is the end of the discussion.

Yes, the solicitor has the right to solicit - ABSOLUTELY - and if/when the buyer says no, that should be the end of it.

Nobody knows anything for certain beyond the shadow of an objective doubt. And citing anything out of any kind of religious text, Christian or otherwise, does not change that. That's why it's called faith.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022

Personally, I think the best form of "witnessing" is to live an exemplary life. Be an example of the best your faith has to offer. That alone will attract those interested. Do you really want someone in your faith community who feels coerced into being a part of

If you are speaking of the Bluestein's, I knew them. They owned a mercantile store in downtown Columbia. I am friends with agnostics, JEWS, Catholics, Buddhists......

The one that works better for me is Buddhism...I keep it simple and the Buddha said it best, "life was meant to be enjoyed and suffering is optional". IF something is bothering me, "I change my mind". Boy did that change my life. I joke about being in recovery from "Christianity" with my friends and they so get it.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
If you are speaking of the Bluestein's, I knew them. They owned a mercantile store in downtown Columbia. I am friends with agnostics, JEWS, Catholics, Buddhists......

The one that works better for me is Buddhism...I keep it simple and the Buddha said it best, "life was meant to be enjoyed and suffering is optional". IF something is bothering me, "I change my mind". Boy did that change my life. I joke about being in recovery from "Christianity" with my friends and they so get it.
Not the Bluestein's, although I was acquainted with Leon Bluestein.

BftCocks09

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Jan 24, 2022
If somebody tries to sell me something, and I state that I'm not interested, that should be the end of it. If someone cold calls me wanting to buy my house, and I state that it's not for sale and I'm not interested in selling it, end of discussion. If someone wants to sell me on their idea of the truth of the New Testament, and I state that I'm not interested, that too is the end of the discussion.

Yes, the solicitor has the right to solicit - ABSOLUTELY - and if/when the buyer says no, that should be the end of it.

Nobody knows anything for certain beyond the shadow of an objective doubt. And citing anything out of any kind of religious text, Christian or otherwise, does not change that. That's why it's called faith.
Once again, spreading the gospel is a command given to Christians. It's not infringing on anyone's rights to give testimony and share beliefs, and preventing Christians to not follow that command is religious oppression. You can reject it as many times as you'd like, but it doesn't change the fact that I have every right to do it.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Once again, spreading the gospel is a command given to Christians. It's not infringing on anyone's rights to give testimony and share beliefs, and preventing Christians to not follow that command is religious oppression. You can reject it as many times as you'd like, but it doesn't change the fact that I have every right to do it.
You have every right to do it until the "recipient" says "stop".

Reactions: Anon1667100206

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
You have every right to do it until the "recipient" says "stop".
I've made Christian overtures in various ways to people over the years, but when they rebuff your appeal, there's no use in persisting. And yes, people have a right to ask a person to desist and to have that request respected.

Reactions: atl-cock

Latest posts